Getting back into tablism after about a decade, bring me upto speed tech wise!

Hi everyone, so I'm just getting back into tablism after a long break, since about 2006. When I moved into my own place there hasn't been anywhere to set my tables up properly so I've had one table and my mixer being a glorified record player for the last 10 years, unable to do any scratching or anything.

That's finally getting sorted but, probably to non-use all the faders on my mixer are fecked, so I'm looking for new ones but can't seem to find them anywhere. I've got a Ecler Hak 310, which I loved back in the day, but the faders for it seem to have been discontinued at most places so does anyone have a link for those?

Also, has the Eternal fader been stopped? And should I just stump up for a Innofader?

Also, I was reading in a similar thread that the Hak series are still pretty much amongst the standard for scratching and juggling? Is this correct or has there been a quantum leap in mixers that I missed? Should I just be buying a completely new mixer? If so, which is best value? I see Rane still seem to be shit hot and Vestax (RIP) are gone - who else are producing the goods?

Finally, someone tell me about DVS. Back when I fell out of touch, Serato and Final Scratch were about but weren't quite ready for full adoption, what's it like now? Which is the best system, are they compatible with any mixer? Would it be reccommended for ease of use, etc....

Cheers guys, I'll hopefully be able to post some inept scratching in a few months!

Guest Symatic

well...... if youre DIY inclined you could probably bring those faders back to life by taking them apart, cleaning them with alcohol form the chemist, and re-lubing them with Deoxit or something.

if it's DVS youre after you can pick up a 2nd hand Rane SL3 box which will allow you to run Serato for about £250-£300. Or you could get Traktor for similar kinda money.

Serato's still renowned for its stability i guess but Traktor does allow a lot of customization.

Or you could just get 2 birds stoned at once and get a DVS mixer, but theyre generally quite expensive. but it does make life easy and you'll have access to all sorts of cool effects and some finger-drumming/mpc type vibes.

or you could go oldschool and just buy a 2nd had vestax pmc 06 (before theyre all mutilated by the Midi-Note-Fader crew!) and some (cough cough) skip proof vinyl.

• Like 2

I asked pretty much the same question like 2 weeks ago. Stopped scratching around ~2008 and just recently decided to get back to it. I dug out my old vestax pmc 06 including a pro x fade and cutted on it for a few days but quickly decided to finally get myself an upgrade for the mixer since the vestax felt too heavy, too outdated, too outworn for me.

my highest priority was being able to scratch without any compromises and i considered getting myself an ecler HAK 360. Went to the local music store and decided to at least give all them different mixers and faders a try in order to see how things have changed over the last decade.

cutted a bit on rane mixers and found them to be really cool. the DVS mixers of rane however cost like 1700€ or something close to that range. not my budget. spotted the Traktor Kontrol z2 and immediately fell in love with its fader. tried the ecler hak 360 which i was inititally about to purchase but i didnt like the eternal fader as much as i liked the fader-feeling of the Kontrol z2, even though the eternal fader was really impressive in terms of smoothness. but it was too smooth for my taste. however, this is only a subjective feeling. you might feel different.

anyways, i was staying there not knowing what to do but i asked myself whether it's worth spending ~500€ on an analogue (and somewhat oldschool) mixer that comes with no real featues i'm looking for other than a very smooth crossfader OR getting myself the Kontrol Z2 whose fader i even enjoyed more for 600€ that's up to todays standards and comes with an integrated software + timecode vinyls. i chose the Kontrol Z2 and cutted like crazy the last 2 weeks on it an i'm having a blast. I am so glad i went with the Kontrol Z2 because even though i didnt even know i wanted to have an interface like Serato or Traktor i told myself that it's time for me to move on and it's not 2006 anymore and i didnt want to limit myself to an analogue mixer when a new DVS mixer can bring me so much further in basically every single aspect i have yet to discover.

you can still get yourself an analogue mixer like the Ecler Hak 360 and add an interface like serato additionally of course. but i'd rather upgrade the Z2 with an Innofader Pro 2 sooner or later. The default Fader (its an Innofader mini if i recall correctly) is still very nice in my opinion and does its job exceptionally well. so i'm in no rush for an upgrade, but will do so in the future.

it's really up to you. i'd suggest you to visit your local music store if there is one in your area and have a look at all the mixers and faders and decide for yourself what you're mainy looking for but still, this forum is the best place to get qualified answers :) the guys helped me out a lot. i'd also recommend checking my thread. i am sure you will find valuable suggestions for yourself.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Well I've pulled my finger out and given the faders a good clean and lube and they're working perfectly now so that's no longer an issue.

Now all I need to do is think about whether I want to stick with the 310 or step into the 2010s properly.

I get what you're saying about the added options of the new breed of digital mixers, but I don't know if I want anything like that. I get the feeling that if I was a guitar guy I'd be doing acoustic 99% of the time!!

I need to do what Porrtis has done and spend a few hours playing with different setups, so does anyone know a shop anywhere that has these set up to play with in north west England?

Also is the Hak 310 compatible with a DVS?

Guest Symatic

ah i'd suggest coming to a super scratch sunday cos we always have a bunch of different mixers on the go. its a bi-monthly scratch meet but generally its down south - still worth the mission tho - i used to mission from edinburgh :)