I just bought...

@Arkei and Flex

How did you get along working with the s-2000's ?..I'd be very interested in your opinions of the sampler.

I've never really used a rackmount sampler before but i'm looking forward to starting to learn about the capabilities of this machine..I've also seen that a company named Circuitbenders do a 'sample grinding' mod for the s-2000 which looks pretty interesting

https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/synthmod/S2000.html

S2000 is probably the easiest sampler ever to use, the OS on it is basic as fuck to go with the 2x LCD, if you havent learnt to use it in about 10-15 minutes i will be surprised, never had a manual, never needed one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Brought a Stanton SA-8 with focus fader in near mint conditon for a ton a few weeks ago. It feels nice to use and I really love cutting on it, Busting out the angles like DJ Disk :d

Props to Focus on designing such a dope mixer.

• Like 4

Cheers Arkei, recommend one really solid all round, it's a shame that they don't come up for sell that often on Ebay. Came up on my saved searches at work so I just went for it but if I ever get rid of it you can have first refusal dude :8

• 1 month later...
Guest Symatic

i got a Marantz CP430 the other day. It's the european verson of the PMD430 which goes for silly money on ebay, but they are identical. Mine was £60.

its a high quality portable cassette recorder with 3 heads which means you can do Delay with it, and it has pitch control, which looks relatively easy to mod to work while in record mode, which means you can do delay and mess with pitch and speed in a really nice analogy way.

Gonna be sick when it's finished :) then next level after that is to add filters and feedback within the box, which people have done on the youtube, and have a proper standalone portable tape delay!

• Like 2

i got a Marantz CP430 the other day. It's the european verson of the PMD430 which goes for silly money on ebay, but they are identical. Mine was £60.

its a high quality portable cassette recorder with 3 heads which means you can do Delay with it, and it has pitch control, which looks relatively easy to mod to work while in record mode, which means you can do delay and mess with pitch and speed in a really nice analogy way.

Gonna be sick when it's finished :) then next level after that is to add filters and feedback within the box, which people have done on the youtube, and have a proper standalone portable tape delay!

I never see nothing like this before, congrats!

Making a search I found Service Manual so I hope it could be useful to you ;)

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf5/111/11042/1104156-marantz/cp430.pdf?97bb3b8270b593cd10eab88f1605db6e&take=binary

Guest Symatic

nice one mutis - I appreciate the manual-digging man - but i actually already got that sucka :) it even points out exactly what i need to do to disable the pitch control's shutoff during record mode, which is what will let me play with the delays time live, because it has its own little section about how that circuit works :) SCORE

• Like 2

a PDX 8000. I feel like my vestax search is finally over. I love this table, it's great. I recommend that you all look for one. It has tsken me a whie but I prefere this model over all of the newer versions. Plus the red looks sick!

It is basically a PDXa3s, but souped up.

It may only have 12% pitch but everything else seems to be perfect.

I reccommend!

nice one mutis - I appreciate the manual-digging man - but i actually already got that sucka :) it even points out exactly what i need to do to disable the pitch control's shutoff during record mode, which is what will let me play with the delays time live, because it has its own little section about how that circuit works :) SCORE

Glad to read it, mate! I found it searching to know more about the machine. Seems very interesting ;)

Share your improvements, seems lots of fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just copped another Stanton SA-5 in mint condition with a cheeky make an offer bid of £60

• Like 1

...a piece of Japanese made plastic some call "the poor man's SP-1200" (Jury's still out on that description though)

Ive heard of a few samplers that have been called the poor mans Sp-1200 over the years, so what did you get ? the Zoom

St 224 ,Sp-303 or god forbid, a Roland MS1 hehe.

Please,enlighten me. :d

I just got this to add to my setup, although I didn't actually have to pay anything for it. Alecs picked three of these S2000's up last year at a cost of £60 for the lot from a studio that was closing down and kindly donated one to me ...finally collected mine this afternoon.. :d

Ahh cool. I just copped one of these. It was cheap enough & a bit of an impulse purchase.

No idea what I'm doing with it yet though haha

The Zoom is cool kit, Poor mans SP1200, fuck no.

A poor mans SP1200 is a SP1200, once you buy it, you are a fucking poor man.

Ha! Yeah, I know really. Also, it really pisses off the internet defenders of keeping it real and impractical vintage gear they don't actually own :d

I've never really had any specific interest in the SP TBH, I prefer the Akai and Ensoniq stuff from this era... especially now clean ones have genuinely changed hands for £3000!.. That's some trust fund baby bullshit IMO.

I'm never gonna stop using a computer as my main tool, but I wanted something cheap, simple to use and with a bit of character to get away from the screen for a bit. I like what I've heard of the Sampletrak's Lo-Fi mode so far, not as a specific emulation of X or Y but just as a bit of general old sampler character.

I just got this to add to my setup, although I didn't actually have to pay anything for it. Alecs picked three of these S2000's up last year at a cost of £60 for the lot from a studio that was closing down and kindly donated one to me ...finally collected mine this afternoon.. :d

Ahh cool. I just copped one of these. It was cheap enough & a bit of an impulse purchase.

No idea what I'm doing with it yet though haha

The other Akai rack sampler to look out for is the S01. They still go for well under a £100 and although they're 16 Bit, they're only mono and 32khz sample rate and little bit of grit to them. They've always been the unloved Akai sampler, but ever since Skitz told me he made all the beats on Countryman on one I've taken them a bit more seriously.

• Like 1

S01 was a piece of shit, now you can whip the floppy out for a USB (slow as arseholes but still) its usable, cant say ill be going back anytime soon though.

Truth be told, any "grit" or "character" or whatever can be faked with a bit reducer an eq and a bit of drive.

I am seriously impressed with Beatmaker right now, goid controller support and the right updates on the sequencer, I could be downsizing a fuck ton !!!

• Like 1