a work in regress

pauly

inspired by Deeswift's tracks posted in "what other instruments do you play" thread.

I wanted to see what I could record/produce in an afternoon.

Didn't get very far. Give it a listen...

let me know what you think. thanks

here

Its has a cool vibe but its way crowded. I would use alot less deley and alot less drums. Maybe you could progress to the chaotic jam. In my opinion this track could be really tight if it had less going on. Its hard to digest it all at once. Id like to here a remix with the congos less and lower and a lil less deleay on the guit. The melody and the feel are awesome. Keep at it man!

huwbeanie...I thought it was a mp3...thats what I uploaded to soundclick? but either way...after I mess with it some more ...I'll put it on my site as an mp3 also so you can check it out.

thanks for the feedback gabe...i'm gonna mess around with that track a little more, and follow those suggestions too. I'm gonna redo the beat by chopping up the timbale sample more so its not just one convoluted loop...I'll let you know when I repost it.Peace!

When it first kicks in it sounds all out of time but then after a couple of loops it comes together. Perhaps it's just me. I think if you lower the conga bits in the mix and bring up the beat it will sound much better. I know what Gabe's saying about it being too busy too. If it built up slowly I think it would sound better. If you wanna upload the next file somewhere other than Soundclick then give me a shout and I'll bang it on my webspace for a while.

Guest Deeswift

Thanks for posting, Pauly. I think you should get rid of the percussion (conga's? bongo's? congo's? bonga's?) and stick a bassline on there. Less delay might be a good idea as the other guys pointed out. Props for doing something different though, it's always good to see something that has no scratching in it.

Huw, to play these files install Real Alternative. You should be able to save the files as .m3u which stream like .ram files in Media Player Classic (comes with Real Alternative).

Guest Deeswift

Yeah but Windamp is more bloated as a fat pig and should be avoided, especially on weak PC's.

1by1, baby. Maybe QCD if ya can't deal with 1by1's simple "just play the music and don't eat resources" kinda approach.

1by1, Real Alernative, Quicktime Alternative. Those are the best apps, IMO. They'll handle everything.

Winamp 5 uses 1MB of resources as long as you don't use one of the new skins. Switch from the classic skin to the modern skin and the resources used go from 1MB to just over 14! It's not worth it just to make it look nice.

1by1 is OK too, as is Foobar2000.

hey thanks for listening...

Dee- it definitely needs a bass line- problem was I dumped the whole beat in as stereo track all ready sequenced in the mpc, so I'll have to redo the beat and take off the conga loop, then redump that into the protools session..and i didn't sync to anything-lesson learned though.

I'm gonna work on it anyway and update the file when its less chaotic.

Sigma, I post a link the server its on as soon as I get it uploaded.

now for some amatuer scratching

practice on MF Doom instrumental

peace.

I've had tables since late 98, but spent a lot of time in the beginning just on learning to mix/blend and make/program beats and that. After I finally saw "scratch" in may of 2003 I really turned my focus onto scratching- so about 14-15 months I guess.

It wasn't until then either that I bought a mixer (numark SM-3)with a curve adjustable contact free fader- thereby no longer having to use the line/phono switch. I have the cut dialed all the way to the right so its sharpest for one with the left hand on the record and the right on the fader - non hamster style. I'll try to post something more basic real soon.

Edited by pauly

I don't really understand what you mean when you say the curve is sharpest for that particular style of scratching - left hand record/right hand fader. If the cut is on sharp then it's sharp no matter which hand or style you use right?

Definitely post another file though. I thought that one was pretty funky in places. What's the name of the MF Doom track btw?

yeah you're right...i don't know why i didn't think that through first before typing...

the MF Doom track is called " the mic is nice in here" ;)

Edited by pauly