Way to access samsung galaxy from mac?

MadAbbott

Hey, recently got so fed up with apple that I went to a samsung galaxy s6 (really like it)

However I use a mac at home, which doesn't recognise it as a phone nor storage device, so I have to fire up a prehistoric desktop pc to add anything to it.

All I really want to do is add music/videos to the phone from my mac, don't need anything else (so just need it to show as a storage device). Everyone online seems to recommend smart switch but it didn't work for me at all.

Anyone found another solution? many thanks!

Filetransfer is hit and miss, if it says "Cant find device" just unplug it and replug it (Apple are c**ts with Android devices, what a surprise) also on top of that you can access it direct over WIFI using something like ES explorer or such on the device (Can't remeber the full details of how to do it, but you can get the info online)

• Like 1

I've got a dual USB stick that has both the small and big usb part on it. I found out the other day I can transfer files to and from my phone by just sticking it in my phone.

I'm sure there's a better way but it's still better than using a really old computer to do the job!

• Like 1

damnit, yeah i thought android file transfer sounded familiar, i have it installed and it doesn't recognise it unfortunately.

The phone says -

"The connected device is unable to access data on this device. Reconnect the USB cable and try again."

and the macbook just keeps saying "could not connect to device , try restarting or reconnecting"

bit of a shitter, I will try and pick up a USB stick like Si suggests I guess, you use a samsung phone and macbook Si?

damnit, yeah i thought android file transfer sounded familiar, i have it installed and it doesn't recognise it unfortunately.

The phone says -

"The connected device is unable to access data on this device. Reconnect the USB cable and try again."

and the macbook just keeps saying "could not connect to device , try restarting or reconnecting"

bit of a shitter, I will try and pick up a USB stick like Si suggests I guess, you use a samsung phone and macbook Si?

Yeah I have a macbook and a samsung Galaxy note 5. You just gotta have your USB formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) so it can be read by both windows and mac.

Gotta say I'm surprised all these other methods don't work though!

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm surprised all these other methods don't work though!

yeah from looking online it seems people only have this problem with the S6 :-(

You might now have your phone enabled for file sharing or whatever android calls it...?

ahh, interesting, will look into that

• 2 months later...

in case anyone comes across this thread with the same problem, I FINALLY got it working (and can now see my phone on a mac) by following this guide on this page -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32151228/my-macbook-pro-will-not-detect-my-samsung-galaxy-s6

"I'm also having this issue. I've got an s6 edge and a new macbook retina pro; so it's definitely not an issue of "old mac" to new samsung.

Edit: Fixed it by chatting with samsung.

From your phone dial *#0808# then check the MTP option to enabled. Hit reboot. Also make sure to install smart switch on your computer, available at http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/smartswitch/

When the smartswitch window appears, hit the drop down menu, and then click the blue folder icon. That should do it."

Another handy option is using an App like "Wifi File transfer pro"

one of the only apps i've paid for.

it connects to your laptop and phone via your home network, and gives you the phones network address that you put into your browser, and you can browse delete and transfer stuff without a cable.

• Like 1