Stretch and Bobbito - Radio That Changed Lives

DJ Rock Well

Finally caught this last night and it was amazing and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you like classic 90s hip hop.

I always knew this was an important platform at the time and I'd heard bits of some of the most famous freestyles, but still I never knew quite how important this show was.

It nicely encapsulates and defines what most refer to the golden era. The time after the early experiments of the 80s when standards were higher than ever and it was still about skills, a tne when money and fame were beginning to creep in but success was still far more street level. Also, this was the last time when the biggest (most popular) artists of the genre were still the best at it.

A few proper chills moments... mostly freestyles, especially ones that they it the artists hadn't heard since they dropped them live at the time.

Nice, good to know you enjoyed it as I'll definitely give it a watch then. Don't know about anyone else in the Uk but I for one didn't get to hear any of their shows so really knew very little about them but I love listening to their shows now. I love reading old HH magazines too and articles about the "next big thing in hip hop" and seeing whether they made it or not, even if the content of the shows wasn't particularly great it just takes me back to a time when it was really exciting to be part of that scene...

Mate, it's so up your street I can't tell you. I never knew I that basically all east cost (and quite few west coast) MCs that mattered, had to prove themselves there before going anywhere else. Pretty much pick a name and they're on there dropping jewels live years before they were famous and sometimes after as well.

• Like 1

Dan - stacks are up on YouTube mate, I was enjoying one with Gza, Killah Priest and Mad Skillz on it only last night!

You Tube is for sheep .. mine are up on some old TDK cassettes

dont you know that im a hipster these days mate ?.. :((

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Old thread but picked this up on DVD the other day and watched it last night - great stuff. Started listening to some of the shows on YouTube now.

I only remember hearing about the show back in the mid-late 90s when I was reading HHC.