Lana Del Reydiohead ?

danswift

I use about 30 different samples for every track I make so I'll probably be totally screwed and declared bankrupt,lose my family and be thrown in a debtors jail when my album finally comes out.

All that 'hard work' blatantly stealing and chopping up other peoples hard work to make their shit I've sampled actually sound listenable will have been for nothing.

Ungrateful bastards.. :|

• Like 3

I agree with Steve. I'm not against money made being fairly distributed, but in reality it's all pretty farcical.

Those with the biggest legal team often bully their way through and don't get me started on 'band leaders' always getting paid for their drummer's compositions.

I'm sure I've told this one before, but it perfectly sums up how daft the reality of sample clearance is.

Skitz once told me how the biggest single check he got from making music was actually a payout for a sample. Out of the blue he got a call late at night from a US law firm respresenting Dallas Austin, saying Dallas had sampled something from a skit/interlude between tracks on the Countryman album and they needed to clear it for the track to be released. Except as it transpired, the interlude in question was actually just a straight sample itself. Skitz told them this and who it was by, which artist, record, label, etc. After quite a few months of trying to track down who owned the original recording and drawing a blank, the lawyer got back in touch with Skitz to say they needed to get on and settle it and as they couldn't find the real owner they were going to go ahead and pay him regardless. In the end Dallas Austin payed 50k for that sample, although that was split 50/50 between Skitz and the law firm handling it!

• Like 2

I use about 30 different samples for every track I make so I'll probably be totally screwed and declared bankrupt,lose my family and be thrown in a debtors jail when my album finally comes out.

All that 'hard work' blatantly stealing and chopping up other peoples hard work to make their shit I've sampled actually sound listenable will have been for nothing.

Ungrateful bastards.. :|

Keep in mind copyright was never created to create ownership of music/intellectual property. The whole idea is that if you created something unique you'd get a reward by being able to reap the benefits of it for a finite period of time. The whole idea of the concept was to encourage more creative art/etc. for the public and the reward for the creator was only a means to that end. This is why when a situation arises where the copyright of the creator buts heads with the general public's benefit for new and creative music/art/etc., the public wins. That's the entire reasoning behind "fair use". One type of fair use is a "transformative" use. If you transformativley use the protected work to create something new, unique, valuable, then you arguably don't have to pay anything. The problem is effing whytes have to own everything and the time for copyright has been continually extended. The Courts haven't fleshed out a lot of the rules (at least in the US anyway) so major acts just pay up rather than risk getting sued. The way it stands you have to negotiate with every copyright holder you sample and some of these dudes are assholes. There needs to be a better system because we had a beautiful blossoming artform developing in the late 80s and early 90s that was partially squelched by the act. The point is to promote unique "works" and the music coming out at that period was way different than anything before it, despite being based on samples.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I made an EP using about 3962 well-known samples and no one's come knocking on my door!

• Like 1

I agree with Steve. I'm not against money made being fairly distributed, but in reality it's all pretty farcical.

Those with the biggest legal team often bully their way through and don't get me started on 'band leaders' always getting paid for their drummer's compositions.

I'm sure I've told this one before, but it perfectly sums up how daft the reality of sample clearance is.

Skitz once told me how the biggest single check he got from making music was actually a payout for a sample. Out of the blue he got a call late at night from a US law firm respresenting Dallas Austin, saying Dallas had sampled something from a skit/interlude between tracks on the Countryman album and they needed to clear it for the track to be released. Except as it transpired, the interlude in question was actually just a straight sample itself. Skitz told them this and who it was by, which artist, record, label, etc. After quite a few months of trying to track down who owned the original recording and drawing a blank, the lawyer got back in touch with Skitz to say they needed to get on and settle it and as they couldn't find the real owner they were going to go ahead and pay him regardless. In the end Dallas Austin payed 50k for that sample, although that was split 50/50 between Skitz and the law firm handling it!

Yeah but thats sampling. This isnt sampling. At best its writing credit. She or her band still played the song.

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I made an EP using about 3962 well-known samples and no one's come knocking on my door!

PB Wolf said the Stone Throw policy is clear nothing. Settle lawsuits as they come.

• Like 1

Diggla - yeah, I totally realise that's different to this scenario. But I just think it sums up how daft the legal side of sampling, songwriting, publishing, etc, can be.

Joe - yep, I've been told from a few different people that if you're not having obvious big pop hits, sample what you like. For instance, the vast vast majority of all UK Hip Hop containing samples is totally uncleared. The numbers involved for the genre just aren't on the litigeous radar. And if UK Hip Hop isn't, then Turntablism? We're all invincibly anonymous!!!

• Like 1

It seems there's no claim from Radioheads label. So she must of thought, that she can at least get some really needed credibility by lying about the claim coming from a cool band like Radiohead...I'm not into Lana or Radiohead anyways.

It seems there's no claim from Radioheads label. So she must of thought, that she can at least get some really needed credibility by lying about the claim coming from a cool band like Radiohead...I'm not into Lana or Radiohead anyways.

Woah, what? So she's lying about being sued? Fucking hell that's retarded.

Where's Caveman Lawyer during these dire straits?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world of copyright infringement and gleaming discs of sound frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the flashing lights of your text devices make me want to get out of my M5.. and run off into the hills, or wherever... Sometimes when I get a message on my text device, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" Did someone steal the text letters from the ancient Greeks? I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a group of music conjurers like my clients have their god souls stolen by a de-tuned succubus banshee, then they are entitled to no less than two billion in compensatory damages, and two billion in punitive damages. Thank you.

Seriously LMAO. JB, were you Caveman Lawyer on TTNN? In any case, that's some of the funny ish I've read on this here message board.

Yeah, I didn't start him but he was anonymously passed off to me and I would hop in and defend Dave whenever he got into legal trouble.

I guess it was from Jeebus you've inhereted Ciroc. I still got a printscreen from the thread where Jeebs revealed all of his aliases he had on Funkshitup (pure fiyah).

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't start him but he was anonymously passed off to me and I would hop in and defend Dave whenever he got into legal trouble.

I guess it was from Jeebus you've inhereted Ciroc. I still got a printscreen from the thread where Jeebs revealed all of his aliases he had on Funkshitup (pure fiyah).

I believe that Mr. Ingman, TA, and myself constituted about 95% of the users on D's site. The other 5% was Mustache Styles.

• Like 2