What's the music/DJ scene in your town/city like?

Steve

In my home town of Stafford, things have definitely got worse over the years and it's not just a case of me getting older and thinking "in my day............!", lol.

There's a couple of DJs that run successful old school dance music nights aimed at people in their 30s and above, but outside of that, these days every place you go you'll hear the same mainstream music. It never used to be like that, cos there used to be bars and smaller clubs that did some really cool rock nights, funk nights, hip-hop nights etc., including 1 or 2 places that were exclusively aimed at people who didn't just want to go to your regular "we all play the same music" type of place.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I moved to Denver was for the music/DJ scene and thus far it hasn't been disappointing. There are select venues for selectish types of music and people, so kinda something for errrybody. Also, one of the local record shops is very active in the tablist community. They have weekly Wednesday skratch sessions and porTable jams on Sundays at random spots. This move has got me re-motivated to cut and just DJ, something that's been dwindling big time for the last couple years or so.

• Like 1

In my home town of Stafford, things have definitely got worse over the years .

Amasal Sports & Social Club

St Albans Road

Stafford ST163DR

Northern Soul night every fortnight.

Monthly Quiz,Pool,Darts and one of the best Bowling Greens in the county !

''Cheap bar,ample parking spaces and top Soul tunes'' .. Gary Sharpe.

" A Great place to hangout"..Ross Evans.

Great club,excellent beer !..

Phil Cannon

What more do you actually need mate ?. :d

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

can't complain really... there was a funny documentary sponsored by soundcloud recently that made bristol's scene out to be entirely based around rich (all white) students listening to shit house at this big trendy club, and forgot to mention the millions of other nights and scenes, especially the thriving dub scene.

there have been some good moves in the hip hop scene too, finally it seems like theres stuff happening hip hop wise again, after it all felt a bit stagnant when i moved back, the juice crew gig recently was and awesome vibe with a strong turntout from lots of local heads....

theres a lot of threat of venues closing though, as house prices get crazy, everywhere is being converted to flats, and with that come people who file noise complaints about the clubs and bars that they just moved next door to.....

theres a lot of threat of venues closing though, as house prices get crazy, everywhere is being converted to flats, and with that come people who file noise complaints about the clubs and bars that they just moved next door to.....

Sounds familiar

We've had the same happening in Bern. There was an area with a lot of shops and clubs where allofasudden DINK-Hippsters moved next door and where bombarding them with noise complaints... What did they expect?

We've had the same happening in Bern. There was an area with a lot of shops and clubs where allofasudden DINK-Hippsters moved next door and where bombarding them with noise complaints... What did they expect?

You live in Bern? Beautiful city!

I live 20 minutes away from Bern in a village. Bern has a nice old city area and is surrounded by a waterflow.

Every bigger city (big for Swiss People) is reachable in 1 or 2 hours (Zürich, Bern, Geneva or Basel)

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

Read this article about The Fleece in Bristol the other day. If what they say is true it doesn't bode well.

http://www.insightnewsmag.co/articles/Noise-complaints-are-not-the-real-reason-live-music-venues-are-facing-closure

yeah you see a lot of stuff like this going down elesewhere. christie zee from DMC/Tools Of War often posts articles and calls to action about people banning amplified music in harlem and the bronx, or moaning about the noisy motorbikes in the biker neighbourhood they just moved into....

theres a megaclub here that basically has turned into a cattlemarket, it siphons off punters thousands at a time and keeps them all locked in one place listening to the prescribed music and paying lots of money for drinks, whilst keeping the supply of drugs under control (ie its fine as long as their guys supply it). its pretty fucked cos everywhere else struggles to fill up and becomes obscelete, which looks like its leading to the destruction of underground scenes

damn i said i can't complain didn't i :)

Nightlife in Rye, erm...

Some pubs have shit local bands from time to time and about once a decade, somebody throws a house party that nobody goes to.

Otherwise, an occasional group of youngsters will try and fool themselves that they don't live in a one-horse town and put on a gig for them and their mates, secretly hoping that there is more to life. This year, for instance some school kids hired out the single shitty nightclub on one of the 5 nights it's normally closed and ran a D&B night - the flyer didn't mention any DJs or that there was one, so maybe more of an Aux Cable party? Don't let that put you off though, 14 different MCs were billed on the flyer :d

• Like 1

If Steve thinks it's bad in Stafford heres this months line up of events at the village hall in the place where I live.

December 8th.

Dance Academy Christmas Party

December 9th. 'Frozen' Sing A Long 1-4 pm

December 9th. Northern Soul Monthly.

Now,I do sometimes go to this but last time I went someone tried to nick my first issue copy of Emperor Of My Baby's Heart by Kurt Harris on Diamond Records that I had loaned to one of the DJs for the evening and it caused a massive scene,plus the last DJ on the night played We Need To Be Loved by The Teen Turbans and the theme tunes to Joe 90 and the Grandstand tv programme instead of Lonely For You Baby by Sam Dees, Look At Me Now by Terry Callier and Don't Send Nobody Else by Ace Spectrum like he said he would as his 'three to end on' and I for one was not fucking impressed.

(No talc allowed on the dance floor btw, order of the management)

December 13th.The Memory Cafe.

Not an up and coming local Indie band with an interesting name but rather a place to come and drink imitation PG Tips,eat a stale Dundee Biscuit and chat about ones 'memories'. well,how about this ? I can clearly recall seeing the flyer for this in the butchers shop the week before last and I remember thinking "Fuck You All Because I'm Not Coming You Cunts".

December 15th.1980s Night !

The DJ who runs this event looks like Russ Abbot and probably molested children in the 1970's so I wont be going on principle

December 18th-24th Local Theatre production of Dick Whittington

December 29th-Wheelie Bin

Consultation Meeting 10-2 pm

Don't mention it to anyone lads but secretly i'm really looking forward to this one!

December 13th.The Memory Cafe.

Not an up and coming local Indie band with an interesting name but rather a place to come and drink imitation PG Tips,eat a stale Dundee Biscuit and chat about ones 'memories'. well,how about this ? I can clearly recall seeing the flyer for this in the butchers shop the week before last and I remember thinking "Fuck You All Because I'm Not Coming You Cunts".

Dude... that's for people with Alzheimer's!

• Like 1

Oh sorry,I presumed it was the usual local rubbish that goes on round here,I certainly wasn't taking the piss out of anyone affected by Alzheimer's.

Apologies if anyone was actually offended.

I'll probably receive a million warning points from the mods then now and be banned from all future beat battles by Rock Well as my punishment.

There is a good music scene in Austin. Wide variety too. Definitely an ebb and flow as certain genres gain popularity or fall off. Pretty good beat music scene. Fair amount of live bands. Not a ton of straight up hiphop clubs tho. People still play hiphop and stuff but the designated hiphop never last more than a few years. There used to be a really great hiphop scene and there still is but it more focuses on live shows than the club like it used to. Pretty good scene but APPARENTLY not good enough for a certain someone to make a stop on his North American tour! Humph! :z

• Like 1

I live 20 minutes away from Bern in a village. Bern has a nice old city area and is surrounded by a waterflow.

Every bigger city (big for Swiss People) is reachable in 1 or 2 hours (Zürich, Bern, Geneva or Basel)

016.md.jpg

• Like 1

The problem with hiphop nights is twofold: Generally, the patrons don't tip well, and 2, there are often escalated confrontations. I worked security for a club ages ago and we seldom had issues/fights, although Fridays (hiphop night) was a completely different story.