Oi ! Rock Well ,Have A Butcher's At This !..Is That The Test Pressing ? (Indeed It Is)

danswift

Ok, you're probably looking at the worlds rarest Soul record here and as some people may or may not be aware there have only ever been 2 original copies unearthed of the legendary Motown gem which is Frank Wilson's 'Do I Love You' (Indeed I Do) 45, the last copy of which was sold to a Northern Soul collector for £25.000 so it was a pretty big deal when this test pressing turned up last week.

tih6DYy.jpg

yLGkP82.jpg

If anyone is interested in purchasing this super rare record or you're just stuck on deciding what to buy for me this Christmas hit me up and I can pass your details on to Pete Smith who is a member of the same Northern Soul forum as me and who has authenticated the record as the genuine article for the owner of the disc which is set to be auctioned in January.

Seriously,what an amazing find ,I cant imagine the sort of price this record will eventually be sold for.

Edit.

You are officially granted the status of the most miserable bastard in the universe if you don't like this record.

For bonus points Dan, do you know why it's allegedly so rare?

Yeah,the stories I've heard is that Berry Gordy personally pulled the record from release because Frank Wilson was actually a successful producer and songwriter for Motown at the time.

Another theory was that 250 demo copies were made on the Motown subsidiary 'Soul Records' but Gordy apparently hated the vocals on the track and had the demo's destroyed.

Wilson was also supposedly asked by Gordy if he really wanted to be a recording artist to which Wilson replied no,so there's also the theory that Frank Wison himself decided against releasing the track .

I don't know if that's the actual version of events but that's the story I was told by someone who generally knows about these type of things.

Do you know a different story btw ? if so I'd like to hear it .

• Like 1

Berry definitely pulled it and that's certainly the official line/back story.

But it's been suggested from a few different sources close at the time that the object of desire in the song was actually Wilson's boyfriend and Berry's resulting prejudices were involved to one degree or another in the song's non-release.

I've read and heard several different versions of the finer details and some claim it was a contributing factor, others reckon it was the whole deal. Who knows, although it was certainly very unlike Berry to turn down a hit single, which it surely would've been.

• Like 1

There's certainly a load of myths behind 'Do I Love You' and one of those is a rumour that when the record was last sold for 25 grand to the unknown buyer it was Frank Wilson himself lol.

I've also met one of the people who had actually owned the original at one time during the 70s,he is a friend of a mate of mine who is a dealer and collector in NS records and he has around 10,000 in his garage at home and it's a proper mind boggling collection !

• 4 weeks later...