This Week I've Been Listening To

danswift

This week I have been mostly listening to the Game - 1992 and dr Dre - Compton.

Both surprisingly good albums

I'm sure one of those has the "keep it 8 more than 92 with me" track with drake on it...? Or is that the previous game album. The game one I thought was pretty hard, very 90s sound. Anderson Peak kinda grates on me after a while though so the Compton one didn't last long for me.

Guest petesasqwax

depthcharge

I've been going at some JSK lately - Alexander's Dark Band especially, but some Depth Charge stuff too. Quality.

• Like 2

This week I have been mostly listening to the Game - 1992 and dr Dre - Compton.

Both surprisingly good albums

I'm sure one of those has the "keep it 8 more than 92 with me" track with drake on it...? Or is that the previous game album. The game one I thought was pretty hard, very 90s sound. Anderson Peak kinda grates on me after a while though so the Compton one didn't last long for me.

Anderson Paak is like what Ceelo Green would come out like if you put him on the wrong wash.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

There is so many aliases :-)

Depthcharge is one my favorites, Dj Grimreaper in the early days as i understood

:)

This is 88 so he got to that bassline 4 years before the Beastie Boys used it!

• Like 2

I met JSK quite a few times when I used to shop in Vinyl Solution in Ladbroke Grove.

The only thing he would ever talk about was Shaw Brothers films!

My favourite track by him though is probably Depth Charge vs Silver Fox with MC Alkaline from Hardnoise

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

It always made me laugh how some people would kind of look down on him as if they were "too hip-hop" for his stuff. He was there before Wu-Tang with all the Shaw Brothers stuff and he was there before loads of hip-hop guys with loads of record samples too.

Plus he's a fucking BADASS on the beats. I remember D-Styles used something from Alexander's Dark Band at some stage but I forget what it was off the top of my head.

• Like 1

It always made me laugh how some people would kind of look down on him as if they were "too hip-hop" for his stuff. He was there before Wu-Tang with all the Shaw Brothers stuff and he was there before loads of hip-hop guys with loads of record samples too.

Plus he's a fucking BADASS on the beats. I remember D-Styles used something from Alexander's Dark Band at some stage but I forget what it was off the top of my head.

well exactly my thoughts, nothing but respect for this man

I was lucky to meet him a few times although i became aware of his huge contribution to music afterwards (too many aliases and this was before internet)

Guest petesasqwax

(too many aliases and this was before internet)

Hehe - I remember having a moment when I realised: "wait - THIS guy is also this guy AND this guy AND this guy???"

• Like 1

(too many aliases and this was before internet)

Hehe - I remember having a moment when I realised: "wait - THIS guy is also this guy AND this guy AND this guy???"

I haven't checked for a while but i still expect more of that to happen...actually i'm not really up to date about whats happening right now with JSK musicwise

basement5(no ballgames)

hell yes !.. :d

i've been listening for ages to a casettetape that someone recorded for me where this track was on....i thought it was related to Tc matic from belgium but my neighbour ''shazaamed'' it and it turned out to be Basement5, which were unknown to me.

• Like 1

If you had been standing outside my house all week I reckon you'd probably be pretty hungry by now but you would at least have got to hear me playing the music of..

Alfa Mist-Antiphon

Insight & Damu The Fudgemunk-Ears Hear Spears

Suntreader-Zin Zin

Sven Grunberg-Hingus

Various Artists-Impressed ! (a cd of British Jazz from the 60s/70s compiled by Giles Peterson..some great stuff on this one)

Frank Zappa-Hot Rats/The Grand Wazzoo..(man,he really was good when he got it right)

The Orb-U.F.Off

Freddie Hubbard-First Light

(for my money better than Miles Davis..screw the critics)

Eddie Henderson- Sunburst

Hiromi-Brain/Another Mind

Jean Luc Ponty-Imaginary Voyage

Dub Syndicate-Stoned Immaculate

John Fahey-The Dance Of Death And Other Plantation Favourites

I was also looking forward to hearing Raekwon's new lp 'The Wild' and noticed that it was up on Youtube,I played the first 3 tracks and turned it off...it was a bit of a let down for me tbh but I dunno,some people on here may like it I suppose

Depthcharge is one my favorites, Dj Grimreaper in the early days as i understood

Woah, never heard of this dude (these dudes) before.

Yeah man, Jonathon Saul Kane AKA Depthcharge / Octagon Man etc.

He released an album in 94 called Nine Deadly Venoms (as Depthcharge) which featured loads of samples from Shaw Bros kung fu films.( before the Wu Tang used them)

He was somewhat ahead of his time tbh although his stuff as Depthcharge has elements of electronica and techno amongst the breakbeats and Hip Hop influences.

He's also often credited as the originator of the Trip Hop and Big Beat genres FWIW.

• Like 1

Woah, never heard of this dude (these dudes) before.

Yeah man, Jonathon Saul Kane AKA Depthcharge / Octagon Man etc.

He released an album in 94 called Nine Deadly Venoms (as Depthcharge) which featured loads of samples from Shaw Bros kung fu films.( before the Wu Tang used them)

He was somewhat ahead of his time tbh although his stuff as Depthcharge has elements of electronica and techno amongst the breakbeats and Hip Hop influences.

He's also often credited as the originator of the Trip Hop and Big Beat genres FWIW.

That's cool. It's a crime some of the stuff that never bubbles up. There's a very good chance that RZA and Depthcharge were simultaneously working with the same samples not knowing the other was doing it. Protect Ya Neck actually came out on 12" in 1992 and Chessboxing came out in 1993. Wu's demo tape also came out in 1992 and that had many kung fu samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDddsRCjoi4

• Like 1

This was from 1989 and definitely preceeded Wu and Trip Hop...

And DC vs Silver Fox from 91 - I love the delivery from Alkaline on this and the bass line is MURDEROUS

Edited by GNOD
  • Like 1

Yep-the Nine Deadly Venoms lp was a collection of 12 inch singles he'd released in the five years prior to the album coming out in 1994 so his use of those Kung Fu samples definitely pre-dates the Wu Tang by a good couple of years.

And DC vs Silver Fox from 91 - I love the delivery from Alkaline on this and the bass line is MURDEROUS

These are ill. This dude was on some shit! I mean, Shadow and Krush are always hailed as big innovators but this guy is firing on all cylinders in 1989! You've got Double Dee and Steinski coming earlier but this shit is obviously a big progression from that. Fuck, thanks for hipping me to all this stuff!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've had these albums spinning round my way of late..

King Crimson-Red

(a masterclass in dynamics)

Alphonso Johnson-Spellbound

Brand X-Moroccan Roll

Paris-Sleeping With The Enemy

Curtis Mayfield-Loves Sweet Sensation

Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Worlds

Yusef Lateef-The Blue

Archie Shepp-Mama Too Tight

Ghost Face Killer-Sour Soul

J.J.Cale-The Best Of

Niacin-Deep