Whats The Best Thing You've Heard This Year ?

danswift

What are your favourite records or tracks that you've heard in 2016 ?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a new release or genre specific -it could be something older that you've discovered for the first time instead or maybe even a mix or tune that someone has posted here on the forum for example

Post em' up men..!

i'll add mine shortly..

• Like 1

I've heard some really good music this year and honourable mentions must go to DJ Shadow with Run The Jewels and also the Rubble Kings album which have both convinced me that Hip Hop can still be relevant ( an artform that seems to have become more cliched & conservative than ever) which was nice

discovering the music of the Brazilian musician Arthur Verocai who i knew absolutely nothing about has also been a real pleasure thanks to my eldest son

But the things ive liked hearing the most have actually been done by the peeps here on DV...if youve not listened to these then may i suggest you do so, because these are alll bloody great in my opinion and y'all shouldnt be sleeping on em '. ;)

This is my own personal pick of the bunch which i tried to narrow down to a reasonable number but i could have easily posted a load more tbh

Petesasqwax

Rock Well
https://soundcloud.com/dj-rock-well/space-piano-dv-beat-battle-flip
Steve/Sigma

Broma/Looms

Flexinoodle
  • Like 2

I don't have time to add links but here are all the highlights from this year's releases that I can remember (there's probably more). In no particular order...

Albums/EPs:

Symatic & Penguin - Dislocated Turkey Funk

ISP - 13th Floor

Kool Keith - Feature Magnetic

Phology - Big Views EP (technically not 2016 but whatever)

Code Cut Crew - Planes

Shadow & RTJ - Nobody Speak

Still haven't heard the new Tribe but I expect it belongs in here also

Mixes:

Jay Glaze - Operation Clam Dust

Pete Sasqwax - BBC Radiophonic Workshop mix

Mr Thing - Library mix

Moschops - Educated Flesh

DJ Numark - All of his Zodiac mixes (they're all wicked!)

Symatic - Bits, Blips, Breaks and B-Sides

Despite DanSwizzle surprising the azz off eveyone with some quality heat, this is my fave DV Beat Battle entry of the year:

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Here's an updated list of stuff I've remembered and enjoyed in 2016 (Probably a shit load I've forgotten about :huh: )

Albums/eps

DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall
Mr. Lif, - Don’t Look Down
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid

Kool Keith - Feature Magnetic

A-F-R-O & Marco Polo - A-F-R-O POLO

ISP - The 13th Floor

Ed Rush & Optical - No Cure

Krayb & The Skratch Lords - Battle With The Katastrophic Phonic Worms

Singles

A shite load of Singles of different genres but mainly D&B including Delta Heavy - Kill Room, Bad Company UK - Nomad, Break - Who Got Da Funk & Optiv & CZA - Sub Surface

Mixes

Really to many to list

Live Performances

Haven't really had the time this year to go out watching gigs on a regular basics but if I had to choose then it would have to be both the showcases at SSS 34. Dubba and Jimmy blew my mind into fragments with pure next level dopeness

DV Battle Beat

Going to say everyone as I haven't heard a utter shite entry yet (Well apart from my usual drivel ;)) Seriously on a finer note everyone has brought the heat to every battle, really can't choose just a few or even one stand out track :)

• Like 2

Later tonight I will get involved in this and I'll definitely be including everything I've enjoyed including shit that I'm pretty sure will induce shudders and bafflement to many.

Just reacting to a couple of the above comments, I think the Tribe album was the let down of the year for me and my expectations weren't that high to start with. Also, the Childish Gambino album I really respect and like what he's done, but I struggle to ever want to actually listen to it. Weird.

• Like 1

Despite DanSwizzle surprising the azz off eveyone with some quality heat, this is my fave DV Beat Battle entry of the year:

Thanks man! :blush:

• Like 2

Danswizzle

:((

I was playing some of the DV members tracks ive compiled onto disc last night to some friends of mine and they were super impressed by what they heard

y'all have some new fans checking your respective Soundcloud pages now..!

give the gift of music and all that ...

• Like 1

A-F-R-O Polo for me..

I think the kid is the future of hip hop mc-ing...

I checked the E.P. and some other stuff out last night because of your recommendation and i was very impressed by what i heard

https://youtu.be/5fKsOeQ3DZk

The dudes flow on this track is dope as fuck... my only gripe is the track is way too short !

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Joe Clockwork

Broma

https://soundcloud.com/looms/axelrod

Son Of Ugly

https://soundcloud.com/sonofugly/frogman

Bledig

Tbtf

Petesasqwax

Sergeant Matic

Darcyd

Some of my favourite things from this year by members of the forum,mostly.

Not really listened to many Hip Hop records that have made an impression this year unfortunately although I've played lots of older stuff like Public Enemy,Paris,Cypress Hill,Del Funkee H etc that I'd not heard for a while.Caning the Funk and Northern Soul almost 24/7 though in a constant never ending quest to hear great artists at work,especially ones that I've not discovered before or forgotten about somehow.

I always find the Funk and Soul stuff is one area of music which never seems to let me down year after year funnily enough.

The best music news I've heard this year was absolutely hands down DV's very own Paul Dubba Dutch's induction into the Dat Brass Band..some serious props due and a tip of the (pork pie) hat to Dubbs for that one !

• Like 2