G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

Guest petesasqwax

I remember losing my shit when I found this break, after spending one sweaty summers day digging it was worth it. This is why I still buy any pre-school/nursery rhyme/themed records

Famously sampled for UNKLE - Lonely Soul

Plus the rest of the album is dope, loads for sampling.

Ha! Damn, I absolutely didn't know that UNKLE break was from there!

The only Playschool break I knew of was this one that the Holmes, Strictly Kev, put me onto via Solid Steel years ago:

(break is around 1m 50s)

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Damn, I just realised that I'm such a Secret Squirrel bastard about breaks sometimes!

I doubt I've shared this one before, but I should have done:

Adam and Mike used the loop at 7m 39s for an MHE track on Sound in Color years ago, but this whole record is fucking GOLD for samples. Check the open drums from just before the 7mins point right up until 7:39!

Guest petesasqwax

A mate of mine just showed off his original edition of this LP and it reminded me how much I love this track in particular. Total proto-hip-hop grooves from 1969:

Guest petesasqwax

Ha - it kind of does, mate. A totally smashed of it's face on mushrooms version, which, given the era and musos involved, it probably was.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

That's dope! Thanks man, I'm only a few minutes in but I'm liking this already. I have to admit, after all these years I'm a hard man to please when it comes to break mixes so it's refreshing to hear something that ticks the boxes right out of the gate

Guest petesasqwax

Hey ! I invented that Unkle drum break two pages back :d

HA! Sorry man, so you did! I'm just drumdrunk, forgive me ;)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah man, Keith Mansfield got some library FIYA, no question!

I was thinking - the thing that put me up on the Arzachel track was the Trapdoor mix from years back. Is everyone up on that or should I rip my CD for dudes?

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

OK - here's the first Trapdoor mix that dropped in 2002. It's not as it was when I first heard it - for some reason some hefty chunks have been taken out of this one (I have no idea why) but it's a good idea of what that one was:

Check the link to the Soulstrut post from 10 years ago to get more info. It's a pretty interesting story.

Anyway, it was followed a few years later by this:

Whereas the first volume only circulated on tapes (and file sharing programmes...) this second one was released on CD and vinyl (for some reason, I bought the CD... I dunno why, I just fucking did - it made sense at the time, I guess). Lots of people have taken a stab at identifying the tracks in this one over the years (like this dude) but I've never seen a complete one yet.