G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

I dont know if theres been a thread on here about this before but what are your favourite breaks & beats and which ones do you consider as the holy grail of hip hop and its related offshoots ? does anyone still chop or use the classic drumbreaks for producing tracks or scratching to ones like Apache, Funky Drummer, Ultimate Breaks & Beats lps etc or do you use drum samples from plug ins and other sources ?

obviously there are breaks and beats from all types of music so i would be interested to hear your opinion on which ones you consider the best

ive always loved the drums on this

break at 7 mins.50 sec

And this

https://youtu.be/jHWgePVeNVo

break at 00.00 and throughout

• Like 4

Guest Symatic

oh dan you filthy bastard. why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here????

well:

i have to agree on that purdie break, one of my faves because of poison.... the pressure the pressure!

i spent a long time finding this one, love it and the tune is so uplifting its rediculous:

i also love this one for it's uplifting vibes and great stabs, so good to juggle

its not really worth mentioning but you cant beat a bit of amen either :)

oh and this is another i freakin love. was listening to felonious funk the other day and reminded me how sick this drum loop is, and what a total g al green is

• Like 4

Nice choices!

Dan - I always use drum breaks in every beat I make, either looped, chopped and rearranged or made into individual hits for totally different patterns. I use the classics and try to find a good new way to use them and I dig the whole time for new finds (mostly at work), keeping every open drum break I can turn up. For example, that Greek beat I made for the DV battle was the Isaac Hayes 'Joy' break and the last one was from Black Oak Arkansas' first LP I found that week.

Here's few others I like...

From this month's beat battle, at about 1:45 mins. It's obviously known, but wasn't to me when I found it. It felt like one of the first 'deep' breaks I'd 'found'.

My favourite hi hat for that classic boom bap sound.

https://youtu.be/NtpeZIInFV0

Another one I found early on, about 2 mins in.

Just popped in my head, 3:14mins

Not just a drum of course, but I've got to mention Can 'Vitamin C'. Preferably trick-mixed by J Rocc in Private Stash.

• Like 3

oh dan you filthy bastard. why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ????

Heehee thanks Sy im having that as my sig when i work out how you do it

These next two breaks have that nice deep feel to them that Rock Well likes and actually im with him all the way on that score

I also liked what Joe Clockwork said about breaks that sound like they come from a toy kit,I have a few like that on MiniDisc I label those types "Pencil Case" breaks for some strange unknown reason lol

Great choices btw fellas keep em coming

Break at 00.00 & 02.25

https://youtu.be/suujDlDnS5A

Break at 00.00 & 02.31

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

yeah i like the "broken drum kit" vibe too. that can one is great, such a weird vibe.

I got doubles of all 4 Breakionary records. great stuff. i think they all came from the expensive rare vinyl splurge bert did, he mentions it in his crate diggers interview, and i've found a few of those breaks on reissue albums and stuff which all came out in the preceeding years, i guess he just chopped em all up into one mega pack..... but at the ime that was all i wanted. i didnt wanna go round buying up expensive originals only to cue-burn them to fuck :)

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

heres one i spent a long time wondering what it was. finally got it at a charity shop, classic one where i had to act cool cos i was only paying 50p for something and didn't want the shopowner to know what was up :)

• Like 3

Si - It's always best to hide your excitment from said vendor when you're getting a bargain!

I hear what you're saying on the Breaktionary thing, if I was doing breaks mixes I'd be using that or DVS. I'm not particularly precious about where my breaks come from when it comes to making beats - original, repress, comp or even CD ( :o). But, I do just enjoy the process of turning up new breaks (or any other samples) on vinyl and then taking them home to chop up, so I suppose I do that more than anything else. It's a bit like a random selector for me and it does whittle down the thousand of breaks in the world you could just download off the net, to 'this week I found this one, so that's what I'm using'.

The breaks I'll stick up in this thread I do actually own, but in my previous post for instance, the Bill Thomas is a re-issue and my copy the Assagai LP is not the Vertigo original but the budget Contour issue from the year after. I do have a German original of the Can LP though which looking on popsike, should probably be sold at some point!

I dunno, much like what breaks I sample, only posting ones I've got is more about whittling down the many options than any sort of principles.

• Like 2

This break is from a private pressing by the Australian band Quasar from the lp "Man Coda" my friend Matt whos from Oz had this back in the early 90s and no matter how many times I asked he wouldnt sell it to me (though he did let me sample the drums from it)

the lp does appear for sale from time to time so ive been told

Ive got a sneaky feeling that Petesasqwax will probably like this track

Break at 00.00

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

haha sloppy breaks are the way :) make the samplers work for their beats :)

this one is so wonky - break at 00:00, suprise Tone Loc sample at 1:45!

• Like 2

finally got it at a charity shop, classic one where i had to act cool cos i was only paying 50p for something and didn't want the shopowner to know what was up :)

A friend of mine picked up the 45 of Eddie Bo - We're Doing It (Thang) from a charity shop for 50p. He said he had to sit down when he found it.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

finally got it at a charity shop, classic one where i had to act cool cos i was only paying 50p for something and didn't want the shopowner to know what was up :)

A friend of mine picked up the 45 of Eddie Bo - We're Doing It (Thang) from a charity shop for 50p. He said he had to sit down when he found it.

damn!

Here's a couple of sloppy ones I've got.

Speeding up

Just messy (not just drums but you get the idea).

This thread is teaching me things - I don't know what a lot of tracks I've sampled are called, just 'track 2, side b on THAT record'. Also, there's quite few I can't find on youtube.

• Like 1

Dope stuff in this thread. To be honest i thought it was going to be a batttle of the certified classics thread, where we could argue which famous break is the best because it's the most influential, the funkiest, the heaviest, most sampled etc, etc.