What music did your parents play when you were a kid?

doppelkorn

• 6 years later...

Mother.

David Bowie

Tangerine Dream

Joan Baez

The Buzzcocks

Father.

Beethoven

Mozart

Saint Saens

Faure

Inevitably,my parents got divorced when I was 8 years old... :p

My older brothers played loads of Punk and Reggae but the biggest influence on my musical upbringing was definitely my Grandfather who was a Jazz and Blues fanatic. When I was a little bit older he played me his amazing records by musicians like Duke Ellington and Count Basie,Bud Powell,Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey and Blue Mitchell plus loads of the classic Blue Note, Verve ,Vanguard and Columbia recordings that blew my mind wide open and which in turn lead to my love of all things Fusion with bands like Brand X,Weather Report and Return To Forever etc, all thanks to the big G+ man.

Mom:

Motown

Dad:

Classic rock and psych. He has a good vinyl collection. The more modern stuff he listened to was like Bruce Hornsby, Steve Winwood and Huey Lewis.

My mom mostly listened to talk radio tho. She didnt listen to a lot of music.

Mum:

Stevie Wonder

Johnny Mathis

Carpenters

Glen Miller

Dad:

Irish and C&W

This doesnt even tell any of the story though. I am the youngest of 4; my biggest brother is 26 years older so by the time I was about 4 years old, there was lots of weird and wonderful stuff coming in to the house. I was also very lucky that my sister ended up marrying the former head of security at Hammersmith Odeon and I would go to gigs with my sister from about 5 years old and on my own / with friends from about 9ish (the Odeon was local....)

John (Eldest bro):

Tangerine Dream

Can

Humble Pie

Joe (next one up from me):

Very eclectic, from Albertos y los trios paranoias and Wayne / Jayne County and the Electric Chairs to Dexter Wansel, Vangelis, Rush, Led Zep and The Damned.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

Mum : Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Wings, Queen, Mostly-now-in-jail glam rockers

Dad : Cream, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, and weirdly had every Average White Band album although I never remember him playing them

• Like 2

Mum : Mostly-now-in-jail glam rockers

FLOL... :p

Most of those cunts should have been locked up back in the 1970's and that would've been just for the fucking terrible racket they were making.

My memories up to age 10 were probably mostly Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits and Communards - maybe that was just the catchy stuff. My dad seems to have a reasonable prog rock collection, though I don't recall it (too noodly?).

From 10 onwards when I probably starting forming my own taste, I was hearing all my older brothers acid house and rave stuff - so from a teen I was into the beginnings of hardcore, happy hardcore , jungle etc. I stayed with that and then have been into most flavours of electronic music. After I got my decks a few friends were like "you got decks you need to listen to some hip-hop mate!" - so via scratching in the late 90's I eventually broadened my collection into some hip-hop but I wouldn't say I have gone much outside the main classic stuff.

As a parent now I wonder if my collection has influenced my young kids, but they seem intent on pop / My Little Pony to be honest.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Jeez, loads of you had cool folks. Mine were rubs.

Mum: wasn't that fussed about music til she was older and liked Dire Straits, which i liked when it came out as a nipper cos of the Money for nothing vid (similar to why i liked the song sledgehammer for ages)

Dad: Did have Meddle by P.F. and Sarge Pepper's which listened to as a five year old and liked which seems an appropriate age to like it at, but wasn't fussed. Ooo, i liked my dad's tom petty tape he had, but cannot remember what it was.

My auntie however was into Dub and Roots Reggae and Rub A Dub and still lived at my nans when was small so i got to hear loads of that, which is oddly probably why i'm not super into roots reggae cos i just heard it loads as a kid, in the same way my dad read lords of the rings to me as a kid and i was all like "pfff, who cares" when the films came out. Probably a self defeating attitude but there you go.

Also my Uncle on that side also was living at my nans on and off and was a drummer and guitarist and in bands and even had a record about being a modern man (side a) and squatters (side b) on BBC radio in like 1982 and everything. They probably influenced me tons more.

That said i did work through my folks record collection, such as it was, as a tiny kid and remember them having this fat sized compilation of hits of the like two or three year chunks from the late fifties onwards that id listen to as a very small kiddie chronologically which was good for my musical education i think.

• Like 1