What music did your parents play when you were a kid?

doppelkorn

How did it influence you?

My mum:

Ska, 2-tone, reggae and more 80s stuff like Prince, Madonna and some newer kind of 80s soft rocky stuff.

My Dad:

70s singer-songwriter stuff so CSNY, Neil Young, Dylan, The Band.

They both liked/like Motown too.

Thankfully no fucking Beatles :)

I have to say I love all that stuff listed above so it's massively influenced me but I dunno where I get my rap love from. My parents only like/liked one rap song each. For my mum it was Gravel Pit and my dad kind of likes White Lines.

My mum played country, Constantly !.

It drove me crazy, and than it was Magic radio. Which drove me equally crazy. I still hate it to this day.

My dad was alternative. Stuff like Oasis, Radiohead, REM, Lightning seeds, Bowie, The Cure etcI would say that my dad music tastes influenced me alot. Now he comes to me for advice for what new bands and music to listening to.

He also went through a phase of listening to techno. Im glad he grew out of it though. Cant stand it.

Ive taken nothing from what my mum played, except i know i hate it.

Now all i do is listening to alternative, Ive gotten into the bands that he used to play when I was a kid. Half of it i suppose is reminising.

when i was young (say 6-10 - i remember this period mainly for car tapes, maybe cos my mum and stepdad hooked up when i was about 6)

Stepdad:

Pet Shop Boys

Genesis

Bangles

Waterboys

Mum

Tanita Tikram

Phil Collins But...Seriously

OMD

Dad

Country (Garth Brooks, Linda Ronstadt)

then when i was in my early to mid teens they all seemed to get a bit into opera. My stepdad listens to loads of different stuff though - jazz, opera, 80s pop, 70s singer/songwriter, through to more contemporary stuff like Blur, Elbow, Bebel Gilberto etc. Never heard him listen to rap, although i did get Paid In Full 7" from the attic.

Do you hate Beatles then Dopp?

Not really, just scousers. I actually prefer their solo stuff I reckon.

It's totally true about car tapes. My mum had one called "Love II Rock" which was all power ballads (Roxette, T'Pau, Bon Jovi) and my dad had his own one with songer-songwriters on lie Neil Young, Dylan, Beach Boys, Graham Nash, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen and loads of other cool stuff. I swear them car tapes influenced me more than anything else in the 90s. Well them and the little portable TV in my room.

My mum used to play Bruce springsteen, boyzone, wet wet wet, rod Stewart, genesis, take that, rolling stones and a few others, my dad never has music on so I could only find out what he liked by going through his records but it was similar to my mums taste minus the boybands but with electric light orchestra, stone roses and more rock stuff thrown in. I like a few springsteen songs still but the rest I got played in car journeys was cack! I think my mum just listens to x factor , boyband comeback albums and corny country albums now!

I do , however, remember my mum bought me exodus by bob marley on tape when I was 3 or 4 because I went crazy every time it was on the radio and we listened to that loads.

Awful stuff: -

Cliff Richard

Top of the Pops compilations (those shitty 70s albums where the songs were all cover versions)

The Platters

Shit like that.

There was a couple that used to live 2 doors up from me with 3 sons. The middle son, Adrian, was a huge music head with a large record collection and he'd tape records for me all the time (this was back in the 70s). He was the biggest influence on me musically when I was growing up, until electro/hip hop became popular and I got into that through kids at school. My parents' taste on music didn't influence me at all, although maybe it influenced me to seek out something other than what they were listening to, lol.

@Steve - FLOL!

@SLAC - Pretty unusual on both accounts!

@ Dopp - I have a sexy visual of ur mom based on her amazing taste in music. Sry. Can't help it.

Not really, just scousers. I actually prefer their solo stuff I reckon..

Me too. I like the Stones better personally.

My mom isn't that into music other than Motown. She also listens to Gregorian chants and conservative talk radio.

My dad listens to a lot of music. Marley, Beatles, Stones, Zep, Iron Butterfly, War, Van Morrison, Joe Cocker (we went and saw him open for Tina Turner), Willie Nelson (we saw him too), Towns Van Zant, Eric Burdon, Moody Blues, Cream, Basia, Steve Winwood, Huey Lewis... He has a pretty big 70s rock vinyl collection.

Recently he has been into Turkish pop tho.

Mum and Dad loved the same music so it went

stones

joni mitchell

janis joplin

captain beefheart

Jeferson airplane

aretha

otis

Jimi

Cream

Zepplin

They liked some beatles stuff but in general never fogave paul McCartney for his solo/wings career so it was a lot of Lennon solo stuff. The rest of my family fucking loved mowtown and bob marley so I heard a lot of that. In the car on the way to carrick on holiday with my slightly posher cousins it was wet wet wet, deacon blue, Hue and Cry, whitney, madonna and the carpenters all of which I can tolerate for nostalgia.

Basically I had a fucking great introduction to music. My Dad was also a classically trained pianist and used to play beethovens fifth in the liveing room which if you have never experienced is quite fucking cool!

I got into hip hop through friends and I am eternally grateful because it was through this that I found Jazz which is my favourite genre!

@ Dopp My daughter is obssessed with the Beatles and so I have to listen to them a lot and I have to say I love them now. What a band. They probably are the best band ever in terms of easily accessible good music! Also never mind Scousers if you want to see real scum get yersel tae glesga!! :(

Wow, lots of the same stuff. My old man is also a massive Van Morrison nut.

I wonder if there's a direct correlation between being force-fed 70s rock and being into a socially-stigmatised performance hobby?

my dad used to kain smash hits 93 in the car all the time. but i'd say his fav was deep purple, i also have his mike oldfield tubular bells vinyl. so not all bad. i remember talking to him about music once and he mainly went on about prog rock.

my mum liked take that etc. general top of the pops stuff really.

my uncle tho gave me 2 tapes when i was very young, one was called 'ragga heat, reggae beat' and the other '1950's rock and roll love songs' i loved these tapes and mum and dad bought me a walkman to listen to them on, so i had the on repeat from young, even then i had a fetish for headphones and walkmans. i was actually uite upset to find that the 1950s tape has perish since.

John Denver

Simon & Garfunkel

Hall & Oates

that mad short lad with the curly hair

dad was all Thelonious Monk, Count Basie, early Miles Davis, etc. but he completely kept it under his hat, I didn't find out about that til i was in my 20's

Guest loop skywalker

holy fuck...some of the stuff all your parents listened to were all around my growing up era.....im probably all or some of yours dad ! (only if have reasonably fit mums tho)