BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Overused Samples Pt.2 (Can you still flip James?)

DJ Rock Well

We got a 3 day weekend. If yall don't mind waiting till midnight Monday I'll defo get one in. Trying to bang out most of it tonight tho. Hoping I don't need that long.

• Like 2

How the feck did you do that just on a SP404? Mind blown

Its just the way ive always worked in the past doob cos when i first had a sampler in 1995 (a Roland MS 1)i didnt have a computer and I was too lazy (that should say stoned )to learn the multi track recording section in the manual when I got my Sp 808 so I just used to set up the loops so I could play them live and used to record everything to tape or onto mini disc

I just did the same thing with this track for the battle by using one extended live drum loop to jam along too with the other sampled sounds ,the bassline is from a heavy metal record thats actually played in double time triplets but it changes to an almost Funk style when its chopped and sampled so you can stagger the notes and just play it off against what the bass drum is doing ,

The rest of the samples are just pulled from all over the place by me literally going through loads of stuff ive got in my sample library that I think may work trying them and finding the ones ill use in the eventual finished track and discarding the rest

Then I go into my ultra serious groove mode and just jam the living fuck out of the bass and drum parts for a couple of days til im happy with it as an arragement and add the other sounds in as i go along by usually resampling them using loads of delay to keep the sounds flowing into and against each other to act as counter melodies and lead lines

I record everything I do constantly on MD and pick the final arrangement of the music i like the best and then make the recording with it all fresh in my head and just keep doing one takes until its done basically

Because i dont own any recording software and my PC is literally in bits being slowly rebuilt by my mate Kev (whos a cunt btw if you see him cause he aint been round for a fortnight hehe ) and my sons been away working and needed his laptop i just did it that way otherwise I wouldnt have been able to take part in the challenge and i wasnt having that lol

I actually prefer to make my tracks this way because I feel like ive got more control over the music somehow and Im a complete luddite with computer recording anyway (we used Ableton in the last battle but Alecs did the work on that score while i arranged the music in the same manner i always do )

Anyhoo thats how i do my stuff and i apologise for boring the shit out of everyone probably for taking so long to explain my undoubtedly stupid /odd (insert chosen word ) methods

It is a lot of fun though.... :d

• Like 1

Really good man! That's what I thought you did I guess but it it's cool to get confirmation from the man himself.

Sounds really nice and organic that way for sure.

I tried hooking up my SP303 for this one but the recording back out of the device was really quiet so ditched it in the end.

• Like 1

Arrrgghhh !

Dirk is somehow making me succumb to trap beats...

What the fuck is happening to me ??

i used to be so damn funky and now im looking in the fridge for the purple sizzurp

We even used the same JB sample which proves that Trap is now slowly taking over my mind

someone, please help meeeeee....

(And bring me some goddamn Jolly Ranchers while you're about it )

• Like 1

Arrrgghhh !

Dirk is somehow making me succumb to trap beats...

What the fuck is happening to me ??

i used to be so damn funky and now im looking in the fridge for the purple sizzurp

We even used the same JB sample which proves that Trap is now slowly taking over my mind

someone, please help meeeeee....

(And bring me some goddamn Jolly Ranchers while you're about it )

Pleased to be of assistance! :p

Yeah man, that source song is amazing. i wondered if anyone else would sample it. I had completely chopped a different track into two dozen bits then I heard Mama's Dead and was like oh shit. I have to use this. Fuck everything else!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Nice choice to use Dirk and Dan :) I went minimal on mine and only used a little snippet from Mama's dead and White Lightning (I Mean Moonshine)

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Obviously hence the sample challenge he dining with James Brown, trouble is he's still waiting for James to pass the peas ;)

• Like 3