1. 1. Who wins? (definitely not Bob)

• Danswift
    • Diggla
    • Flexinoodle
    • Rock Well
    • Symatic
    • Joe Clockwork
    • Broma

Rock -Thanks a lot for the advice mate ,im gonna do a bit of research and have a read up on the various machines and will let you know if i need to ask any specific questions,not sure what my eventual budget will be at this moment as im also considering selling off another peice of equipment i never use anymore if it helps towards getting something with better features etc

Also regarding the SP 404 im in the same camp as you here

its a very cool sampler with some nice features and is easy as anything to use but it does have some shortcomings and i personally wouldnt pay the prices that ive seen these units up on sale for at the moment

SP 404s and 303s are currently fashionable and it seems you pay the price for that... blame the LA Beats scenesters!

It depends what your priorities are and most hardware samplers you could be in the market for have some shortcomings, but the most complete tool would definitely be an MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS installed. Other ones will do certain thing better perhaps, but as a one box that does all, they are hard to beat.

• Like 1

Unless you specifically want a hardware unit, nowadays i can't recommend Maschine or Akai MPC Studio highly enough, the convenience factor is huge, the sound is whatever you want it to be, and if you don't have your hardware with you, you can still blam beats out (Shit both of them even have smaller IOS versions)

Unless you are super hipster and willing to pay the premium to be so, buying an MPC or Roland SP 2/3/4/5/606 is getting close to being just for collectors, they don't really offer anything accept portability over Maschine and MPC Studio, and even if you want hardware i would look at Akai/Emu/Yamaha Racks, the smaller EMUs specifically go for so little money it is beyond belief.

I love hardware samplers, there is no way i would actually use mine anymore for making beats, it is a ball ache of gargantuan proportions compared to Maschine (I have the Akai Studio too, which has better filters and a few other things, but i still slightly prefer the workflow of Maschine personally)

I have only used a Push2 very quickly, but that is one seriously slick piece of kit too.

• Like 1

Small sidenote, if you are willing to to take an extra step and ignore Maschine and Akai Studio and just use a drum plugin in your DAW, M-Audio Trigger Finger pro can be had brand new for £100, the hardware is rock solid (All metal casing) and it comes with one of the best virtual analogue synths you can get (Air Hybrid 3)

You lose a little bit of ability, like being able to display waveforms on its screens, but truthfully, once you set it up (I have it set up in Studio One here) it is very slick, The M-Audio has something that non of the other controllers can do, it has the ability to conform to multiple control standards at the same time, very slick once you have it set up.

Unless you specifically want a hardware unit, nowadays i can't recommend Maschine or Akai MPC Studio highly enough, the convenience factor is huge, the sound is whatever you want it to be, and if you don't have your hardware with you, you can still blam beats out (Shit both of them even have smaller IOS versions)

Unless you are super hipster and willing to pay the premium to be so, buying an MPC or Roland SP 2/3/4/5/606 is getting close to being just for collectors, they don't really offer anything accept portability over Maschine and MPC Studio, and even if you want hardware i would look at Akai/Emu/Yamaha Racks, the smaller EMUs specifically go for so little money it is beyond belief.

I love hardware samplers, there is no way i would actually use mine anymore for making beats, it is a ball ache of gargantuan proportions compared to Maschine (I have the Akai Studio too, which has better filters and a few other things, but i still slightly prefer the workflow of Maschine personally)

I have only used a Push2 very quickly, but that is one seriously slick piece of kit too.

In a massive apparent contradiction to what I've said above, I must say "+1"

I assumed you specifically wanted a hardware sampler Dan. I got Maschine a month or so after it first came out, sold my 2kXL six months later and have used Maschine for 99% of everything I done sinc. Although it's good value in the long run, you do have to have the computer or factor one into the price.

Oh sidenote 2 haha

Roland

SP are Hipster collectable nonsense (Great samplers blown out of proportion money wise)

Remember the MV8000 and MV8800 (Rare but still kicks the SP and MPC up and down the aisle)

Remember the MC808 and 909 (Some people bitch about the OS, immense machines)

Both of those will be in the MPC1000/2000 ballpark price wise

Extra

Big rumours of the new Roland SP909 dropping on 909 day next month, there have been so many rumours surrounding this thing i am doubting it even exists

Oh and keep in mind the sequencers in the Roland SP are pretty much shite

Flexi-i was looking at the spec of the Roland MV 8000 yesterday as it goes and ive gotta say that it looks like one solid bit of kit which im definitely curios about because the build quality seems to be very good on them,have you used one yourself btw ?

Interesting you guys mention the MV, I've come close to getting one in the past...

Firstly, before I got a computer as the linear audio tracks and potential screen were moving that way whilst keeping the groove box workflow. Then I looked again later as they were so cheap secondhand. I've seen the 8800 go for around £400 and the 8000 sell for around £300 (about the same price as the SP 404 SX secondhand!).

The thing is, I've heard some people swear by them and others who absolutely despise them. Flexi - have you had any hands on experience of any MV?

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I would say a +1 on getting a used Maschine if you don't mind being tethered to a computer to make beats, it's a real dope piece of kit Dan.

If you want a stand alone hardware sampler then again I would +1 on Rockwell suggestion on either a used MPC1000 or if you got a little extra money in the budget a 2500 with JJOS. Rocky hit a home run with the information he give you so I'm just going to add to what he said.

Here a useful comparison chart for the different versions of JJ-OS

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/chart.htm

Also look into what version of JJ-OS the machine has your buying, I would only pay a little extra for a 1000 if it has JJOS2XL to be honest. This allows you to bounce between OS 1, 2, 2XL and 3 to find the one that suits you without having to pay to upgrade to save. For example for you got one with JJOS1 installed on it when you purchased it but after playing around OS2XL is more suited for what you need, it would cost you another 74 dollars to upgrade to 2XL just to save you work. You can use any of the other OS and there functions freely but you can't save until you have paid for the password to save on that OS, so just keep that in mind when looking at them.

Also would recommend the 128mb ram upgrade too Dan, the MPC 1000 default ram is only 16mb which is not ideal especially if you have lengthy chops, trying to load up a load of recorded samples at once to chop for a battle or get in the zone and try working on multiple sequences at once. It will soon really frustrate you :@@

There also a nice buyers guide from the mpc tutor which might come in handed too

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/used-mpc1000-buyers-guide/

I own both the 1000 and 2500 Dan so if you got any questions about either model then hit me up, would do my best to help you out mate.

• Like 1

Yeah just a couple days on the MV, it is basically the halfway spot between MPC and a Hybrid set up, personally i favour Maschine/MPC Studio, the workflow is way more rapid, but out of the hardware units, the MVs are killer once you learn it (but to be fair that is only the case if you are happy to use the mouse and monitor with it)

To be clear i will be buying one when i see a bargain, but it will be for the emporium more than studio centrepiece

Finally voted! Had to go for Diggla in the end for the 15 secs of pure heat at 40 seconds in but they've all got good stuff going on. Really hard to choose as they're all top. Wicked the variety everyone comes up with starting from the same source.

Rock Well, yours has really grown on me and kinda reminds me of the Runaways (the hip hop duo) and uptempo breaks-mode DJ Spinna... which is a good thing ;)

Cheers for the votes and positive comments on mine from a few of you too. I don't have a lot confidence in my stuff and haven't put anything 'out there' in years.

Dan - on the 404 front, I've got a 404SX. Bought it originally for all the wrong reasons mentioned above and hardly used it for years but have come back to it recently, sometimes just as an FX processor running sounds out to it and then back into Ableton but just playing about on it away from a computer screen can be really fun and I come up with stuff I doubt I'd do using Ableton/Maschine.

If you haven't already, using resampling is a lot of fun recording live chops/beats onto another pad rather than using the sequencer and marking the beginning/end points to tighten up the loop. Using the delay as a looper is interesting as well for coming up with weird grooves. Can just sound shit though ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-L4310T7g

I'd struggle to make complete tunes on the thing though.

Interesting stuff Flexi mate, I don't see the mouse and screen as a drawback personally. I think so of the negativity I heard was about the ones without multi outputs and a few other things that mostly bothered MPC users who didn't like that they weren't MPCs.

I once missed an 8000 with the VGA expansion for about £200ish - it was collection only and was lucky with the location and lack of other bidders. But at the last minute I decided I needed the money for something else and withdrew my bid and it went unsold!

Dan's is so awesomely acid-jazz. Realy dig it.

Mine,,, fuk. Shoulda gone with one idea instead of trying to be funny.

Felxi is great too. Reminds me of Dan the Automator so much which is a huge compliment because I adore his production.

Rock's I absolutely love but it started a little slow for me. It has some great meat to it that I wish you jumped straight into.

Sy. Genius man. One of my favs. So well done and super cool. Wish I was that talented.

Joe's really was so smooth that it made me think of Pete Rock. Really fresh.

Broma,,, man, a lot of heet. It gives me chills. Like what I expected Prefuse 73 to be doing now instead of the mental ish he got sidetracked doing.

So tough to pick just one. It ultimately came down to Broma, Dan and Sy. I had to go with Broma. Made my fucking arm-hairs stand on end man. Guttural response. Amazing. I could listen to a whole album of this type of stuff.

EDIT Dude, is it locked again? I thought I was breaking the tie not making another one!

• Like 1

Finally voted! Had to go for Diggla in the end for the 15 secs of pure heat at 40 seconds in but they've all got good stuff going on. Really hard to choose as they're all top. Wicked the variety everyone comes up with starting from the same source.

Rock Well, yours has really grown on me and kinda reminds me of the Runaways (the hip hop duo) and uptempo breaks-mode DJ Spinna... which is a good thing ;)

Cheers for the votes and positive comments on mine from a few of you too. I don't have a lot confidence in my stuff and haven't put anything 'out there' in years.

Dan - on the 404 front, I've got a 404SX. Bought it originally for all the wrong reasons mentioned above and hardly used it for years but have come back to it recently, sometimes just as an FX processor running sounds out to it and then back into Ableton but just playing about on it away from a computer screen can be really fun and I come up with stuff I doubt I'd do using Ableton/Maschine.

If you haven't already, using resampling is a lot of fun recording live chops/beats onto another pad rather than using the sequencer and marking the beginning/end points to tighten up the loop. Using the delay as a looper is interesting as well for coming up with weird grooves. Can just sound shit though ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-L4310T7g

I'd struggle to make complete tunes on the thing though.

So Broma did you use the 404 on the beat for this battle?

What kind of effects were you sticking on it? I got my 303 hooked up through my sound card in the same way now, so looking for some more ideas.

Interesting stuff Flexi mate, I don't see the mouse and screen as a drawback personally. I think so of the negativity I heard was about the ones without multi outputs and a few other things that mostly bothered MPC users who didn't like that they weren't MPCs.

I once missed an 8000 with the VGA expansion for about £200ish - it was collection only and was lucky with the location and lack of other bidders. But at the last minute I decided I needed the money for something else and withdrew my bid and it went unsold!

Yep £200 is silly cheap :(

I never see a mouse or monitor or keyboard as a drawback, in fact, i think the mouse is the most underrated invention that Apple ever pretended to invent, ever since it's invention people have tried to invent something better, and here we are hahaha (It is the modern wheel)

• Like 1

Forgot to say, Dirk and Broma, thanks for the kind words. As you point out, I made something a bit plain which will probably not really be finished until it has done vocals or cuts on it and probably a change of arrangement to fit round them.

Also, Broma, I'm so glad this has got you not only enjoying chopping up samples to make beats, but sharing the results too. This is definitely the place to do it and the response you've got says it all!

• Like 2

So Broma did you use the 404 on the beat for this battle?

What kind of effects were you sticking on it? I got my 303 hooked up through my sound card in the same way now, so looking for some more ideas.

I didn't use it for sampling or the beats to be honest mate! Started in Maschine standalone for the chopping, bass also from the record but a different track (the one note, never got around to doing anything else!) and some of the drums then brought it into Ableton for more drums and fucking more with the sample and vocal chop.

I just ran the whole lot through the 404 compressor which can sound over the top sometimes but seemed to work well on this, and used the isolator at the beginning and the middle bit. Didn't give myself enough time to process individual tracks ;)

But on other things I've messed about with the panning effect, lo fi on external synths sounds pretty sweet, the vinyl sim for the flutter and fake crackle, the lo pas filter and you can get some cool stuff using the DJ FX pitch thing. It messes with the sound in certain way that can sound really nice to me. I'm sure you can get a lot of the same shit using just a DAW but having the effects at your finger tips and experimenting on the 404 feels more immediate and fun.

• 1 year later...

Just bought my tickets. Bob James is coming in September. How could I not go after spawning such an epic beat battle.

• Like 2

Cool Dirk.

Make a tape of the tracks from the battle and try to get it to the man himself !

Oh and you don't have to worry about any of us who took part getting sued for copyright infringement either..

Just blame it on Rock Well,it was all his idea anyway...fjhSb0G.gif

#forgivehimbob

• Like 1

The last time I had a brief chat with Bob he told me that he does actually think you're this guy though..

Its ok,you can relax..I didn't and wouldn't ever divulge your semi secret identity mate.

• 4 months later...

Danswift

DJ Diggla

Flexinoodle

Rock Well

Symatic

25 year old Joe Clockwork

Broma

You know the drill - vote for your favourite.

Voting closes in a week!

Hehe- How bloody brilliant was this particular battle ?

I sat and listened to this one again last night for the first time in ages..and it still sounds marvellous.

I was cracking the laughter big time when Dirk's track was playing, remembering that G-Smooth fiasco. .

Epic stuff boys.!

• Like 1