• Danswift
    • Diggla
    • Flexinoodle
    • Rock Well
    • Symatic
    • Joe Clockwork
    • Broma

Guest Symatic

Was originally gonna go with dirk cos that was too funny but when i listen back to them all the one i really like the sound of overall was dans.

Great round tho everybody killed it!

• Like 1

Some awesome entries this time but I went for Broma. That's such a nice beat! All the others came out a bit breakbeaty but Broma's came out the perfect side of head nodding loosey goosey goodness.

• Like 1

This battle hehe- shit, theres some good stuff here dudes and i personally think every track (im not including my own here ) can be made a case for ..

Dirks for the hilarious radio station concept and G Smooth putdowns was classic and the Trap style swoonyness at 40 seconds was lovely (i hate Trap btw but if it was made like that i'd listen all day to it)

Flexi was totally dope with the contrasting melodies from sweet and light to hard and menacing-and ahh that fuckin Bass dude !

Joe C -your Nautilus flip is really cool and i loved the way you used the sounds of the original track and made something thats been so well rinsed sound so super dope fresh

Rock Well for the B boy throwdown that actually made me want to dance ( i never dance ever,dancing is for poofs)
great production as well Rock btw
the track is screaming out for some cuts and would sound wicked with an MC on there also in my opinion

Sy impresses me on every video he does and just watching you cut and juggle like that makes me a bit jealous that i'll never come close to being able to do that even if i practiced for the rest of my life -props for the old school vibe hitting em hard Sy

Broma for some lushness at the end of the battle and listening back again it kinda reminded me of something that The Avalanches would have had on their first lp
good stuff there mate as i said before you have the makings of something real nice going on there

Damn-ive got some serious thinking to do to pick a winner from these fellas... :d

• Like 2

Yep, standards are very high here! I fucking love the variety of responses to this record and all are serious contenders IMO, but there was one here that just got me in ways the others never quite managed - Dan's.

It's a solid track throughout, but the two different points when the drums drop just had me pulling faces when I first heard it and the feeling wasn't diminished on repeated listens or when directly compared to the others. Dan, you've got to get a sampler of your own somehow! You get my vote cos I like yours the best, simple as that. But the fact you made this in a very limited time frame on borrowed gear seriously inpresses me and I've loved your enthusiam for these battles from the moment you joined DV. Also, going back to what you said in the other thread, there's definitely a certain poetry to the forum your brother started eventually getting you back into music making after his untimely passing and what you've been through since. I'm not at all 'cosmic', but it seems like this beat in this battle was just meant to happen and I'm genuinely looking forward to whatever you may do in the future.

• Like 1

Yep, standards are very high here! I fucking love the variety of responses to this record and all are serious contenders IMO, but there was one here that just got me in ways the others never quite managed - Dan's.

It's a solid track throughout, but the two different points when the drums drop just had me pulling faces when I first heard it and the feeling wasn't diminished on repeated listens or when directly compared to the others. Dan, you've got to get a sampler of your own somehow! You get my vote cos I like yours the best, simple as that. But the fact you made this in a very limited time frame on borrowed gear seriously inpresses me and I've loved your enthusiam for these battles from the moment you joined DV. Also, going back to what you said in the other thread, there's definitely a certain poetry to the forum your brother started eventually getting you back into music making after his untimely passing and what you've been through since. I'm not at all 'cosmic', but it seems like this beat in this battle was just meant to happen and I'm genuinely looking forward to whatever you may do in the future.

Yeah Dan's was proper badass to for sure. Deffo a track and not just a beat per se

• Like 1

Rock - thank you for the nice words mate im genuinely pleased you appreciated the track and i also say many thanks to everyone who commented on it

It was all a bit flying by the seat of the pants to even get it finished on time tbh and i had to make a few sacrifices regarding the music one thing namely being the drumtrack which is just a manipulated 2 bar loop in place of the drums i wanted to use which is a break that runs for about 4 minutes with a much tougher sound and some very cool rolls and tons of little breakdowns etc but would have taken me all of the time i had with the samplers to arrange so a compromise had to be made there unfortunately

The other elements of the music are bits of ideas ive got in my collection of samples on MDs and tapes from over the last 20 years or so ,the spoken word intro and outro part is something i recorded from the radio a long time ago and is something ive always wanted to use in a piece of my own so that was the one bit i was determined to have as the start point

The other arragements come from some prog from Holland on a private pressing lp that is more or less unknown and was actually heading for the dustbin until my lovely missus intercepted the last 4 copies when she lived over there and those are what I used for the change section when the drums first drop

the howling guitars are made from this and were pitched up and down against the seperate bassline to try and give the feeling of some kind of propulsion against the rigidity of the bass and drums then I added the "you never heard it like this before " vocal samples

The second drum drop point uses the night on bald mountain sample and a bass part from a disco track that i didnt think would work as the pitch of the notes is different to the first section but it actually works pretty well i think because of the contrast- with this i wanted almost a dancehall feel to this section and this was my attempt at trying to capture that vibe

For the 3rd part i dropped back to the first B-line again reprised the guitars and keys then added the melody lines of what sounds like guitars again but are actually synth notes playing backwards and reverbed to hell hehe and the section is repeated twice to stretch the track because it didnt seem to feel right played just the once

The outro section when the spoken word reappears was made on the Sunday morning while consuming coffee and special roll ups and was made from all seperate elements i pulled from various sources ,this was a real bit of fun making as i literally just made it from nothing and again thought wouldnt work but is probably my favourite bit of arranging ive ever done and I was really happy with that section as it turned the track on its head somewhat and made for a nice way to end it on

The track was then transfered onto 4 track tape and mixed back from the tape to the laptop with some filtering on the drums from an Akai S900 and then it was finished ,I was pretty satisfied with the results seeing as how it was done in under 3 days but a week would have been ideal reallly

Its funny because the one thing that was running through my mind throughout the recording was "ive got to please Rock Well with this and get this right" lol & i think i owed you that for the inspiration you gave me by picking the source material in the first place

When the battle is over im going to remix the track with the drums i wanted to use initially and will stick it up on DV for all to hear...

Apologies for the long winded post

Rock - thank you for the nice words mate im genuinely pleased you appreciated the track and i also say many thanks to everyone who commented on it

It was all a bit flying by the seat of the pants to even get it finished on time tbh and i had to make a few sacrifices regarding the music one thing namely being the drumtrack which is just a manipulated 2 bar loop in place of the drums i wanted to use which is a break that runs for about 4 minutes with a much tougher sound and some very cool rolls and tons of little breakdowns etc but would have taken me all of the time i had with the samplers to arrange so a compromise had to be made there unfortunately

The other elements of the music are bits of ideas ive got in my collection of samples on MDs and tapes from over the last 20 years or so ,the spoken word intro and outro part is something i recorded from the radio a long time ago and is something ive always wanted to use in a piece of my own so that was the one bit i was determined to have as the start point

The other arragements come from some prog from Holland on private pressing lp that is more or less unknown and was actually heading for the dustbin until my lovely missus intercepted the last 4 copies when she lived over there and those are what I used for the change section when the drums first drop

the howling guitars are made from this and were pitched up and down against the seperate bassline to try and give the feeling of some kind of propulsion against the rigidity of the bass and drums then I added the "you never heard it like this before " vocal samples

The second drum drop point uses the night on bald mountain sample and a bass part from a disco track that i didnt think would work as the pitch of the notes is different to the first section but it actually works pretty well i think because of the contrast- with this i wanted almost a dancehall feel to this section and this was my attempt at trying to capture that vibe

For the 3rd part i dropped back to the first B-line again reprised the guitars and keys then added the melody lines of what sounds like guitars again but are actually synth notes playing backwards and reverbed to hell hehe and the section is repeated twice to stretch the track because it didnt seem to feel right played just the once

The outro section when the spoken word reappears was made on the Sunday morning while consuming coffee and special roll ups and was made from all seperate elements i pulled from various sources ,this was a real bit of fun making as i literally just made it from nothing and again thought wouldnt work but is probably my favourite bit of arranging ive ever done and I was really happy with that section as it turned the track on its head somewhat and made for a nice way to end it on

The track was then transfered onto 4 track tape and mixed back from the tape to the laptop with some filtering on the drums from an Akai S900 and then it was finished ,I was pretty satisfied with the results seeing as how it was done in under 3 days but a week would have been ideal reallly

Its funny because the one thing that was running through my mind throughout the recording was "ive got to please Rock Well with this and get this right" lol & i think i owed you that for the inspiration you gave me by picking the source material in the first place

When the battle is over im going to remix the track with the drums i wanted to use initially and will stick it up on DV for all to hear...

Apologies for the long winded post

Maaaaan, you need to have a working sampler man.... Like seriously, what's going on? You can get em so cheap nowadays :o

• Like 1

Well to be fair i never had any intention to make sampled tracks again as i stopped years ago to concentrate purely on acoustic playing and ive also made a few slide guitars in that time as well but it literally was just the fact Rock chose Bob James that really made me want to have a go again

But youre right Doobs i absolutely do need a sampler again and im definitely having my own by the end of the summer for sure because once id started recording i realized how much id missed doing it

The strangest thing happened to me the other day when i picked up one of my guitars which is a beautiful instrument (a Brunswick BTK 50 for anyone whos remotely interested in guitars)

i had it in my hands for a few minutes just playing some Jazz chords and i just didnt want to play it- in fact all i wanted to do was make some beats hehe and that is the main reason im definitely getting one again now

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Some real fire in this battle and probably the tightest one to date to judge and vote for. As I really can't decide on a true winner as it's that close, there was only one thing to do. So in true British country bumpkin style, I released 7 ducks with different colour tags into the wilderness and the first to meet the fate of my 12 bore shotgun would get my vote.

Unfortunately I don't own a shotgun, nor a firearm licence, 7 ducks or any colour tags. So I had to settle with plan B

After many missed shots, we finally got a winner

Well done to Symatic :8

• Like 2

Been out of town so haven't had a chance to listen to them all yet but really looking forward to running through them all. These DV battles are fucking top notch every month. Was really hoping to win this rec but from the looks of it Broma and dan smashed it. Bastards!

• Like 1

There are some sublime moments in all of these tracks here and because the standard has been so high its been really difficult to choose a favourite mix from them but in the end ive voted for Flexi

You lot are a talented bunch of geezers and why you're all not making albums and owning big houses in the countryside is beyond me....super dope battle everyone ,ive personally loved every minute of it thats for sure and im pretty sure ill also be up for the next one

Now.. how about Bob James "Two" Rock ?! :d

Sampler update -

Done a deal with my buddy Mitch who is more than happy to give me the cash for my Brunswick acoustic guitar (which is basically brand new anyway )in a couple of weeks time when hes back from visiting his daughter in Canada
then i will be officialy in the market for a new sampler ,keep your eyes open for me fellas and let me know if you spot anything decent or you know of anyone whos selling

I also have a borrowed SP 404 set up in my kitchen at the moment and spent most of yesterday working on another track and some other ideas

Beat-tastic vibes all round and im more than happy thats for sure

I have already said goodbye to my wife and children in advance... :d

Guest Symatic

nice dan! sp-404 is dope, i might have to get one again, i had to sell mine after only 6 months or so but it was great while it lasted

Does anyone recommend the MPC 1000 ? ive noticed there are quite a few up for sale at the moment and i do like the idea of

owning some sort of MPC as i know lots of peeps on here have them but im a little in the dark over which models are the best for my needs

My son has an MPC 2000 and loves it but ive never tried that either tbh so any advice from the good men of DV would be much appreciated here

I've had a few MPCs mate. The 2000 and 2000XL are lovely machines which still have the last remains of the classic MPC sound, but come with their limitations, particularly the 2000 as it's not an easy conversion to CF card like the XL is, just floppies or external SCSI zip or hard drive (good luch finding the hard drives though!). Personally, I find the jog wheel on the 2000 to be an absolute abomination, but others disagree. The 1000 was a later machine and apart from portability, it's functionality is much more modern and if you aren't about to use it in contsant conjucntion with a computer (or mastering studio) it's what I'd get if I were you. Apart from the OS being much more fully featurd, the 1000 (and 2500) both have a third party operating system available (JJOS) which can make these samplers do many more things than Akai ever let them. Apart from the fancy features, just having things like a high pass filter (only low pass exists on the 2000 series) will make it much more useful. The two things to look out for on the 1000 are the pads and worn tact switches - both items were downgraded when the model came out. The pads were eventually fixed by Akai and there are third party solutions out there too. Blue and red ones oare the oldest and came with shitty pads and the subsequent black ones had their changed in the middle of their life span. The tact switches are ok and cheap to replace (but need to be soldered) but a well hammered machine will probably have a few that are getting tired. I could go on, but more realistically, if you have any specific questions mate, just hit me up!

• Like 1

nice dan! sp-404 is dope, i might have to get one again, i had to sell mine after only 6 months or so but it was great while it lasted

I quite like the look of those SP 404SX samplers as cool portable hardware sampler. But... they seem to sell secondhand for about 3/4 of their new price (about £360-380) and that seems like an awful lot of money. Or at least you could get a more serious bit of kit for almost the same amount, or a little more.