Rane 72

This has definitely got my attention. Other than the features that seem obvious, I have two hopes for this : An FX send/return & for Rane to finally have a decent channel fader curve setting suitable for both cutting and fading - like the Vestax mixers and the S9.

While the 62 was really unique at the time it was released and offered lots of new possibilities like having lots of serato control features and hardware fx & filters on a scratch mixer, the build quality on the pots/fader carriers/cue buttons was pretty flimsy ... and since switching to the S9, every time I've used the 62 i've felt like I'm going to break something (which I did quite often when I was using the 62 every day for practice and shows). I hope this is something that has been addressed and they've built a tank. I loved using the 62 but always wished those features were built to take a bit more of a beating :)

I'm very interested to see what features the screen allows and if there's any new USPs there (other than the footswitch of course) that will separate it from being a S9 clone. The S9's FX are a lot better than what was on the 62, so I'm hoping they've stepped that up too and have something in the bag that will offer new possibilities for DJs, which is what we all want on top of covering all of today's essentials, right?

The usb turntable inputs sound like some sort of controller add on which could be interesting too?

EDIT: also interested to know if they've kept the soundcard possibilities from the 62 for Ableton connectivity

• Like 1

Great, yet another amazeballs serato mixer that makes me wish I wasn't beyond balls deep in to Traktor's remix decks for digi turntablism stuff, gah :(

There's a shady picture of a Rane controller deck doing the rounds which may explain the USB TT inputs, be a nice surprise if it turns out to be real. Done properly a controller turntable should out perform DVS and give a tighter/closer to real wax scratching experience.

• Like 1

I must give props to Rane for actually listening to everyone's wishlist and dropping them all on the 72, but design-wise it looks more of a modded 62 than a new mixer.

Hopefully, the InMusic price policy will kick in and it will be priced below the S9, otherwise with Rane's usual pricing policy this thing should cost a kidney, an arm, a foot, an ear and a couple grandsons altogether.

• Like 1

I hope it does have internal DVS. I think that's a way better option than a computer. No worries about compatibility or anything and ti seems like they could get the lag way down if they built a dedicated system from the ground up.

Shit, that didn't even occur to me - that would be awesome. I suspect the screen is going to be for fx of some sort, though.

This has definitely got my attention. Other than the features that seem obvious, I have two hopes for this : An FX send/return & for Rane to finally have a decent channel fader curve setting suitable for both cutting and fading - like the Vestax mixers and the S9.

Always curious how this worked. I've had Rane mixers since forever. How can you have a gradual and sharp cutoff at the same time?

The adjust on the 07pro & 08 pro can be set to an exponential curve. It's sharp enough over the first 0.5 - 1cm or so to give the impression of transforming etc but is still softer than what you'd expect a cross fader to be. The fader attenuates much more gradually over the rest of the fader so you can still do fade outs.

The curve control is basically : Left=exponential Center=Linear Right=On/Off and subtle grades in between those settings.

Rane mixers only really give you Linear and On/Off settings - really limiting if you want add cuts into juggles or to do fade scratches with anything more elaborate than some crude stabs and babys.

(05s and 06s can be set to an exponential curve too to but it has to do be done from an internal switch.)

• Like 1

I hope it does have internal DVS. I think that's a way better option than a computer. No worries about compatibility or anything and ti seems like they could get the lag way down if they built a dedicated system from the ground up.

Despite technology being easily available to do this I think we're a few more years away from it happening, would be fucking dope tho.

Vertical waveforms on that screen would be killer, X/Y touch FX with turntablism..... might be a bit gimmicky but could have uses. If it has a powerful user programmable fx where you can really dial in your presets then you'd def want a decent screen or desktop app to dial that shit in.

• Like 2

Despite technology being easily available to do this I think we're a few more years away from it happening, would be fucking dope tho.

Vertical waveforms on that screen would be killer, X/Y touch FX with turntablism..... might be a bit gimmicky but could have uses. If it has a powerful user programmable fx where you can really dial in your presets then you'd def want a decent screen or desktop app to dial that shit in.

From my perspective, it's just a matter of the mixer still working 10 years down the road (without having to make sure my laptop is still working 10 years down the road). Otherwise they pull this shit where they stop supporting the gear and you end up with a $2000 paperweight. Apple is the worst about this. They basically force you to stop using perfectly good hardware because they want you to buy new stuff.

I'm already concerned about what's going to happen with the older Rane gear. They stopped supporting the 61 within a few years of that coming out.

Totally agree man, it's one of the (few) things I like what NI have done with the Z2, so cheap it's no biggie that it won't get lifetime digi support.

For me to drop £1500 on a mixer it would have to be EXACTLY to my needs, be bomb proof and be reasonably future proof.

Kinda why I felt the 62 was a bit of piss take at its price but that said, "made in USA + epic customer service" was really what you were being charged for with that mixer.

Standalone moving platter media players is what I'd like to see and then tablists would have the same piss easy life's like cdj dj's have. But there's zero appetite in the market for what would be an expensive device when everyone in that market all ready has turntables+ laptop and are generally threatened by thought of a non real wax playing digital turntable.

Being tied to a computer system for dj'ing is basically shit in the long run, especially now apple new pro books are seemingly anti dj.

• Like 1

More info from an FB post

"Just got off the phone with our friends at Rane/InMusic.

Here is what we learned about the Seventy-Two and the return of Rane.

- Seventy-Two has 3 re-engineered faders, with magnetic (not mechanical) tension adjustment and better durability than previous generations.

- We've confirmed that the screen will indeed be a touch screen, though likely with more functionality than pure FX control (couldn't get further clarification).

- The base price will be $1,899 (as always, ask us for a hookup via chat/email, because that's what we do) and ETA is roughly Q4.

- In addition to this mixer, Rane will be bringing back the SL4, a limited edition MP2015 AND another major release, which we couldn't get further clarification on at this point.

*** We'll send full details of all items next Monday morning, including official Seventy-Two and not-yet named media player specs. To be the first to find out, go to http://thedjhookup.com and subscribe now. ***"

• Like 1

If it has a powerful user programmable fx where you can really dial in your presets then you'd def want a decent screen or desktop app to dial that shit in.

Serato FX allow to dial in different parameters per FX and as I can see, the 72 allows for all 3 FX banks to be triggered individually, so I would expect that you can dial in params via the touch screen.