iOS devices suitable for Audio production?

So am i right in thinking that that is only available on the Mac, because IOS has no REX support, because REX support is system wide on desktop, or are they compiling REX support in to a single gadget for IOS ?

FYI i can't be arsed installing Gadget on my pad to find out, its bloated crap haha

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

OK - I'm setting myself the challenge of making a setup that I can use for all the various bits of equipment I have. Since that includes an iPhone 4, a 4s and an iPad 3, iOS apps are going to feature heavily in parts of that.

As I usually have the iPhone 4 with me, I'm starting with that. Moog's Animoog is by far my favourite synth app (and probably my favourite non-hardware synth - seriously, it's THAT fucking good).

It doesn't have a sequencer, though. After trying various options (DM1 got closest but didn't allow for the changing of the pre-assigned MIDI note data) I've been using STEPS. It's kind of like the SQ1, which is dials and buttons rather than piano roll style.

Making music's all fairly longhand using this method, but totally achieveable. So the STEPS sequences the Animoog which I record using the built-in record function. I can then copy that recording to the clipboard and share it (with AudioCopy) to other apps.

First app I tried was iMPC. That worked fine, but editing with iMPC is a total cock punch - it leaves a click at the start of the loop which I can't edit.

I tried Blocs Wave, which is WAY better for accuracy of editing, but doesn't allow me to export the sample.

One app that does let me do that is the Caustic Volca sample editor (which is handily free). It's an excellent sample editor and allows me to share with other apps via AudioCopy/AudioShare... although I've not worker out how best to do that yet.

This is as far as I've got so far, but I'll be adding Aum to the lineup soon as that seems to be incredibly powerful for interapp audio mixing. Also I should be able to use all 3 iOS devices via Link which will hopefully overcome the lack of power in them individually.

OK - I'm setting myself the challenge of making a setup that I can use for all the various bits of equipment I have. Since that includes an iPhone 4, a 4s and an iPad 3, iOS apps are going to feature heavily in parts of that.

As I usually have the iPhone 4 with me, I'm starting with that. Moog's Animoog is by far my favourite synth app (and probably my favourite non-hardware synth - seriously, it's THAT fucking good).

It doesn't have a sequencer, though. After trying various options (DM1 got closest but didn't allow for the changing of the pre-assigned MIDI note data) I've been using STEPS. It's kind of like the SQ1, which is dials and buttons rather than piano roll style.

Making music's all fairly longhand using this method, but totally achieveable. So the STEPS sequences the Animoog which I record using the built-in record function. I can then copy that recording to the clipboard and share it (with AudioCopy) to other apps.

First app I tried was iMPC. That worked fine, but editing with iMPC is a total cock punch - it leaves a click at the start of the loop which I can't edit.

I tried Blocs Wave, which is WAY better for accuracy of editing, but doesn't allow me to export the sample.

One app that does let me do that is the Caustic Volca sample editor (which is handily free). It's an excellent sample editor and allows me to share with other apps via AudioCopy/AudioShare... although I've not worker out how best to do that yet.

This is as far as I've got so far, but I'll be adding Aum to the lineup soon as that seems to be incredibly powerful for interapp audio mixing. Also I should be able to use all 3 iOS devices via Link which will hopefully overcome the lack of power in them individually.

Blocs has sample share an export... you only need to flatten first the sliced ones and the push share button. In your case choose "section mix" and when it finishes the usual window "open in" will appear. Share it to AudioShare, Files or Documents and from there you go.

Guest petesasqwax

I discovered this about an hour after posting! From there I took it into Fieldscaper and it became something else entirely! I'd like to do the whole track on the phone but I'm not sure it can handle what I'm trying to do... we'll see!

I discovered (with help!) that you can record the output of Fieldscaper just by holding the R button in the bottom right of the screen when playing which ever oscillator you want to hear. It records for as long as you hold the button and saves as a wav!

Also look at stagelight (also for android and windows). It’s becoming the new shit and it has free le version.

Works on old devices (almost in my 5s, I need to check in the 4)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29594/stagelight-is-live-on-the-app-store

Requires iOS11 so I should suggest 5s and above but anyways a true deal.

I think I might have to keep an eye on Black Friday deals...

Some devs have started this week ;)

Guest petesasqwax

I've got a list of apps I want to get that I'll jump on if they're on offer and a new ipad wouldn't go amiss! Ideally the Pro 10.5" but more realistically a mini 4 or ipad 2018 (6th gen). Both of the latter are around 300 whereas the 10.5" is easily double that... but absurdly powerful so arguably worth it.

• Like 1

My mini4 is aging well... if I should buy something nowadays I will go for iPad 2018(?) (The one with pencil but not pro) even with the size not being my cup of tea... but more powerful and the pencil could make a difference. Obviously having the mini4 I ended going for macmini late 2012 full and still giggling my head around about how to deal with all of this in live environment or just set a home videocasting as stage...

In fact, this black friday I probably will go rear some lights and hd cam recorder...

Guest petesasqwax

The 2018 is a hell of a lot of ipad for the money - even direct from Apple (before any deals) it's £319 for the entry level storage, which is insane for what it's capable of!