Wifi Mesh System to increase coverage in large house

savwar

Has anyone had experience with one of these, like the Google WiFi, ORbi or the BT system. I'm looking to improve the wifi in my father in laws house which is three story with very think walls.

MVCuEeE.jpg

QAVfyaX.jpgSeems a lot of people have had good results, and seems to be a better system than using a repeater or the wall plug style stuff..

I've been looking at the TP Link one here as it's well priced.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Antivirus-Protection-Replacement/dp/B071241G3R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510142266&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-Link+Deco+M5&dpID=31E8FXKWzAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Opinions, experts, ideas, advice???

Cheers

I was half looking at a mesh system, just because I have nothing better to spend my money on. Which gave the BT and Google ones roughly the same score, BT slightly ahead.

There seems to be millions of them now and they're probably all much of a muchness.

I've never used a mesh system but have done the range extender method. Stopped using it at my house though because it's not big enough to really need it. I do it at my folks tho because their router is in a garage office for some reason. I'm assuming a mesh system wouldn't have the drawback of lower speed that you get from an extender. Wish this was just common practice.

I was half looking at a mesh system, just because I have nothing better to spend my money on. Which gave the BT and Google ones roughly the same score, BT slightly ahead.
There seems to be millions of them now and they're probably all much of a muchness.

^^If you have any interest I have a Almond+ you can have to use as an extender. I assume you want a true mesh system tho.

Yeah I'd want true mesh. For family I have used quite a few homeplugs to get ethernet equivalent to somewhere else in the house. Those have generally worked ok. The wifi coverage in my house is probably good enough as is, though once someone actually moves into our loft conversion I might mesh that sucka.

Yeah I had a plug circuit thing in my folks but you had to switch between networks...

Yeah as this is my father in laws house I'm not gonna be throwing cat 5 cables around.

Yeah I think I'll check the spec/ranges on BT and tp link, as you get 3 for about 200 quid and the Google WiFi is a lot more over 300 for 2 I think.so I'll see which is a better configuration.

It's not being used for mad gaming. Just Netflix occasionally And then to make sure there's not rooms with absolutely no coverage

I use these devolo repeaters. My WiFi is strong enough for the whole house exept for the atomic bunker, where I got my studio installed. So the devolo repeater is sufficient for my music-room...

• Like 1