Got the white screen (of death?) on my MacBook Pro

djdiggla

I've been hyperventilating all weekend. Very similar to what killed my PowerBook. Of course, I am DJing a friend's wedding in Jamaica in less than two weeks so fuck me. I guess at least it didn't happen there.

Anyone had this happen? I got a 15" 2011 MacBook Pro. Hoping it's fixable and fast. Take it in tomorrow. I tried everything on help forums. Sure feels like a punch in the stomach.

Is there a picture in the middle of the screen? A sad folder, a chip, anything?

Does it do a beep pattern when you switch it on?

Is there any way you can try connecting to another Mac and starting in target mode?

In case you haven't tried, hold down Command Option P R when the Mac starts up, it should bong differently to normal - keep it held down and it should power cycle and do the same again, let it do this a couple of times and then let go.

Is there a picture in the middle of the screen? A sad folder, a chip, anything?

Does it do a beep pattern when you switch it on?

Is there any way you can try connecting to another Mac and starting in target mode?

In case you haven't tried, hold down Command Option P R when the Mac starts up, it should bong differently to normal - keep it held down and it should power cycle and do the same again, let it do this a couple of times and then let go.

I haven't done the P R but did shift on boot and command option on boot which were some of the other things I read to try.

It beeps, shows the apple icon then when it disappears the screen stays blank. The first time it happened it was black. One of the times I've restarted it was black with blue pinstripes but the majority of the times it's been a white screen.

Try to plug it to another screen/tv with the hdmi-out. Maybe there's something wrong with your screen.

That's what I was thinking but didn't have a monitor at home. Guess I coulda used a tv

the video processor (permanently affixed to the logic board) is bad. RIP. This is the same shit that happened with my last MacBook. Steve Jobs is laughing in hell. I'm sure of it.

IMO the expensive Dells are really good machines.

I have a friend at Apple that was able to hook me up with a huge discount on a new Macbook Pro... over $1000 off. But even with their expedited shipping that gets it here between the 7th and 9th. I fly out the 11th so it's going to be very tight. Trying not to wind myself up about it.

Damn, that's a helluva discount Dirk. I need to befriend someone at Apple right quick 'cause I still want a Mac.

Yep, that's cuttin' it mad close to your Jamaica date, do you have a backup plan should it not arrive or be ready in time? 2 iPods maybe and a mixer?

True story, I DJed a high school party years back, but they didn't like my music. So I just used Playlist.com (when you could play any track, any time), launched multiple browser tabs to have shit on queue, and errrybody was dancing. Since then I've purchased a gangload of mainstream and 16 year old friendly music, you know, to lure them into my van.

• Like 1

True story, I DJed a high school party years back, but they didn't like my music. So I just used Playlist.com (when you could play any track, any time), launched multiple browser tabs to have shit on queue, and errrybody was dancing. Since then I've purchased a gangload of mainstream and 16 year old friendly music, you know, to lure them into my van.

^^Brilliant. I've never heard of that site.

• Like 1

Yep, that's cuttin' it mad close to your Jamaica date, do you have a backup plan should it not arrive or be ready in time? 2 iPods maybe and a mixer?

My current backup plan is not much of a plan... but Apple has a 2 week open box return policy so if I don't get it by the 8th I'm probably going to buy another from the store... whatever they have... and use that then return it. Really that just gets me an extra day though. It was my original backup plan in case the one I ordered wasn't going to arrive before I left...

The thought went through my mind but I'd planned on just taking a Vestax controller and not real TTs since it's in Jamaica.

Got an email today that it will be delivered the 8th. So that gives me 3 evenings to set it up. Should work out.

^^Brilliant. I've never heard of that site.

Unfortunately, they've significantly changed their format, thus not allowing for immediate queue of tracks. But yes, it was a brilliant idea, one I gleaned from said 16 year old hooligans.

• Like 1

I'm pretty would up but pretty much ready. Would have liked to have tweaked my serato crates a little more. Basically got their playlist of favorite songs, their actual wedding songs, the disco and funk stuff from their engagement party I DJ'd, some reggae and had been adding some random jams from past weddings. Would like to have had more time but have the meat of it done.

Now I'm starting to freak out about more practice stuff like what cables I need, if the venue will have everything they are supposed to, debating bringing my small monitor and stuff like that. Trying to be chill but I have no chill.

• Like 1