Best UK broadband?

Phology

Guest rasteri

Everyone I know seems to be on plusnet just now.

It's probably only a matter of time before Sky or O2 buys them and they become shit (like what happened with easynet, be, etc)

It's worth seeing if your exchange has LLU providers, as sometimes avoiding BT backhaul can avoid congestion. I'm with Zen as they are reassuringly expensive. All providers should be fine providing you have no issues, that's where a decent provider is worth the premium.

I have bt infinity as the normal broadband Max's out at a whoppin 0.8mg as I'm quite far from the exchange. Now I get 50-60 average. Over the last two years it's been fine. I did have an issue with the home hub 5 they sent out another one then a few months later I had problems with my apple express thingy. Changed the router to an Asus and I never get dropouts and everything is smooth as. To be fair bt where willing to go through the motions to check my second home hub but after reading the net I decided to just buy a new router.

I guess it's really depends on what type of speed you are after and what's available in your area as bt infinity is the only viable option where I live.

No problem with potential FTTC speeds then. Just above that table it would have said what exchange the address is served by, if you post that I think we can figure out if other providers have installed their own equipment at the exchange and hence you could dodge some elements of the core BT network.

Seems you have Sky, Talk Talk and Vodafone presence at that exchange - which means if you went with them you would avoid the initial BT network infrastructure. My exchange only had Talk Talk (and BT) presence, but originally I went with a reseller (Uno) of Talk Talk. This means you are using their network but all the admin and support is from another company (i.e. you get to use a decent network but without dealing with Talk Talk directly). You tend to pay a premium for this. If you are going via BTs network you may as well go with Plusnet I suppose, use Quidco or something (has £80 cashback for the unlimited 80/20 FTTC package - which is also discounted to £10/month for the first 6 months. Obviously you always have to pay the voice line rental of about £17/month on top of all these packages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit I am massively hypocritical and inconsistent in my approach, but TalkTalks reputation for shoddy customer service and losing sensitive customer data on two separate occasions puts them firmly on my shit list of companies I refuse to do business with.

For the record my other current shit list companies are:

Sky (Rupert Murdoch cunt head)

BT (for sending me endless junk mail offers)

Any company in the VAG (for fiddling emissions tests)

Tesco (a long standing personal annoyance with how I always felt they were trying to screw me over)

I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. Really I should have sacked off Sony too, but I didn't.

They're all as bad as each other in my opinion, so you might as well try and get a good deal out of something.

Of course, being hacked doesn't help.

My only defence for using Talk Talk is that hopefully they're being super-strict and clamping down on security at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

TalkTalk update:

My internet package was supposed to go live on 22nd March, but I still have no connection. Apparently there is a fault on my line that engineers are looking into.

Strangely I got an email yesterday saying -

"Great news!

Your SimplyBroadband is now up and running. Don't forget to come back to make the most of your TalkTalk!"

But I get home and still nothing is working. Customer service is appalling. I keep getting told I will be updated in 48hrs, then another 48hrs, then again, and again. The last update I got is that the fault is now being looked into by BT Openreach...so fuck knows when that'll get sorted.