I just bought...

Guest petesasqwax

I want that El Capistan. I actually have a dictophone (and could probably get more.) I was thinking about looking into using it as a tape echo but don't have time to eff with it.

Goes without saying, but you'd love the El Cap, JB - almost exactly the sound of a real (no pun intended) tape delay without any of the hassle of maintenance and repair. It's the best thing outside of a Binson... or Sy's beautiful Sony 3-head field recorder

• Like 1

I bought a cigarbox guitar. Two actually. This is the three-string. I want to learn to play slide but if I don't it will look cool as wall deco I guess.

YnyYCD6.jpg

• Like 3

I wish somebody would buy all my shit, nobody is buying fuck all, anybody want an SP808

Gaahhhh!!!!..No !!

So fucking tempted...

I bought a cigarbox guitar. Two actually. This is the three-string. I want to learn to play slide but if I don't it will look cool as wall deco I guess.

YnyYCD6.jpg

That's nice Dirk I've always wanted one of those CBG's .

I play a bit of slide myself,the thing to remember with playing slide is it's all in the thickness of the strings you're using(the heavier the better)as opposed to the action being set too high on the guitar neck,which is a common mistake.

I also have a homebuild project for a resonator I need to finish at some stage but its been on the backburner for a year now.

The sheet metal soundboard pictured on the floor was an absolute motherfucker to cut right but it just needs the centre hole for the single cone and biscuit bridge cutting now which is the easy bit thank fuck .

IhKxMtL.jpg

• Like 2

Good call dan. I'd read that but a good reminder.

You should totally get that 808. If I didn't already have a 404 it would be on my list for sure.

• Like 1

Good call dan. I'd read that but a good reminder.

You should totally get that 808. If I didn't already have a 404 it would be on my list for sure.

Yeah it takes a bit of patience but if you persevere with it playing slide is the tits..its all in the touch (ayo!) ..tunings are important too,I use DADFAD and open G which is DGDGBD for guitar which is spot on for blues type fingerpicking and slide playing.

Edit:

Check your PM's I sent you something.

I'd love that SP-808 btw even more so cause I know it has belonged to Flex and I know how much experience he's had with those machines like myself but they run on Zip Drives and I'm fucking terrified of them from past experience!

• Like 2

You can stick an MCD in it, but they are rare as rocking horse shit, im thinking of buying a 2000xl blue, pulling its mcd and then reselling it on with a cheap replacement (anything works in the mpc really)

But if i sell the cunt then, im gonnawant wonga lol

• Like 2

I just bought Nanostudio1 on sale (less than 5€ with the iAP) for my old iPhone4 (it’s 32bits so that’s first reason to the sale, second seems Ns2 around the corner). Seems worth it as standalone synth/sampler.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17579/nanostudio-1-is-going-to-die-with-ios11-plus-some-good-ns2-news

You can stick an MCD in it, but they are rare as rocking horse shit, im thinking of buying a 2000xl blue, pulling its mcd and then reselling it on with a cheap replacement (anything works in the mpc really)

About this... hardly tempted since sp808 are 150-250€ on my area but that MCD is twice the price of the SP itself :crying:

Underrated machine underpowered by zip drive...

I thought it was only the hotswappable ones that were harder to get, or are you talking about something else?

MPC Stuff sells the non-hotswappable MCD drives

https://www.mpcstuff.com/2000-xl-compact-card-reader-flash-drive-kit-mcd/

I just scored the deal of the century from a guy who is relocating abroad in 2 weeks and had to fire sale all his shit on Craigslist: $500 for 2 Stanton STR8-150's in immaculate condition, aftermarket cloth dust covers, a pair of flight cases for the tables, 4 brand new cartridges with head shells, and a pair of butter rugs to boot.

• Like 3

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Humblebraggist! Lolz. You might as well give it to me cos it seems like a real burden to you!

Werkstatt, it's German for workshop!!!! That was my ad pitch. Idioten! They would have sold thousands!

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Haha! I totally didn't mean it like that but can retrospectively see how I absolutely killed the humble braggadocio!

Obviously I didn't accidentally buy it but I literally bid the opening price and no other fucker bid at all - which was an issue at the time the auction ended because I didn't have the money to pay for it! It's all worked out in the end though so I'm back up to 2 Moogs again with more in the watch list ;)

dehDANj.jpg

Ah4Uet2.jpg

HSor4Zr.jpg

Not 'just bought', but within the last year...

I was so happy with everything I had until Pete sold me his first El Capistan and opened the rabbit hole that is guitar pedals/stomp boxes. I'd resigned myself to the convenience of plugins, but the El Cap dances all over any tape echo plugin (or other tape echo pedals) and really is as good as it gets short of the real thing. Except the real thing is very expensive, inconvenient and high maintenance. I've mentioned this pedal here before, but that good it's worth bringing up again. It's also worth saying that i'f you're ever considering a new one, it might be worth stretching that bit further for the Strymon Timeline which includes most of the Elcap and every other type of delay possible - one delay to rule them all, if you like.

Then I bought the secondhand Minifooger Drive pedal. For only about £100 secondhand (or in my case £130 with a Moog EP-3 expression pedal) you get the cheapest way to add that Moog sound to anything. It has a very basic version of the Moog low pass ladder filter, two overdrive circuits and a cool tone control circuit which does what you's expect in the high and low ranges but actually scoops the mids in the middle rather than boosting it. Not sure what it does to a guitar but it make any synth sound very Moogy and adds so much girth to sounds. In fact I've just tried and given up on an octave pedal partly because the Minifooger does all the bass I'll ever need.

Then came the Digitech Polara Reverb to complete the trio of basic synth enhancements. Digitech are generally a bit shit, but there are now owned by the same company that owns Lexicon, so although it's around a £100 new, it's filled with Lexicon algorithms and so much better than you'd expect. Although the word is definitely getting out as it took three months between me ordering it and any stock actually making it to the UK. Essentially, if you can't afford something like a Strymon Blue Sky, get one of these and it'll do most of the same job for a third of the price.

What really surprised me with all three of these pedals is how they make whatever ever you feed into them, sound so much better than it did. Like all your cheap instruments are suddenly more expensive ones. In fact, I'm considering buying a really cheap shit Casio keyboard off eBay just to make this point! I've made few tracks already amnd I post up some in the future.

And the third picture is a whole other problem which I'll report back on once I've managed to turn it into something other than a bag of bits :d

• Like 5

Guest petesasqwax

I bought a PT-01 Scratch... because I don't cut anymore (read: a mate was selling it for £45 and I couldn't not buy it... because I'm a twat with a gear problem, ALRIGHT???)

• Like 3

Yeah Pete, the portable scratch decks are great. Put a Jesse Dean fader in there and you're set.

Epic post Rockwell!!! I've always been a big fan of guitar pedals for scratching, not realizing 20 years ago that they were a thing for producers too.

How do you guys route the pedals in you signal chain? Do you put the effect on at the time your record the sample, then chop, or do you record, chop, then add the effects? Or some combination? I used to worry a lot about the conversions (analog to digital, back to analog then back to digital), but not so much anymore.

Guest petesasqwax

Ah, man - I'm the wrong person to really answer this because I'm pretty fucking obsessive...

I do mine through the desk, but I send the dry signal in on one stereo input of my soundcard and the effected signal in on another. I use the monitor out and PFL on my mixing desk to process the effected signal, but you could easily do it various other ways (even a signal splitter would do it)

• Like 2

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I'm a massive peddle-file, too, and as a consequence a registered decks offender :(

I've had a penchant recently for recording fx wet as your momz, like it's the late fifties or something, but usually i do something similar to young Peter up there ^ for recording

• Like 2

Ah, man - I'm the wrong person to really answer this because I'm pretty fucking obsessive...

I do mine through the desk, but I send the dry signal in on one stereo input of my soundcard and the effected signal in on another. I use the monitor out and PFL on my mixing desk to process the effected signal, but you could easily do it various other ways (even a signal splitter would do it)

Word, so the chain would be something like, sample source - sampler - mixing desk - effects loop - soundcard?

I always say chain your FX pedals the same way as you would for a guitar.

If you use a Wah pedal like a Crybaby for example always put that in first before anything else and if you're using a delay it will sound better as the last pedal in the chain.

Obviously there's no hard and fast rules..do what you like and experiment to your hearts content but I've found the best results for me personally have come about doing things this way.

Anyway I'm off to have a mess around with this,my new toy,a Sony CF-620 from 1972..I didn't buy it but it was sent to me in the post a couple of weeks ago by the lovely Mr F Noodles Esq.

There's some in and outs at the rear(AYO!) so I can drive the SP-404 through it and distort it,dirty bastardo sampling bandito stylee.

7sHwko3.jpg

Look at the big wood....what? no of course you can't touch it...

1bqtpgi.jpg

• Like 2