Sample Music Festival Berlin - 10th/11th of October (plus video contest with nice prizes)

mfsop

(not my event)

http://www.alexandersonnenfeld.com/index.php?id=105&L=1

Workshops and performances by Afrika Bambaataa, Unkut, Mr. Switch, Eskei..

There's also a contest: record a video of you manipulating a sample (it should be heard at the beginning as is) for up to 3 minutes and win an ST.150 or a Maschine, depending on the category - mail a link to contest@samplemusicfestival.com

The description is at the bottom of the page and only in German but I'm sure you will understand the prizes and categories. ;)

It's in Berlin and it's free, so if you can make it, go for it - would be great to see some DV folks coming over! :)

I have to wait and see if I have time but it should be doable.

• Like 1

Looks ace wish I had the funds to pop over. I'd love to visit a German footy game, smash a jag round the Nurburgring ring and visit one of them bad ass brothels and get a scratch fix as well. Don't think our lass and the bairns would have as much fun. 😆

Well, you can fly from London to Berlin for 25 pounds (without taxes and all the extra costs) with Ryan Air. That's way cheaper than the train ticket I'll have to buy. ;) Other possible airports: East Midlands and Glasgow.

But yeah, I know it won't be easy / too cheap for you guys - still, I'd recommend going to Berlin at least once to everybody. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, here's more information on the competition:

http://www.alexandersonnenfeld.com/index.php?id=105&L=1

(Even more information in the youtube video description!!!)

Event period: August 18th - October 11th 2015

This competition is FREE to enter.

Film duration is a maximum of 3 minutes.

There will be no limitations on the equipment the sample artist wish to use in their performances.

All participants have to download the exclusive sample pack by Le Jad https://lejad.bandcamp.com/album/tubator-sample-pack. Advice: The pack is free! We do not ask any email adress. If people want, they can "name your price" on Bandcamp and give some support for Le Jad.

It contains 404 samples and 32 scratch/battle tools in WAV format. (no MP3, no FLAC, files are all in ZIP files). Use the scratch tools and slice them for finger drumming. Use some samples to build your own scratch melody. Beat Juggling patterns can be used as a beat, beat loops can be used for drumming. Slice, cut, paste, destroy... Let's have fun and be creative for the contest. No limit ;) Just kill it!

The participants can use a beat from any producer for scratching only, not for beatjuggling, and they have to mention the beat/producer/looper that they use.

The contest if opened to many things, they can loop a scratch drumming and scratch over it by using samples from the pack.

Upload this file on your Youtube, Soundcloud (for category music production) Vimeo or Facebook account and send the link to contest@samplemusicfestival.com. #smf2015contest

Please indicate the appropriate category (turntablism, controllerism, music production) for which you have submitted the file in the subject heading.

The judges will be made up of artists of the Sample Music Festival and DJs with enormous credibility and reputation.

Furthermore the -likes & comments- on Facebook will be an important factor in winning.

Video editing is not accepted but there are no restrictions on creative film presentation ie multi camera angles, blue screen techniques, video back-drop, they are all permitted but the sample artist must submit a non stop 3 minute performance.

The best videos will be posted on Sample Music Festival fanpage. The winners (1th & 2th place) of all categories will be announced after the festival date. Good luck!

Prizes: Category -Turntablism-

1th place "Stanton STR8.150 & Stanton DJ Pro 3000" www.stantondj.com

2th place "Magma Riot Backpack www.magma-bags.com & Ortofon Concorde Twin Pack www.ortofon.com

Prizes Category -Controllerism-

1th NI "Maschine" (black) www.native-instruments.com

2th KRK "Rokit RP5G3" www.krksys.com

Prizes Category -Music Production-

1th place "Reloop Keypad" www.reloop.com & Tascam "DR-05" www.tascam.eu

2th place "Cerwing Vega XD-4" www.cerwinvega.com

Judges: Le Jad, Alex Sonnenfeld, Eskei 83, DJ Unkut, Mr. Switch, Marc Hype

That's what I assumed as it's online and there's no battle at the festival. But maybe you'd want to check with Alex Sonnenfeld first if they'd send an STR8-150 to Canada. Of course you can have it sent to my place and I will sell it for you with a fair profit share. ;)

@rockwell, I think the only exception is for the turntablism cat, where u must scratch jads samples but can use any beat..I gotta admit I find the rules a bit confusing and some of the categories could over lap a little . Wanna try this tho if I can find time.

The sample pack jad provided is pretty huge and worth grabbing even if u don't plan to enter..

• 2 weeks later...

Nice going, Sy - now it's only a few hundred members left! I'm still working out the details but I think I'll be there, too. Also, some of the Scratch Buffet guys might come.

If you should get there a bit earlier and want to browse some record stores I might know a guy who knows some places (yeah, it's just me).