Fortnite: Battle Royale (Xbox One, PS4, Windows, OS X)

Steve

Anyone playing this?

If you haven't played it, it's a multiplayer shooter where the game starts with 100 people in it and the goal is to be the last player/squad standing. You parachute into the map with just a pickaxe, but you can quickly find weapons, health tonics etc. It also has a building mechanic, so you can use your pickaxe to knock things down which gives you materials that you can use to build platforms and even fairly complex structures and towers.

A few minutes after you parachute in, a circular area of the map gets marked and you have to get into that circle within a certain time limit, as a storm forms outside the circle which drains your health if you're caught in it. Every few minutes the circle shrinks, so over time you're forced into smaller and smaller areas along with all of the other players that are still alive.

It's free to play and has solo, duo and 4 player squad modes. I like the 4 player mode the best.

I've not put a lot of time into it, but the best I've done so far is third place. It got down to me by myself, another solo guy, then a team of 3. I managed to down 2 of the team of 3 as they didn't see me flanking them, then the solo guy killed me before being killed himself.

The only thing that kinda sucks is if you're playing in a duo/squad and you die early on, cos once you're dead that's it. There's no respawning, so once you're dead all you can do is spectate through a teammate's eyes until your team either wins or they all die. I don't mind that personally, but I know some people find it boring sitting there spectating.

Personally I much prefer it to PUBG, although my only experience of that is via the Xbox One X, where the game is in a very shoddy state (IMO) and isn't up to the same quality it's at on PC.

Havent played PUBG yet but DL'd BR since it was free. Played it once. Parachuted in, spent about 15-20 mins running around gathering weapons and not seeing another damn person. Then get shot in the back by a duo. That was it for me. Not a huge fan of 3rd person shooters anyways. I'd give it another go but pretty unimpressed---do basically nothing for 15 mins then die the second you finally run into someone.

I'll hollar at you next time I'm on and we can give it a go.

You gotten into World of Tanks yet? My grinding is finally paying off with some tanks that aren't complete shit.

I play it occassionaly, I can see they are making quite a bit of money off their battle pass/skins. More into PUBG [PC], I tend to see on the crates on steam to buy other games, it's good for that. Recently bought Escape from Tarkov, which is pretty solid, but another early access game ive been suckered into.

• 2 weeks later...

They've added a 20 player squad mode to this for a limited time, so it's 5 teams of 20 people. I really like the sound of that, although comms would probably get really hectic! Gonna give it a go tonight or tomorrow night I reckon.

They've added a 20 player squad mode to this for a limited time, so it's 5 teams of 20 people. I really like the sound of that, although comms would probably get really hectic! Gonna give it a go tonight or tomorrow night I reckon.

Not in a fortnight? Narf

• Like 2