Old and New Rane Fader differences

Guest Symatic

Guest Symatic

UGHHHHHHH

I foolishly ordered a Rane 62 fader, forgetting they have different connectors (thanks Rane!)

it's got 4 pins and the old ones have 6 pins but it looks like they only use 4....

has anyone hacked these together before? I want to install this in my original TTM56.

I'm hoping if i connect the right connectors that it'll still work???

BJbMlfl.jpg

Apparently the timeline for Rane faders (56 onwards) goes:

Brown (56 & 57)

Black (First lot of 62s - they can develop hairline cracks and break)

Clear (Second lot of 62s)

White

My 56 and 57 both had the brown faders and my 62 had the clears, so I can confirm that much. I've never seen the black four pin model though.

Guest Symatic

yeah - I got a 2nd ttm56 so its easier to do Lords shows and just to generally see me through the oncoming apocalypse.

thing is it came with a innofader in it and the original owner lost the old rane fader.

the inno cuts in really weirdly, like it has the same 3-step cut in that Ranes have, but its really noticable, like its a good couple of mm to get from off to on.... its just annoying and also innofaders are just more trouble than theyre worth in my opinion. especially in rane products, the amount of exta cables and insulation and adapters in there now is silly.

so i just wanna get it back to having normal rane faders all round.

if i can get this fader basterdised ill just stick it in the line fader i use the least, and if it breaks i'll pimp it into a infinity fader.....

I'd happily swap the inno pro for a OG rane fader but after my sterling review i can't imagine anyone being up for that.

I've just been looking for a normal OG rane fadr for feggin ages now so i guess i just got desperate when I bought this one haha

• Like 1

I'd happily swap the inno pro for a OG rane fader but after my sterling review i can't imagine anyone being up for that.

So do the brown carrier faders not show up on eBay etc?

Guest rasteri

I've never done this, but you could try building an adapter.

The pinout for the old style connector is :

8z2DFjE.png

1 - VDD
2 - VSS
3 - Signal
4 - Signal
5 - VSS
6 - VDD

(you'll notice pins 4-6 are a mirror image of 1-3, this is so the connector can be plugged in either way round)

I believe the new style connector is :

1 - VDD
2 - VSS
3 - Signal
4 - Signal

Pin1 is on the right-hand-side of the pic Si posted.

I have no idea if they're interchangeable, but it couldn't hurt to try I suppose. Unless I'm wrong about these pinouts, haha.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Broke - no theyre hard to come by and there is no supplier since rane got taken over by inmusic.

Rasteri - i'll see if i can make an adapter from that, nice one for figuring it out!

Although my 56 fader eventually needed a replacement carrier (still brown though), my 57 fader is still as good as the day I got it. The 62 is another story though, I never liked the stock standard clear carrier fader. It felt like a new mixer when I eventually put the Inno Pro 2 in there.

Guest Symatic

could be the difference there - this mixer has a inno pro in there, so the original version i guess. maybe they made it better.... Tableturnsmore sorted inno pro 2 on his 62 but i remember it being a ball ache to set up and it seemed to suffer if the weather got cold....

To give Innofader a tiny bit of credit where it's due, Paul's Pro2 in his Z2 is finally good.

But pretty much every prior incarnation of that fader in any mixer left me a bit cold. Definitely not as good at first as the hype suggested. And then there's the ball ache of setup, occasional recalibration, getting upset by temp and humidity.

I put one in my Rane 54 and it breathed new useful life into that mixer. After initial calibration it was great (although I was never traveling with it). I still wouldn't swap out a 56 fader for one. A lot of people got carried away with the whole innofader thing. To me it was a lot like putting a straight tonearm on a Techincs 1200, sacrificing tons of engineering for mixed results.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Symatic

so thanks to a very generous Rockwell I now have an old-connector-style Rane fader - Thanks Rocky!

gonna still mess with the 62 fader and see if i can make it work.... weirdly theres a 4 pin connector on the PCB of the TTM56 right next to where you plug your fader cable into, and itt labelled "P&G XFADE". did P&G make a fader for ranes? was this an unused idea? will it work with the 62 style 4-pin faders? WHO KNOWS... lets find out on next weeks episode of EXTREME FADER NERDERY!

• Like 1

Last week I had to take the Innofader out because it starting bleeding thanks to some strange issue with the Sixty Two. It doesn't bleed if I put it in the 06 and if I put a different Inno in the Sixty Two I get the same problem. So it's not the Inno per se, more like some sort of problem that's developed with my mixer recently. I spent hours resetting, reconfiguring... I even had Elliot on the FB chat trying to sort it out.

Anyway, long story short (or TL;DR for you youngsters), I've gone back to a Rane fader except it's the fader board, rails and sensor part from the Sixty Two fader, with a brown 56 carrier/stem part and an Innofader cap on top. Sort of a Frankenstein's monster of faders... but it works beautifully.

• Like 1