BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Axelrod Tribute Round

DJ Rock Well

Seems like the right thing to do - we've all got records that owe a debt to David Axelrod one way or another.

I was gonna go for a more obscure choice, but then I remembered how popular flipping the classics was last year so "Songs of Experience" it is!

The wavs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuysoarux7l4io4/Ax%20Experience%20wavs.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Tuesday, 28th February.

Do Dave proud!!!

• Like 3

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Highly agreed its a fitting DV tribute to a man that we owe so much too, excellent choice Rocky :8

On the D/L now, looking forward to seeing what I can do with this one :)

• Like 1

Fuck yeah..im back in for this battle 100%.

The Songs of innocence lp would have been an even better choice in my opinion but Experience is a splendid selection nonetheless and a very fitting tribute to the mighty Axe.

• Like 1

Fuck yeah..im back in for this battle 100%.

The Songs of innocence lp would have been an even better choice in my opinion but Experience is a splendid selection nonetheless and a very fitting tribute to the mighty Axe.

Sometimes it's almost as though I have to base my choices on the condition of the records I own ;)

I know we can all live with a bit noise and erm... character, but I've still got to be able to record the bloody thing!

• Like 1

Started mine already.

Hopefully this is going to be one of those battles along the lines of the Bob James or James Brown challenges where everyone brings something really unique to the table from sampling a classic record thats obviously been rinsed to hell and back over the years.

Dan, wait til you hear my trance remix of The Human Abstract!!!

I know people who are still reeling from the aftershock of discovering that DJ Shadow didnt actually write Midnight in a perfect world back in 1996 so a DJ Rock Well trance remix in 2017 is probably well overdue mate.

#seeyouinibiza

Guest petesasqwax

Haha, I remember playing The Human Abstract to a Shadow fan and watching his face drop.

"But he's "the Jimmy Page of the sampler" - he can't have just taken wholesale chunks of incredible songs!"

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

On a relate aside, this was mentioned this morning on the podcast I was listening to on the way to work (Joe Schloss interviewed on the Cipher) and it made me laugh that they never said the obvious sample usage that first came to mind. Yes, it was used by the Beastie Boys and on the intro to Stretch and Bobb, but it screams Shadow to most people I would know, I'm sure:

Yes, it was used by the Beastie Boys and on the intro to Stretch and Bobb, but it screams Shadow to most people I would know, I'm sure

I would have thought the first thing that pops into anyone's head would be the Beastie's - or rather the Dust Brothers' - use of it. I had to check WhoSampled to see where Shadow had used it and it wasn't where I'd thought he had.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Yes, it was used by the Beastie Boys and on the intro to Stretch and Bobb, but it screams Shadow to most people I would know, I'm sure

I would have thought the first thing that pops into anyone's head would be the Beastie's - or rather the Dust Brother's - use of it. I had to check WhoSampled to see where Shadow had used it and it wasn't where I'd thought he had.

Here it is Broke

You wait till I piss Dan right off with my super heavy bassline remix of A Divine Image :d

• Like 1

Here it is broke

I did see that on WhoSampled, but thanks anyway. I actually have that Zimbabwe Legit album as well but I've never listened to it.

It's tough scanning through such well used rich pickings for this...

Normally I'd cop a record, look for the very best bits to sample and go. But when a lot of the parts that jump out immediately are all ready in well known tracks it's tough, for me it's often the finding of the sample thats a big part of the beat. Equally I could go the other way and be really obscure with what part to chop and how I use it. But then I feel like I'm wasting golden samples and over thinking it, probably resulting in something weaker in the end.

Anyway, that was my yesterday and what I'm getting at is that I've started something!

You wait till I piss Dan right off with my super heavy bassline remix of A Divine Image :d

Hahaha ...and just wait until I blow you all out of the water with my track that samples only one note of 'The Sick Rose ... :p

#fightingtalk

• Like 1

I haven't started yet. I'm still on tutorial number 2 in the Maschine manual :d

Booooo... If your were RZA you would've thrown the manual in the bin, smoked a pound of weed and woken up in the morning with the whole thing sussed and the 'Ice Cream' beat finished (I think that's how it went at least, it can be hard to keep up with RZA's claims on the latter day Internet)

I haven't started yet. I'm still on tutorial number 2 in the Maschine manual :d

Booooo... If your were RZA you would've thrown the manual in the bin, smoked a pound of weed and woken up in the morning with the whole thing sussed and the 'Ice Cream' beat finished (I think that's how it went at least, it can be hard to keep up with RZA's claims on the latter day Internet)

Really? Did he say that?

I spent years thinking Ice Cream was a piano sample. Like just over a decade!

Props to RZA though, he really flipped that.

Guest petesasqwax

I spent years thinking Ice Cream was a piano sample. Like just over a decade!

Props to RZA though, he really flipped that.

I have huge love for people who go that bit further. The one that still bugs me out is the Mobb Deep "Shook Ones PT 2" Herbie Hancock flip. So ill!

Joe - he was referring to th ASR-10. He did say that although didn't specifically name Ice Cream as the first beat - he just said that the first couple of beats he ever made on the ASR were ones on the Raekwon album and named a couple including Ice Cream. It depends which interview you see too, although he always claims to have spent all night in the studio with the ASR for the first time, smoked a whole big bag of weed and knew the machine inside it and had a finished beat by morning.