The New Roland SP-404-A

Except they wouldn't, because 'JJ' had to be fired and go rogue for JJOS to exist at all. Akai didn't even add sample slicing to their 1000 OS until JJ did it first, same for re-instating proper working pads as per every MPC prior - Nym did it first. In fact everything InMusic ever did was behind the curve IMO, right up to the point that they 'invented' a computer/hardware hybrid system (3 yerars after Maschine came out).

Hardware samplers is currently such a sorry state of affairs, although it's tiny market and bottom of most manufacturer's priorities. Apart from the dominance of computer based production, most people I know using hardware are keener to look back than forward. As in, most hardware based beatmakers I know aspire to one day buy something like an SP-1200 or MPC3000, not the latest spangly christmas trees of lights and unlimited sample time, etc. I'm definitely not knocking anybody for wanting the classics either - they provide something computers can't, whereas newer hardware samplers invariably provide something your computer does but a bit worse.

So although it's a shame, I see why Pioneer have zero interest in making a hardware production tool and have just made a live play device for DJ/producer crossover types and why InMusic (as Akai) and Roland seem to always put in a pretty lacklustre effort. Although both those companies now have a good 15+ year run behind them of pretty consistently dropping the ball, so I think their rubbishness goes way beyong hardware samplers.

• Like 2

most people I know using hardware are keener to look back than forward.

That's because there's absolutely nothing to look forward to....not ever in fact.. :p

We're all doomed and redundant now anyway thanks to those next level records like 'Amazing Lover' and 'Quadrilogy' that have dropped recently .

It wasn't that much of a curveball really, it was hinted three years before it came to market, it was market researched and polled two years before it came to market, it was announced/demo'd nearly a year before it came to market and an analogue poly synth that cheap is not much of a surprise it was going to be the biggest selling synth on the market and looking to actually surpass all previous records (DX7/M1)

Behringer do huge amounts of market research and only bring to market stuff that they can shift in huge numbers, and they have already said that a drum machine and sampler are on the cards, which means there is a market for these things at the right price.

Look at the "Mini Moog for £250" that nobody outside of the usual dickheads can actually tell is not a real Mini Moog when they hear it (And even those dickheads can't, that has been shown) what price could they get an sp1200 replica to market with modern features (Yes there is a rumour)

Akai (Inmusic) brought the overpriced junk they now sell to the market in the belief that they would never have any competition and that these ridiculous premium prices, a MIDI controller with a built in single board computer, that is massively underpowered IE cheap, for £1200 for the budget one, I pretty much despise Pioneer, but their 1000 thing is the same price and looks like somebody actually spent at least a little time designing it.

If Behringer now drops a competing product at Behringer prices, Akai are done, and so are its customers, it is not known for updating very well while it is selling products, when it gets competition like that the updates will dry up (And it is buggy as hell)

Yeah i have played a little with the Behringer synth, solid construction and nice enough sound, I don't want hardware synths anymore and i'm in the process of getting rid of all of mine, so it doesn't interest me that much, but an analogue drum machine and a good sampler is a different matter hahahaha.

• Like 2

I know that Behringer gets knocked a bit but they actually make prettty decent digital delay stomp boxes too at a really good price..I had a couple of them left over from my old rig until i recently sold them to some youths who play in a band at the local college.

They're obviously not as nice sounding as the old Boss DDL's that I've owned but for the money those Behringer pedals are suprisingly good.

I also picked up a second hand Beringher Super Overdrive for £5 a few months ago and its a dope little thing.

• Like 1

Flexi - by curveball I meant not only that they made something for a market dominated by legendary brands that cost ten times more and boutique imitations that cost even more than that and not only was there effort not shit, but many of the synth purists had to admit so. Very interesting to hear of other hardware potentially on the cards too!

Apparently they have somewhere in the region of 20-30 products being developed for market in their new Electronic Instrument business.

I think 4 are currently on the market with the 5th (Mini Moog) coming by the end of the year.

Next year could be very interesting.

• Like 3