What's New with Maschine

djdiggla

Ten years ago Roland released the MV8800

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-mv8800

mv_8800_angle_vga_cd_gal.jpg

https://www.roland.com/us/products/mv-8800/

https://youtu.be/NxaI88AGGZY

It cost around 2K and you can find them second hand starting at 350-400 until 600-800.

It includes varispeed for audiotracks and some variphrase options for chopping afaik. More info at the links.

• Like 2

I always wanted an mv8800, I got an mpc2500 instead and wasn't unhappy with it but there's something really cool about the mv. It felt really good ergonomically.

I like the look of the new maschine but until they update the software I'll wait, I think. My main worry is that they haven't really changed much ergonomically, which doesn't bode too well for a big workflow update for the software. Generally speaking it's so much easier to be hands on with it than Push 2, but ableton is so much more powerful that I don't really use maschine anymore, I use Live with push more or less as a pad controller and the screen for slicing samples, and do everything else with mouse and keyboard. Shame to have gone that way though. It's a pain to use with the komplete keyboard too. In general I feel like I've gone back a fair bit in terms of control.

• Like 1

I like the look of the new controller very much, but I don't think I'd ever use a lot of the new functions. Right now I still use 1.8 software with a MKII controller I only got because i wore out the original one and besides, the holes in my arsenal would be much better filled with Ableton than a newer Maschine.

I just use Maschine like a much faster and more convenient MPC with plugins and I only really work with samples and sounds I've found and recorded myself. That's partly why I'm not even on V2 software, most of the improvements are more about Komplete integration and even then I feel the Studio controller is needed to get the best out of them. My old setup is simple, does what I need it to and I can bang my way around it without having think about the dull stuff. It has few limitations but work-arounds are easy and I just need a few simple tools, some limitations even give you a bit of direction. I'm still the weakest link. Plus I still maintain that good music ultimately boils down to 'good sounds, well placed' - the tools involved are just about finding your own way of getting there without too much grief, I don't need them to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 3

Ten years ago Roland released the MV8800

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-mv8800

mv_8800_angle_vga_cd_gal.jpg

https://www.roland.com/us/products/mv-8800/

It cost around 2K and you can find them second hand starting at 350-400 until 600-800.

It includes varispeed for audiotracks and some variphrase options for chopping afaik. More info at the links.

I've always wanted to try out the MV8000 version personally, it looks like it could be a rock solid piece of gear for the money you can pick them up for nowadays.

Has it got 'Vinyl Sim' tho ? hehe. :d

I should actually be thinking about throwing some dough at getting this damn thing working again..my knackered SP-808 minus several knobs and faders and oh yeah a busted Zip Drive to boot... :|

SdXHQej.jpg

• Like 2

I'm really interested in this, got a MK1 and was thinking about a studio for the screens. This looks like it could be used without almost ever looking at the pc or grabbing the mouse. Which is what i really want.

I agree with you Chris, i really like the Push 2 but it just doesn't feel as integrated with the software as Maschine. there been a few times where I've wanted to do something on Push and had to look it up only to find out it's can't be done from the hardware.

The Machine software isn't perfect but it's not too bad. What i don't understand is people (mostly on the NI forum) that seem obsessed with Maschine being a DAW, it was never meant to be and i wouldn't want it to be.

I kinda do, to be honest! I want linear tracks and audio tracks, and I want realtime time stretch and key shift.

If they let you overlay linear notes so that one off fills etc didn't need to be part of a scene that'd be great. I'd like to see that in Live too, a lane for arranging clips and a lane for adding flourishes. You can do it with midi tracks connected to your main track, but I want it to be seamless.

I also want a sampling bin for Live like maschine, so you can sample directly into a simpler without the mess of having an audio track that you have to convert.

It's the awkward marrying of workflows that nobody's gotten right yet imo. I want to go from feeling something out to arranging it without clutter - live is closer in this respect than maschine but the stuff they both do I think maschine does better in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

Actually... when you put it like that, I'm talking rubbish. I'd love a few linear audio lanes and warping facility therein. That's basically the sum of what my setup is lacking. I guess when I say I don't want it to be a DAW, I mean I just don't want too much other fluff.

In other news, I am currently borrowing a Live 9 equipped laptop and a Push (1) from where I teach. Don't know how to use it yet, but the aim is to remedy this!

• Like 1

MV has timestretching, varipitch and it's standalone. The drawbacks are potability, compatibility so an so... but at actual prices are a steal! Not sure about vinyl simulator effect but for that kind of workflow sp555 is my bet. That machine is overrated and fun as fuck (sometimes better if you don't have the right "sample" lol) but pricey like 404. It's awful see MC909/808 and MV being on 400 and 404/555 being from 300 to 500... wtf? Just for slicing and variphrase these worth the money but obviously if one is in the finger drumming workflow MV8800 is the shit until Roland release "da aira sampla" :p

Did you guys checked the new BM3? I should update the iOS thread maybe...

They are working on audio tracks, it's been in the beta a few times.

Audio tracks are no more and will never exist, they decided that linear audio tracks does not fit the Maschine paradigm and instead they have created an audio module, they have shown mock ups of how it may work and the current beta it is just a synced loop player that still needs to be triggered by a pattern event.

As rock well has said, Maschine 2 is about shifting content, the new arranger got designed and nearly finished as we saw in betas earlier this year, then thrown away when they realised it has no content shifting ability, now audio tracks have been shot down in favour of a loop approach, but obviously it is easier to shift loop content that way.

If the Maschine controllers could be hacked like the Push, the software is available, it is BeatMaker by Intua, it has all the features that NIs (no longer working at NI) developers promised would be in Maschine future.

Lets be clear about this, Maschine is done, it is a great drum machine and should be seen as that and move on (note here I love Maschine by the way haha) in the last year a phone support operator at NI was made project/development manager on Maschine and within a few months was doing phone support again but still project/development manager haha, even NI know Maschine software is not going much farther.

• Like 1

Lets be clear about this, Maschine is done, it is a great drum machine and should be seen as that and move on (note here I love Maschine by the way haha)

This is what I don't get with people (the NI forum is toxic with it) it's a drum machine, it's a great drum machine, it was never sold as a DAW. It's only 8 yeas old, and in that time it's had loads of features added. Live is 17 years old, it didn't get MIDI till version 4 and there are still improvements to be made to it.

I had a go with the beta when it had audio tracks and it didn't feel right, they didn't fit in with the work flow properly (maybe this was on purpose, who knows). Haven't had chance to try the audio module yet.

They are working on audio tracks, it's been in the beta a few times.

Audio tracks are no more and will never exist, they decided that linear audio tracks does not fit the Maschine paradigm and instead they have created an audio module, they have shown mock ups of how it may work and the current beta it is just a synced loop player that still needs to be triggered by a pattern event.

As rock well has said, Maschine 2 is about shifting content, the new arranger got designed and nearly finished as we saw in betas earlier this year, then thrown away when they realised it has no content shifting ability, now audio tracks have been shot down in favour of a loop approach, but obviously it is easier to shift loop content that way.

If the Maschine controllers could be hacked like the Push, the software is available, it is BeatMaker by Intua, it has all the features that NIs (no longer working at NI) developers promised would be in Maschine future.

Lets be clear about this, Maschine is done, it is a great drum machine and should be seen as that and move on (note here I love Maschine by the way haha) in the last year a phone support operator at NI was made project/development manager on Maschine and within a few months was doing phone support again but still project/development manager haha, even NI know Maschine software is not going much farther.

Shame then. Daw not necessary but some improvements can be done.

Mv8800 if anybody in the uk buys one before I do, I will shoot you in the balls.

Hehe- Even though I really don't fancy the idea of being blasted in the nuts by Flexinoodle (at least, not with a gun anyway) i'm seriously tempted to take the plunge on the MV 8000 version, i've been looking at the second hand prices of a few of them over the last week or so, I reckon it would be wicked to run one of those MV's alongside the SP-404 for some pure, unadulterated, pad smashing live beatmaking bizzness .

*starts frantically searching the internet for stockists of bulletproof underwear * :|