go limp for gains

ericuk

I'm practising a lot less than most and I'm not making any progress to the point where anyone would say I've noticeably improved, but I have made small steps in progress by doing one simple thing... loosening my fader wrist... or maybe even my elbow!

it's not like if you made a finger puppet bird peck, or if you were calling an old lady a wanker in the street; it's the other movement. The one you make bracelets or a watch jangle with. it's almost rotating the forearm. This movement allows me to do faster clicks than just my fingers working alone. I have been trying to make my weak hand better with the fader and this is the way I've been making progress.

I've also been using bumpy K's to do super fast autobahns...but that's still a work in progress.

• Like 1

Guest broke

I've also been using bumpy K's to do super fast autobahns...but that's still a work in progress.

One of the local Sydney guys is all over that. Matt Whalan's his name... follow him on Facebook - his practice videos are quality.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

i've been trying to keep it really calm too, theres no real need to be doing stuff all tense, but t's very easy to fall into that trap. if you watch people like djackulate cutting their hands anre super relaxed by the looks of it and it makes theri flow really nice and funky.

i've also been trying to get into doing my 2-click techniques in a more open-fader kind of way, like trying to tap the fader off with my thumb and wrist rather than tap it on twice from the outside with my fingers.

Going loose made all the difference with me too, plus I stopped getting carpel tunnel issues 'cause now my wrist is relaxed AF.

When learning new stuff, I use the muscles either for the first time in that way or just over tense them and they ache. Then I get scared I'm going to end all mashup! Staying relaxed is a skill in itself!

• 3 months later...

What really prompted me to skratch relaxed is when I read about Roger Bannister, the guy who broke the 4 minute mile. Roger stated that he's at his fastest when he's completely relaxed. I had to relearn chirps 'cause I was all tense before, which was naturally affecting the overall sound and speed in a negative manner. Now they're a lot cleaner, quicker, but not necessarily up to my ideal speed, which will prolly always be the case 'cause I wanna go faster.

Are your decks up high enough broke? Mine are now super tall and I dare say it's helping to make everything feel more comfortable.

Yep the bench is 99cm high. I think it's just one of those things that happens learning new scratch technique... as I get more familiar with that style, my hand and wrist don't tense up as much.