Scratch patterns we all have learnt from rap songs.

Karol

Yo, I think each of us has learnt a lot from listening to tracks with some cool scratches on. My idea is that everybody mentions at least 2 songs or videos they took inspiration from and learnt some scratch patterns. I do not mean tutorials ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDfyc2lh4Q (very easy yet practical combination whenever there is a two-syllabic-sample.) I often use it ;D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnoAyMTtZM

(very famous transform pattern back in the day. The one during the rock the bells routine. Like qbert said "a push in transforms". Btw for some period between 89,90 Alladin was second to none!

• Like 2

The Baby Scratch from 'Walk This Way'..

:d

Oh and a transforming thingy with another scratch added into it which i cant remember the name of that Deeswift showed me (not a rap record I know but hey it was fucking Deeswift.. end of )

Oh shit, anything by cash money too, oh deuce detonator too haha (fuck me its no wonder i am shit at cutting, my head is 30 years ago haha)

Im guessing nobody is old enough to say DXT haha

Well... I can do Rockit :d it's the only thing Iearnt from DXT. Cash money tho. ;) Scratching to the funk.

Guest petesasqwax

Dude, Rockit was absolutely something I learned cuts from! When I started off we made a point of learning all the scratching we'd heard growing up so that we had a broad range of cuts available

• Like 1

Then I heard Work the Angles and soiled myself a bit!

And the Kutmasta Kurt remix of "Body Movin'"

Whoa, I hadn't heard that before!

There was also a joint by Red Foo and Dre Kroon called The Freshest. Rev did some silly cuts on the remix. Can't seem to find it on YouTube.

Is it me or does all of Kutmaster Kurt's stuff sound the same? Drum sounds, chops, fills, etc. It's still dope, of course.

rather than tracks (and not really being a hiphop head) I first learned how to scratch by straight up biting Jungle DJ - DJ Hype.

I'd listen to the live sets on tape, replay the fuck out them and learn every sound, even the mistakes haha

I originally learned with strong hand on record with hamster position because the mixer I had, had line switches that worked opposite to the fader.

I also learned how to flare before I learned how to transform, because it seemed logical to get the cuts from the open fader position.

It wasn't until getting exposed to dmc, other dj's that cut and my general frustration of only being able to scratch on certain mixers, that i switched decks and learned regular on the fader.

I learned how to orbit (2 clicks) after seeing craze perform in london (1998) and watching him pinch the fader. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but I aimlessly practiced pinching the fader until the cuts came through... I later learned these were 2 click flares and they were "pinch orbits".

2 tall taught me delayed flares (not boomerangs) and the closed fader style blew my mind (after I had blown my beans).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ea6UAqQO0

:)

Yeah, Kurt has a... hmmm - if you're being critical, it's perhaps a formula; if you're being favourable, maybe it's a "sound" - I think it's a "sound" (but I totally agree!)

I swear that wasn't there when I checked!

Yeah, you can spot his beats a mile off so he definitely has a sound.

The "ow" sound here at 4mins10 was the first thing I tried to copy. The track was on my older sister's copy of Deep Heat 89 compilation.I used her Sony Hi-Fi turntable, the circular volume control "fader" and no slip mat. I turned the otherside of the record grey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fbHOAbOcNI

https://youtu.be/7fbHOAbOcNI?t=4m9s

"Scratch where you like!"

h

WTF is car skid transform?

It's not a technique. He means they were transforming the sound of a car skidding. :d

haha I see. I'm gonna duplicate this thing. There's a similar sample on super seal breaks. it may come in handy now. ; )
  • Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I'm with Eric on the non Hip Hop approach as I was also heavily into the Jungle and Hardcore scenes in my teen years which introduced me to that mesmerising sound called scratching. I also spent a lot of time biting DJ Hype and DJ Sy from mixtapes back in the day, trying my hardest but dodgiest impression of duplicating the cuts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0VJXc0H1s

my first album on vinyl with dope cuts on. I'd say it really helped me being able to squeeze the pin on my pitchless goodmans turntables from index really helped me as I could work the cuts out by ear more easily while played slowly. I also borrowed heavily from 2 live crew as nasty as they wanna be on vinyl as well. Some days I get a bit bored stood trying 6clk knuckle popping forearm destroying stuff and just jump on the right deck and get all joe Cooley for a while 🙂🙂🙂

Started 2 click orbiting on the right deck not long back as well so pretty chuffed bout that as well🙂

• Like 1