DVS showcase prep tips please

joeClockwork

When you lot do DVS performance type stuff, how do you prepare your beats and scratch samples, etc?

I've got tracks of instrumentals and tracks full of samples for scratching. I've used a bit of EQ on the samples and I'm sending all tracks and samples through the same bus with an FG-X mastering plugin. I've also tried keeping the volumes levels the same for all, so that I don't have to faff about with the gain when I'm live.

I think I've sussed it but I won't know what it sounds like over a big system until it's too late!

What kind of processing do you apply to your files? Do you use compressors, limiters, mix buss compressors, etc or do you keep the processing to a minimum? I haven't used compression anywhere before the master bus BTW.

Cheers

• Like 1

Joe I wish I could help but mastering is not my strong point. If I'm using digital files from an online store or something, I don't do much to them at all. If it's something I've recorded from vinyl then I do tend to use a tiny bit of compression and a limiter but that's about it.

Guest rasteri

Just making sure everything is the same volume is the most important thing, it looks really bad when you suddenly drop a sample 10x louder than the last one.

Guest rasteri

Sure. But no processing on the samples?

It depends if they need processing or not :) There's no catch-all rule that'll work for every sample, you just have to individually make them fit with the beats and other samples you'll be using.

Usually EQ is the most important thing after gain, though.

• Like 1