And the winner of the New Year's Beat Battle is...

DJ Rock Well

Kutclass!

Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a record!

Thanks to everyone who took part, I really liked all that I heard.

If I can think of any other ideas for other beat battles and people are still interested, I'll do more at some point. Equally, if anyone else fancies doing something in the future, I'll gladly take part.

If anyone who started something and didn't get it finished in time wants to share it when it's done, that would be cool too.

• Like 4

Woop ! Thanks for the votes guys .. I'd like to thank Allah, the baby jesus and moses for keeping me of the crack.

Tbh was well fun flipping the beat and nice to be inspired. Ive been watching those random record beat making vids and been wanting to try something like this.

Was wondrring if battle wise people wud be up for winner stays on - winner picks an album for the next battle.maybe establish the 'Jimmy Harris beatmakers cup' and make the record an ongoing trophy for future battles ...

• Like 2

I like winner stays on. I think doing some if these each year, just as a small scale thing for DV members is a good idea. Mostly just because it forces us to do something, including stuff that's out of our comfort zone - d00b posted a beat for the first time on DV (I think), Dopp learnt how to produce records just for this, etc.

I think in future it might be good if the premise for what to sample changes every time so it could be we all sample the same track or album, or possibly the same instrument, or record label, or genre of music, or maybe a famous song there are lots of versions of, or classic break or any other number limitations... like maybe we could sample anything but had to end up at one specific genre, etc. I dunno, just saying to first thing that comes into my head really, but I guess everyone gets the idea.

Yeah, I know what you mean man. Obviously I went with that idea because I can turn things up through work without having to pay full whack for them, although I like it that way it might limit some people's scope for another battle if they need to find the record every time. That said, I've got shortlist of LPs I'm looking out for, for future battles.

I just think it would be good to keep something going, even if its just a couple of entries one time or whatever, because you always learn something in these kind of situations... even if its just what not to do next time.