Upgrading OS without having to reinstall everything (win 7 to 8)

chile

Was wondering if its possible to do this? I noticed it can be done from 8 to 10 so was wondering if it could be done from 7 to 8.. Also theoretically speaking, do you recon itd be possible with a dodgy copy of windows 7?

When you go from 7 to 8, you can choose to either keep everything (which includes all Windows settings and installed software), keep your personal files only, or keep nothing.

AFAIK, if you go from 7 straight to 8.1, you only get the options to keep personal files only or keep nothing.

As for upgrading from a dodgy copy of Windows 7, I'm not 100% sure what would happen there.

• Like 1

i was gonna try jump from 8 to 10 after that but 7 to 10 works good for me too.. Only prob is that the theoretically dodgy version of windows has defo not given prompts to upgrade. Might buy windows 10 if its possible though

Guest rasteri

Yeah if 10's your ultimate goal you're better off going straight from 7. Fewer steps = less likely fuckups.

I'm staying with 7 until I'm physically forced to. I'd still be using Windows 95 if I could.

Guest petesasqwax

I'm staying with 7 until I'm physically forced to.

This. I've got it on a laptop and one of my PCs at work, but anything with important shit on is staying on Win 7 until such time as I can see a damn good reason to do otherwise

Re-installling everything has been holding me off from doing it. So Frost, all programs & files were right where you left 'em? Any hardware issues? I'm on windows 7 too.

Yeah exactly the same, not had a problem with that. I've had no hardware issues at all (not got any audio hardware to test) but there are some small niggly software bits but I guess it's a customer beta in a way really.

It's Windows 7 under the hood still, exactly the same in some places but overall I prefer it.

Only prob is that the theoretically dodgy version of windows has defo not given prompts to upgrade.

Try this: http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-still-not-showing-up-this-trick-will-help/ I had the same issue and this fixed it.

• 3 months later...

frost you saved my day... had a horrendous evening of computer problems. long story short i was pretty much forced to upgrade without backing up (wouldn't recognise any type of external drive/SD/usb stick and explorer.exe kept crashing).. so now im on windows 10 and all the problems i had were instantly fixed.. didn't lose any files either.. IS THIS A DREAM?

• Like 1

frost you saved my day... had a horrendous evening of computer problems. long story short i was pretty much forced to upgrade without backing up (wouldn't recognise any type of external drive/SD/usb stick and explorer.exe kept crashing).. so now im on windows 10 and all the problems i had were instantly fixed.. didn't lose any files either.. IS THIS A DREAM?

Good to hear mate. It's easier than you think!