Ask Brace anything

Jon

Continuing on from my interviews with Vekked and Ritchie Ruftone last year, I'm interviewing this year's newly crowned DMC Online World Champion DJ Brace later this afternoon. If you'd like to submit a question for the podcast please feel free to leave a comment below!

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

You did interviews with them?! Where can i see these.

If you just could re-iterate all the questions i asked you on your q and a on TTW you did when it had a forum that would be perfect.

I'd also ask:

Do you know morse code?

If so, doo do doo doo doo do do doo doo do do doo do doo doo do do?

Now you've won the dmc onlines will you now constantly wear a victory cloak?

Dope! The previous two interviews were both really fascinating and very insightful, looking forward to hear this next one!

Obviously gotta cover the whole "the main comp adopt the online open tech debate"

How does he feel about being the final straw which made Vaj-RAA! put all his battle awards away...

(Sorry, I struggle to exist outside my comfort zone of childish or obviousness)

Edit: Actually! I'd quit like to know some details about the pedal he uses,for the filter sweeps, midi USB I guess, looks like some kinda sensor wizardry goin on.

Thoughts/preferences on fretless vs C1 vs midi sequencing to control midi turntables

• Like 3

You did interviews with them?! Where can i see these.

If you just could re-iterate all the questions i asked you on your q and a on TTW you did when it had a forum that would be perfect.

I'd also ask:

Do you know morse code?

If so, doo do doo doo doo do do doo doo do do doo do doo doo do do?

Now you've won the dmc onlines will you now constantly wear a victory cloak?

https://www.mixcloud.com/jon1st/jon1st-x-vekked-interview-july-2015/

and

https://www.mixcloud.com/jon1st/jon1st-x-ritchie-ruftone-interview/

Thanks for the questions so far guys!

• Like 1

When the C1 dropped, some people were saying it was going to be a game changer. Here we are 7 years later and we haven't seen a lot of established, major players applying notes to turntablism. Is that because people are sleeping on the idea of using notes or is it because notes are not the game changer people thought they might be?

• Like 1

One day, a person went to a horse racing area. Instead of counting the number of humans an horses, he conuted 74 heads and 196 legs. How many humans and horses were there?

A. 37 humans and 98 horses

B. 24 horses and 50 humans

C. 31 horses and 74 humans

D. 24 humans and 50 horses
  • Like 3

I definitely feel what he's saying about the C1. I think too many people are trying to use it with tones like a keyboard with a fader and cats who don't have one don't realize that's just a real small segment of what you can do. Brace was talking about the manual manipulations and whatnot and you see Teeko rocking that style. I usually rock very short samples with it and hit the buttons while keeping my hand on the platter so you can kind of scratch and change up the pitch at the same time. For scratching over beats you can make choruses by hitting the notes that and then rock the verse with less musicality. It kind of opens up what you can do with a scratch solo for sure. And I know a lot of DJs don't care much about "scratch music" (scratch composition) anymore, but the ability to change pitch gives you so many more options when you're trying to flip musical samples found on random records. With just one or two bass notes you can make a whole flipped up bassline or do all types of other crazy flips with any sound. Anyway, dope interview and dope set.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you got that interview up so quickly, Jon. Didn't you have to sift through all of the great questions posed by DV members? :d

hehe, tbh mike covered a lot of the questions people asked on here for before i could even ask them :)