The Ruck Deck

Just been reading a load of posts on asses about the ruck and d's new vestax turntable.

I'm not really sure what it is. But it sounds like a turntable specifically designed for playing tunes (with pitch changes) on.

Am i right? :s

I'm sure it will be expensive though, and will also be a production run so small that it guarentees it will be a complete sell out.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike Reezy
mike what happened with that legal shit that was threatened against you for postin this melody table stuff on skratchworx.. it cooled down now?

they were just empty threats I guess.....

i could play "mary had a little lamb" on that with a long beep tone. and then, um, i er, could, um, erm, i could er . . .

its fopr turntable band, you ever you ascending notescales and kutt them up, you know phrase the notes in different orders to make melodies?

that table will take turntable band to the next dimension....

maybe it will.

but cut bands have been making some pretty good sounds without the extra gadgetry (see scratch perverts)

it will be a useful tool. so long as it isnt billed as being the "only future in scratch music" like other ruck ventures

Guest Mike Reezy

it can do anything any turntable can do and more, so yeah its better.

I wonder if it will be as much as QFO' are....

The legal threats were specifically against skratchworx. I just asked Mike to take his copies offline as Vestax had made noises about going after anyone spreading it around.

Still no word on progress on the Melody. I doubt I'd be the first person they'd tell anymore anyway. Everyone involved has signed a non-disclosure agreement so I doubt you'll hear too much about it before Vestax authorises any info for release.

My guess - there's a prototype in the Vestax labs and nobody will see it before NAMM 2006.

Guest Mike Reezy

its a shame shit takes so long to come out.

Its like movies and shit, already done filming them for over a year (sometimes 2) before we even get to see them.

I am impatient, when I mailorder shit, I think every single trucks is the UPS guy....

its a shame shit takes so long to come out.

Its like movies and shit, already done filming them for over a year (sometimes 2) before we even get to see them.

I am impatient, when I mailorder shit, I think every single trucks is the UPS guy....

similarly, even if i know it's going to take 2-5 working days, if it's something im really gagging for it might lead me to set up a mirror infront of the tv with a direct reflection to the street outside so i can see anyone coming.

Just been reading a load of posts on asses about the ruck and d's new vestax turntable.

I'm not really sure what it is. But it sounds like a turntable specifically designed for playing tunes (with pitch changes) on.

Am i right?  :s

I'm sure it will be expensive though, and will also be a production run so small that it guarentees it will be a complete sell out.

There's a 4 page discussion on this that was started back in January mate.

i just found it

Myself and 2ndHand were talking about foot pedal controlled decks in the 80's. I'm sure many other people were too. Perhaps we should ask to have our names engraved on the platter.

maybe now's the time to voice this . . . .

Hehe. What I still don't get about this deck, is how do you tune it, unless you're using records designed for it? When you set the pitch to a C note, it would only be a C if that's what was pressed on the record. If there was some kind of fine tuning knob, you'd still need a way of knowing you'd got a C note unless you could do it by ear.

It sounds interesting, but if it's gonna be a limited run made of wood and metal then it's gonna be pricey I reckon.

Hehe. What I still don't get about this deck, is how do you tune it, unless you're using records designed for it? When you set the pitch to a C note, it would only be a C if that's what was pressed on the record. If there was some kind of fine tuning knob, you'd still need a way of knowing you'd got a C note unless you could do it by ear.

Most good musicians can tune their instrument resonably well by ear. And there's no reason why the turntable couldn't have a zero-point offet adjustment that 'tunes' the record appropriately. Hell, these days it wouldn't be that hard to build a box that tuned itself.

Yeah man, I agree it's possible, but that requires yet more electronics to bump up the cost. Plus, tuning might be easy when you've got a minute or two to do it at home, but if you're in a live situation and have to swap records quickly it'll be more difficult.

It sounds interesting, but if it's gonna be a limited run made of wood and metal then it's gonna be pricey I reckon.

rumour has it that it comes with a record that consists of a qbert diss and a locked flute tone...

FLOL...anyway I think it sounds like a stupid, pointless venture. Ricci has been convinced for so long that the turntable is the be-all-end-all of "instruments," that he's actually trying to turn it into one. Soon you'll be strapping a reed onto your headshell and blowing down the tonearm while you cover holes in the counterweight, playing a circular ring of piano keys around the platter, and pressing brass keys where the pitch slider used to be in order to manipulate the movement of air through the turntable circuitry.