SP1200 fetish nerdgasm (salute)

Guest petesasqwax

I see all those questions and I'm excited like an 8 year old that I know the answers, lol!

First, that super shiny production value of top producers has an answer: 2 SP1200s chained together. Or even 4 of them slaved to an MPC60. The studios they were renting back in the day would always stock a couple SPs for post production, so most of the times they didn't wanted to use an s950 for added sampling time, they would bounce samples on 2 or 3 floppies on different machines, so that they wouldn't have to crunch samples by over pitching them to save sampling time.

Reverb? Your answer is simple: Ensoniq DP4. If you ever used an ASR-10, you would notice the great stock reverb it has. Well, the DP4 has 4 such processors with even more versatility. Forget the Lexicons, these units were too expensive to be used in dodgy rap albums, lol. But the DP4 is still the most affordable pro-level reverb outboard.

Good to know, I've been looking for a decent reverb for years but they're always so freaking expensive.

Kebzer - hear what you're saying with all the high quality gear to go with the SP, but it's sailing too close to my pet hate... The gentrification of hip hop.

The thing is with hip hop, what I personally like most is how it began with poor people who couldn't afford all the expensive gear everybody else was using to make music. So they used what they could lay their hands on (old record players and the family record collection) and their own creativity to make their own thing. Of course different eras have been and gone since, but I think there's always that thread running through hip hop where people with very little material stuff have made whatever they had around them work, wether that's decks and old records in the Bronx back in the day or even something like that little prick Souljah Boy making a hit record with a worthless old computer and a crack of Fruity Loops. As soon as hip hop becomes something you have to be rich to do, I'm out.

I'd level the same gripe towards record collector wallys who say you can only sample off the original issue 45 and stuff like that. When I read about the Beatminerz sampling off cassettes cos they couldn't afford the records, that's hip hop, not some middle class twat buying £500 records on discogs. In fact there has been a whole generation of trust fund babies come through in the last few years (mostly making dull, talentless imitations of Dilla) who really gone in on the whole authenticity vibe... them and their (parents) money are probably one of the main reasons vintage hip hop gear has gone up so much in the same time frame. As much as their ever expanding studios and discogs originals are adding authenticity, you can't buy talent it would seem.

Rock, I agree with you 100%, but my comment was not related to this. Maybe I didn't made myself understanble enough.

I'm all in with hustling with whatever you have, but if you want to rock vintage samplers and you spend mad money for them, better do it all the way and get yourself the right equipment for the task. I can't stand dudes possing in their home studios with 5 different MPCs and a couple of vintage synths, just to run them through a set of KRKs. It's like sporting a Ferrari with 13" wheels on it.

Like already stated in this thread, all great rap albums were mixed in large studios, usually by very talented individuals. Not in the same dodgy bedroom the related beats were made. The greatest example of this is 36 Chambers and the role of Carlos Bess as the sound engineer. The same still applies: you cannot simply recreate that sound by getting yourself just an s950, you still need a lot other equipment alongside - if you are planning to do everything by yourself. This is what most people don't understand in this age of one-man armies. We don't lack any flavor, only the correct tools & process to bring that flavor up.

That and the fact that somebody who has a dedicated full time job of mixing and mastering is going to know how to use everything in that studio. What many are trying to do these days is single-handedly play the role of multiple full-time professionals. It's kind of unrealistic.

Honestly, I hear most people's beats these days and it sounds good enough to me. Maybe it's not the same as a properly mixed and mastered record but it doesn't matter half as much as the raw input. That's what I trip out on the most.

• Like 1

Kebzer - yep, I went off at a tangent there! I don't like when hip hop production gets too expensive or elitist but I 100% know what you mean about bizarre budget mismatches. The only thing I would say I've realised in more recent years is that producers successful enough to have all their stuff professionally mastered are very often less fussed about fine tuning and tweaking out the last few degrees audio quality. Simply put, they've got somebody else for that job and prefer to focus as much of their energy as possible on the creative side. One possible explanation for cheap monitors, etc?

Dan - you're the essence of everything I love about this shit. Talent over technology!

Are there any limited edition gold samplers for the wealthy middle class hipsters to get?

Unfortunately not ,but there are plenty of individuals out there who would try to make you believe otherwise...just call Rolands customer service department when your sampler packs in working while its still under guarantee and you'll know what Im talking about .

Simply put, they've got somebody else for that job and prefer to focus as much of their energy as possible on the creative side.

I've said it before but I'm convinced that's how the majority of big name classic hip hop producers operate.

Yeah, I think that anybody who's come up more recently is likely to have at least started out trying to mix & master their own stuff. But anybody from the 90s or early noughties, forget about it. Their options were straight to cassette, DAT or HD porta studio, mostly for demos or very early relases, or their stuff was released on a label with a pro sound engineer doing it for them.

http://djjs1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/dj-js-1-demolition-mix.html

Track list, to save you having to read white on black:

1-demolition intro
2-slow n low (unreleased demo) - run dmc
3-touchdown (demo) - snoop dogg
4-slaves - cenubites
5-untitled (unreleased demo 1996) - t la rock n react
6-queen bitch (reference trk original) - biggie
7-capital r.a.s. - ras kass
8-i wanna be president - channel live
9-untitled - grand puba
10-raise it up - large pro (main source)
11-chillin' w marley marl promo - mc lyte
12-1 flip styles - sadat x, grand puba, diamond d
13-open mic - eminem
14-remain anonymous - ras kass
15-untitled - grand puba
16-get live (unreleased demo) - rahzel n organized konfusion
17-props over here (original demo) - the beatnuts
18-give up the goods (original demo) - mobb deep
19-come on - sadat x n biggie
20-untitled (go queensbridge) - tragedy
21-check a bitch - kool g rap
22-unofficial mahogany 2? (unreleased demo) - rakim
23-getz funky - ESP (tha alkaholiks)
24-you got dat - edo g
25-time - large pro (main source)
26-don't ask for money - grand daddy iu
27-peace prosperity n paper - a tribe called quest
28-poor young dave - snoop doog
29-backstabber - eminem
30-how ya livin' - brand nubians
31-like this - freddie foxxx (bumpy knuckles)
32-keep ya mouth shut - lord finesse
33-cool n calm - pete rock n cl smooth
34-step into the ozone (demo) - oc
35-to each his own - showbiz n ag
36-enter the dragon - kool g rap
37-midnight wrecka - pete rock n cl smooth
38-survival of the fittest - mobb deep
39-nas will prevail - nas
40-international arrival - organized konfusion
41-it's gettin' hectic (unreleased from return of the boom bap lp)
- krs-one n dj premier
42-represent (original demo) - nas n dj premier
43-machine gun funk (premier remix) - biggie n dj premier
44-i'm not superman - gangstarr
45-hard to kill (original demo) - showbiz n ag
46-it gets no better - casual n pep luv
47-welcome to the grooveyard (demo) - ESP (tha alkaholiks)
48-scenario (unreleased demo) - the beastie boys
49-three little pigs - dmx
50-everythings cool (demo) - rakim
51-coyote - jungle brothers
52-flip dat shit - naughty by nature n onyx n biggie
53-georgie porgie - a tribe called quest n brand nubians
54-bootleggin' - large pro (main source)
55-word to the wise - del
56-fat for the 90's (demo) - lord finesse n ag
57-props (unreleased) - 3rd bass n brand new heavies
58-untitled (freestyle demo) - special ed
59-i'm convinced - showbiz n ag
60-biggie got the hype shit (demo) - biggie
61-take it back to brooklyn (demo) - ole dirty bastard
62-untitled - nas
63-principal of the new school - big l
64-can you feel it - casual
65-bust a lil somethin' - lord finesse
66-i declare war - kool g rap
67-stunt of the block - super kids (tragedy)
68-county blues (freestyle demo) - snoop dogg
69-call me conceited - edo g
70-who stole the clipprs (1991) - common sense
71-scenario (cypher demo) - atcq, lons, de la soul, blacksheep
72-the mighty one - do it all (lords of the undergound)
73-it ain't where ya from - king sun
74-9mm rhymes - kurious
75-rasta imposter (freestyle) - ll cool j
76-"a" for effort - common sense
77-bring the rock - new style (naughty by nature)
78-it's my thing - grand puba
79-just another day in the projects - nas
80-rampage (unreleased freestyle demo) - ll cool j n epmd
81-d nice rocks (call me d nice demo) - d nice
82-cooling one day - organized konfusion
83-check the fine print - the artifacts
84-ice cream man - method man
85-unstoppable force - dmx
86-scuffin' those knees - the new style (naughty by nature)
87-mind ova matter - organized konfusion
88-caliente (demo version) - cypress hill
89-hypnotic (unreleased demo) - rakim
90-biterphobia - eminem
91-raw (remix demo) - big daddy kane n kool g rap
  • Like 1

Simply put, they've got somebody else for that job and prefer to focus as much of their energy as possible on the creative side.

I've said it before but I'm convinced that's how the majority of big name classic hip hop producers operate.

Yeah, I think that anybody who's come up more recently is likely to have at least started out trying to mix & master their own stuff. But anybody from the 90s or early noughties, forget about it. Their options were straight to cassette, DAT or HD porta studio, mostly for demos or very early relases, or their stuff was released on a label with a pro sound engineer doing it for them.

Yeah, listen to Wu-Tang's demo. Production quality is not all that great.