SP1200 fetish nerdgasm (salute)

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

Ha! I just realised that I absolutely DID know about that because Rock Well had told me but in my nose dive into 12-bit land I'd totally forgotten which of the numerous samplers I'd been nerding over he had been talking about

The second SP we used to own with my crewsboys now has a Flash drive on it. It's not an urban legend :-)

I also *still* own the ultra-rare Spyrus SCSI flash drive that is compatible with virtually any sampler that features a SCSI port, including the s950. I might have sold practically all my samplers but this drive will never leave my house, lol!

Guest petesasqwax

The second SP we used to own with my crewsboys now has a Flash drive on it. It's not an urban legend :-)

This is the kind of stuff that I imagine the deep web is for ;)

Guest petesasqwax

When we discussing my general reluctance to use reverb I obviously didn't include spring

I have one of these:

Which I'm very tempted to do this to:
  • Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

HAHA! You're referring to the infamous-as-soon-as-I-said-it "reverb is meat" analogy? (where the fuck is the crying with laughter face when you need it?)

That Gabriel Roth piece is absolutely 100% on point!

It's the same with vintage samplers. I cannot express enough my frustration when I see people rocking MPC3ks with M-Audio monitors or trying to record SPs on 300€ Focusrite soundcards...I mean, seriously dude??? You just spent 3 grands to get an SP only to be able to record half of it???

I always tell people that buying a vintage sampler is not enough. You also need the rest of the audio chain, and usually that alone costs more than the sampler...

EDIT: Now that I think of it, the real reason I sold my groove boxes was the immense cost of keeping up the rest of my home studio running, so I could enjoy them in all their glory. I had to spend so much money on outboards, cables, service fees etc. that I eventually couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

Edited by kebzer

Guest petesasqwax

Kebz - I can see where you're coming from as regards audio interfaces and cables, but audio interfaces have come on an immeasurable amount in the last few decades. If you go through something like a nice pre-amp (like a Golden Age Pre-73) into most half-decent sound cards I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference, especially once you've started processing the sound of the sampler through a DAW etc.

Joe - I've used my Spring King in exactly that method and I've had experience of a mate using a reel-to-reel as an echo/delay (but alas I couldn't do it myself as my reel-to-reel is fucked). Sy would be a better source of first hand info on that one, though. As for the other things Gabe talks about - absolutely. The man is a fucking god! :)

• Like 1

Kebzer - hear what you're saying with all the high quality gear to go with the SP, but it's sailing too close to my pet hate... The gentrification of hip hop.

The thing is with hip hop, what I personally like most is how it began with poor people who couldn't afford all the expensive gear everybody else was using to make music. So they used what they could lay their hands on (old record players and the family record collection) and their own creativity to make their own thing. Of course different eras have been and gone since, but I think there's always that thread running through hip hop where people with very little material stuff have made whatever they had around them work, wether that's decks and old records in the Bronx back in the day or even something like that little prick Souljah Boy making a hit record with a worthless old computer and a crack of Fruity Loops. As soon as hip hop becomes something you have to be rich to do, I'm out.

I'd level the same gripe towards record collector wallys who say you can only sample off the original issue 45 and stuff like that. When I read about the Beatminerz sampling off cassettes cos they couldn't afford the records, that's hip hop, not some middle class twat buying £500 records on discogs. In fact there has been a whole generation of trust fund babies come through in the last few years (mostly making dull, talentless imitations of Dilla) who really gone in on the whole authenticity vibe... them and their (parents) money are probably one of the main reasons vintage hip hop gear has gone up so much in the same time frame. As much as their ever expanding studios and discogs originals are adding authenticity, you can't buy talent it would seem.

• Like 3

Joe - I've used my Spring King in exactly that method and I've had experience of a mate using a reel-to-reel as an echo/delay (but alas I couldn't do it myself as my reel-to-reel is fucked). Sy would be a better source of first hand info on that one, though. As for the other things Gabe talks about - absolutely. The man is a fucking god! :)

Nice one man. Thanks for that!

My mate gave me his old Mackie 1402 desk, in exchange for a couple of pints, so I need to get busy with that as well.

Kebzer - hear what you're saying with all the high quality gear to go with the SP, but it's sailing too close to my pet hate... The gentrification of hip hop.

The thing is with hip hop, what I personally like most is how it began with poor people who couldn't afford all the expensive gear everybody else was using to make music. So they used what they could lay their hands on (old record players and mum and the family record collection) and their own creativity to make their own thing. Of course different eras have been and gone since, but I think there's always that thread running through hip hop where people with very little material stuff have made whatever they had around them work, wether that's decks and old records in the Bronx back in the day or even something like that little prick Souljah Boy making a hit record with a worthless old computer and a crack of Fruity Loops. As soon as hip hop becomes something you have to be rich to do, I'm out.

I'd level the same gripe towards record collector wallys who say you can only sample off the original issue 45 and stuff like that. When I read about the Beatminerz sampling off cassettes cos they couldn't afford the records, that's hip hop, not some middle class twat buying £500 records on discogs. In fact there has been a whole generation of trust fund babies come through in the last few years (mostly making dull, talentless imitations of Dilla) who really gone in on the whole authenticity vibe... them and their (parents) money are probably one of the main reasons vintage hip hop gear has gone up so much in the same time frame. As much as their ever expanding studios and discogs originals are adding authenticity, you can't buy talent it would seem.

This a million times, lot of people worrying about fuck all

The thing is with hip hop, what I personally like most is how it began with poor people who couldn't afford all the expensive gear everybody else was using to make music. So they used what they could lay their hands on (old record players and the family record collection) and their own creativity to make their own thing. Of course different eras have been and gone since, but I think there's always that thread running through hip hop where people with very little material stuff have made whatever they had around them work, wether that's decks and old records in the Bronx back in the day or even something like that little prick Souljah Boy making a hit record with a worthless old computer and a crack of Fruity Loops. As soon as hip hop becomes something you have to be rich to do, I'm out.

Rock, I agree with you 100%, but my comment was not related to this. Maybe I didn't made myself understanble enough.

I'm all in with hustling with whatever you have, but if you want to rock vintage samplers and you spend mad money for them, better do it all the way and get yourself the right equipment for the task. I can't stand dudes possing in their home studios with 5 different MPCs and a couple of vintage synths, just to run them through a set of KRKs. It's like sporting a Ferrari with 13" wheels on it.

Like already stated in this thread, all great rap albums were mixed in large studios, usually by very talented individuals. Not in the same dodgy bedroom the related beats were made. The greatest example of this is 36 Chambers and the role of Carlos Bess as the sound engineer. The same still applies: you cannot simply recreate that sound by getting yourself just an s950, you still need a lot other equipment alongside - if you are planning to do everything by yourself. This is what most people don't understand in this age of one-man armies. We don't lack any flavor, only the correct tools & process to bring that flavor up.