New standalone MPCs

Dan

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

bit of luck we should get a flood of 1000s and 2000s on Ebay though hahaha

Hopefully the same thing will happen again like when the Ren dropped, maybe I might cop a cheap 1000 and 2500 as donor machines for the future haha (I can imagine Rocky shaking his head and muttering "It's 2017, get your damn head in the game and get a real maschine") :((

Matt - that JJ OS totally blew my mind on the 1000. It turned it into a 2500, pretty much - grid edit and all of that good shit!

Yeah love the grid edit Pete I can spend all day mashing drum patterns out without getting bored of that screen. :$

Guest petesasqwax

Jesus dogfisting Christmas

The name of my new pr0nhub upload and subsequent band name, should the aforementioned video blow up...

I believe I have found my true calling

• Like 1

Psyche - I'm really not as militant as that, I promise! In fact I strongly believe you should use whatever you like and makes you happy for music making.

In some ways I have constant 'hardware sampler blue balls' because that's the era I came up in and I always want an MPC (or 4), but in reality I don't think I could ever go back from software now I'm used to its pros and have learnt how to work round it's cons.

• Like 3

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Psyche - I'm really not as militant as that, I promise! In fact I strongly believe you should use whatever you like and makes you happy for music making.

In some ways I have constant 'hardware sampler blue balls' because that's the era I came up in and I always want an MPC (or 4), but in reality I don't think I could ever go back from software now I'm used to its pros and have learnt how to work round it's cons.

:(( :(( Just busting your balls mate, I'm always really impressed by what you software guys get up to production wise (To be honest 9th Wonder nearly convinced me to get a maschine, Shhhh just don't tale the MPC community) Likewise I don't think I could ever go to software only and leave JJOS behind, I'm used to its pros, got my workflow down to a tee and have learnt how to work round it's cons. My 1000 & 2500 is all I need :wub:

Just ask if you If you ever want to borrow a MPC, even if it's just for nostalgic purpose, I can lend you one mate :8

Learn to play them both at them same time and I'll be impressed

Dan if you can do both at the same time while downing a yard of ale, I would be super impressed :)

• Like 1

The MPC live can be battery powered, that's interesting....

On size/portability alone, that's the one that interests me. Throw in the price and battery power as sweeteners and I'm curious. I do really like the idea of using a computer when I want and not when I don't, all on the same device.

Fuck the mpcs of today, man. The 1000 and 2500 are cool units, love my 2500, but their quality is fucking lacking and those were probably the last models that had any relevence as standalone production centers. The jjos helped a little but the quantum leap ableton has made recent years really devalues the olders mpcs.

Considering ableton and maschine can do the same as these new machines and more for compararable prices or lower, the mpc's of today just come across to me as out of touch and with no charm.

• Like 1

Is ableton the standard now for most of you when it comes to production?

I'm still using CoolEditPro. LOL. It does what it does but my Windows XP laptop will one day die and with it my sound editor and multi-track sequencer. What I do now is chop sounds in Cool Edit, save them as wav files, and then load them into the MPC2000XL with and SD card. Seems to work okay and I like working in the MPC about 1000 times more than my computer.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was gonna ask what people here use on the regular for production. Figure it's Ableton, given that it's solid and intuitive, plus pretty much the industry standard now.

I was using CoolEditPro too, as well as Acid back in the day, which both accomplished my goals very well. I didn't need much though, just basic effects and multitracking abilities. I use Audacity for chopping 'cause it's mad quick and simple, then would move wav files to my former MPC. On that note, I'm looking for a Maschine MK2 and Ableton, in that order. I had Maschine awhile back, but could never retrieve the key, so it was useless. Live and learn.

Fuck the mpcs of today, man. The 1000 and 2500 are cool units, love my 2500, but their quality is fucking lacking and those were probably the last models that had any relevence as standalone production centers. The jjos helped a little but the quantum leap ableton has made recent years really devalues the olders mpcs.

Considering ableton and maschine can do the same as these new machines and more for compararable prices or lower, the mpc's of today just come across to me as out of touch and with no charm.

Thanks.

Is ableton the standard now for most of you when it comes to production?

I'm still using CoolEditPro. LOL. It does what it does but my Windows XP laptop will one day die and with it my sound editor and multi-track sequencer. What I do now is chop sounds in Cool Edit, save them as wav files, and then load them into the MPC2000XL with and SD card. Seems to work okay and I like working in the MPC about 1000 times more than my computer.

I use Reaper to record and transfer the file to my 2500's compact flash card. So fucking lovely, and bypasses the sloooow saving speeds.

I don't think there's a golden standard for production, ableton is painfully slow to use if not used with loops or music you can seperate into smaller chunks. Seeing that I mainly sample and scratch but wanted to expand into some synth stuff, ableton grew on me substantially the last year. I've been using the lite version that came with my soundcard and i recently jumped into the pool and bought the suite because it's so good for my type of music making.

I've used an MPC (first the 1000, and then the 2500) for beatmaking since I started, I use my 2500 for a lot of my production, and I definitely understand where your coming from and had this been last year I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. The workflow of MPCs are unmatched, and my dabbling with ableton actually started just because I wanted to control some free VSTs from the MPC and I got a free copy with my soundcard. After a while I started transitioning into Ableton since I already sampled stuff into the PC to use with Traktor, so it was more of an ergonomic move than a really necessary one. Although, all it essentially does is me not having to transfer files to the compact flash card from my mac, which takes like 2 seconds with modern card readers. So as for my comment about devaluing the old MPCs... a little overboard since the card reader option is so good in helping their workflow and relevancy.

Personally, I wouldn't advise anyone change from their current MPCs to Ableton, really. If your setup works, it works, no need to change. But the recently released MPCs just didn't understand the appeal of an MPC, in my opinion at least, and these just seem to cram more shit into it and somehow feel more soulless than ever before.

• Like 1

Reaper blows away Ableton for production if you bother to learn it (Pisses a lot of people off)

It has way better editing tools and a vast selection of stretching algos, also you can change pitch and tempo using just resampling on the timeline (Pretty rare)

It is pretty much the Acid of the modern world and the only thing it doesn't offer is the paintbrush, but that had to go because where Acid had one track per sample, Reaper has no track paradigm, so a track can hold any audio or MIDI all at the same time.

If you learn Reaper there is really nothing around right now that can compare to it on a feature per feature basis, and it is not too expensive either really.

Still Studio oNe is absolutely amazing, best thing ever made, it cant be beat, its totally awesome, by the way, I have a studio one pro 3 for sale if anybody is interested hahahaha

Guest petesasqwax

ableton is painfully slow to use if not used with loops or music you can seperate into smaller chunks. Seeing that I mainly sample and scratch but wanted to expand into some synth stuff, ableton grew on me substantially the last year. I've been using the lite version that came with my soundcard and i recently jumped into the pool and bought the suite because it's so good for my type of music making.

I'm intrigued why you think Ableton is slow, man. I've no interest in using loops and use Ableton in a variety of ways - from soft synths and virtual drum machine samplers (i.e. Battery) to hardware effects and analogue synths - I've never encountered a faster workflow in anything I've ever used.

• Like 1

Reaper blows away Ableton for production if you bother to learn it (Pisses a lot of people off)

It has way better editing tools and a vast selection of stretching algos, also you can change pitch and tempo using just resampling on the timeline (Pretty rare)

It is pretty much the Acid of the modern world and the only thing it doesn't offer is the paintbrush, but that had to go because where Acid had one track per sample, Reaper has no track paradigm, so a track can hold any audio or MIDI all at the same time.

If you learn Reaper there is really nothing around right now that can compare to it on a feature per feature basis, and it is not too expensive either really.

Still Studio oNe is absolutely amazing, best thing ever made, it cant be beat, its totally awesome, by the way, I have a studio one pro 3 for sale if anybody is interested hahahaha

Okay, I'm familiar with Acid. You could alter the key and tempo of samples in Acid pretty easily and whatnot. If I wanted to drop something to G# I could do that really easy. I used to mess around with that a lot way back when because all I understood was matching tempos and didn't really understand harmonic mixing. Now my default practice is usually to try to pitch the sound where I want it right off the vinyl and avoid any digital processing at all, but I admit it's a time sucker.

I don't remember the paintbrush in Acid. What did that do?

It is hard to explain the paintbrush, it painted in place, if you used it it was a dream come true, if you didn't, you wont miss it.

Double click an audio item in Reaper, it has key and stretch options all there, i doubt very much if you can tell the difference between pitched in Reaper vs pitched on a turntable when you use resampling in Reaper, digital is not what it used to be.

• Like 2

Some good points here from everyone..

Ive heard a lot of good things about Reaper and the same goes for Ableton which ive used very breifly a couple of months ago but for me personally working with a mouse and a computer drives me up the wall and i'd rather spend the cash I would have to invest on hardware tbh

Using an Sp 404 suits me just fine.. the only drawback is the lack of pitch adjusting abilities but that will be sorted once i pick up my S2000 rackmount sampler that Alecs has kindly given me and ive also found someone who knows what the fuck they're doing whos going to have a look at fixing up my SP 808 EX

Occasionally people say to me I should get with the times and buy an all singing and dancing modern day music making setup but quite frankly i dont want to

because i like to work with samplers,keyboards and old 4 track tape machines,guitar fx pedals and turntables etc

For me its the man not the machine thats most important because at the end of the day its what the individual puts into it anyway and ive seen some of the amazing setups people have in articles and stuff but the majority of these artist couldn't write a note to the fucking milkman in my opinion

Even someone like DJ Shadow ditching the MPC has shown me not to go down that route because quite honestly i think his last few albums without the MPC have been a mess..the latest one especially just sounds like a long bad advert for Ableton to my ears..

Each to his own and all that but as Rock Well said use whatever makes you happy to make music with..

I think the MPC X is a great bit of kit from what ive seen so far from the demos ive watched and personally i would love to own one

Guest petesasqwax

The Shadow thing is an interesting one. I can understand that people construe his recent music as being as a result of him switching to Ableton, but, as I'm sure you appreciate, it's entirely possible to make whatever style of beats you want in more or less any production environment you choose to use. The bottom line is: I think he's just making what he likes to hear, which, whilst being far removed from his earlier stuff, is undoubtedly what he's always done, really.

I had a conversation with Rob Squire about why he no longer made Sixtoo music and how much his music had changed etc. He was always one of my favourite producers and him stopping making music in that style always gutted me a bit. In the back of my mind I always hoped that he would change his mind and make more Sixtoo stuff, but I finally understood and accepted that it was probably never going to happen and that, if that was the case, it was ultimately probably a really good thing. The thing was - he made Sixtoo stuff because he was pretty down and depressed much of the time. The music is sombre, dark and gritty - which was a reflection of his mood and his mental state at the time. He doesn't feel like that any more, he just wants to make upbeat stuff that he can play at parties - learning that this was the case, whilst the music he does now is entirely not to my taste, I hope he never does make Sixtoo ever again because I would rather him stay happy :)

• Like 3