FutureMusic: Roland To Release New DJ Gear On Sept 9th

So I'm reading about Roland buying headphone company V-Moda in FutureMusic and this little line pops up:

For fans of the AIRA vibe, Roland will be making new product announcements on September 9, 2016 (909 Day) – stay tuned.

FM gives a nice breakdown of how Roland turned a blind eye to the 303 and 909 when they became much sought after gear...until they launched the AIRA division. If you don't know the history, it's a great way to get up to speed. But someone mentioned that there may be some DJ gear released under the AIRA name. I think it will probably be more of those Boutique synth "toys" -- but could Roland surprise us?

Read the article:

Roland to make new product announcements on September 9, 2016 (909 Day)

Sp909 their new sampler, been looking forward to it for a while

Whoa there...! Is this really gonna happen ??

I could be very interested if the price of these is not going to be outrageous ..

Someone needs to phone Mr K

right now ! ;)

Sp909 their new sampler, been looking forward to it for a while

Whoa there...! Is this really gonna happen ??

I could be very interested if the price of these is not going to be outrageous ..

Someone needs to phone Mr K

right now ! ;)

Just guess work Dan, i saw a prototype of a sampler a good while back but it had no numbering, it looked to be designed to go head to head with the Electribes and bring Roland their Groovebox crown back (Built in synths, melodic and drum) but then it disappeared, so i am hoping more than anything else hahaha

Is like to see Roland make some samplers again, they had some definite high points and there's a gap in that market right IMO.

What they shouldn't do is keep on bringing out 'new' DSP based synths and drum machines that they swear are just like the real thing (they aren't) and that are much better than last year's similar take on the same thing (they might be, I'm not really interested) and actually try making some real analogue stuff again. Seriously, I know there's much fun to be had playing with Aria's and the like because they are hardware, but I watched a YouTube comparison between the Aria 808 emulation and the real thing and I could clearly hear the difference... on a YouTube vid... on my fucking laptop speakers!

To be fair, if i did a comparison of two different 808s you would hear the difference, every one i have owned sounds slightly unique, the TR8 is just exactly the same for each one, and while that may not be great for you or me, for the average Trap producer they are a piece of dream kit, I have to be honest though, after using one with the mixer, i was kind of like "Yeah this is something i will own at some point" but it is the mixer that sets it right off.

As for Roland samplers, I literally can't even come up with one that they made that was bad, OK quick disk was a tumour on reality that should never have happened, but besides that.

I realise they all sound a bit different and if they didn't when new, they certainly will by now!

For me there's something about some old analogue sounds that never quite translates to modern reproduction. Like I've got an old SH-1000 and it sounds brilliantly awful, but I just know that if it was ever emulated it would sound just plain awful.

The 808 though I have a particular bugbear with - I've got many different versions of 808 sounds from varying sources and they all just sound bright, harsh and kind of nasty. The highs hurt my ears and kicks don't sound like they have the body I expected. It's like everybody feels the need to try and 'modernise' these classic sounds. On the other side of the coin, I bought Harry Love's drum machine sound pack which is just classic machines recorded in through a good analogue desk and otherwise left alone. The 808 kit in there is a revelation... hi hats and snares that sound crisp but never ear bleeding, the sort of highs that I always think of as sounding 'painted on'. And yes, I know that makes no sense to anyone but me!

The only analogue i have left is my MIDIbox SIDs that i built myself, and an EDP Wasp that i want to get rid of, I just prefer software more than anything else, but i think that is because i was a child of sampler, not a child of synth, so a sampled synth sounds better than a synth to me, i like nasty, i like aliasing, sad i know, but hey.

• Like 1

If only Roland would do a new version of the Jupiter 4...

i'd be first in the queue thats for sure ,ive had some very cool Roland synths over the years

SH 101,Juno 6 and 106 etc and ive also owned an original RE 201 Space Echo that I only paid about £70 for at the time (mid 80s)but like a dick i sold it and bought an Alesis Quadraverb to replace it lol (if only id known how collectible this stuff would become )...but the Jupiter 4 was the one ive always wanted,my mate had one in the late 80s but he wouldnt sell it to me unfortunately

in fact I think he still has it so you never know hehe

If only Roland would do a new version of the Jupiter 4...

i'd be first in the queue thats for sure ,ive had some very cool Roland synths over the years

SH 101,Juno 6 and 106 etc and ive also owned an original RE 201 Space Echo that I only paid about £70 for at the time (mid 80s)but like a dick i sold it and bought an Alesis Quadraverb to replace it lol (if only id known how collectible this stuff would become )...but the Jupiter 4 was the one ive always wanted,my mate had one in the late 80s but he wouldnt sell it to me unfortunately

in fact I think he still has it so you never know hehe

A fine choice indeed Dan, that's my holy grail synth!

• Like 1

When i was about 18 years old there was a second hand instruments shop near to where I lived at the time and there always seemed to be something in there by Roland going cheaply ,

i think i got the Juno 6 there that i mentioned earlier for about £150

But the thing that i remember most about the place was when they were closing the store down around 86 /87 ish and my mate George buying a TB 303 and the Drumatix rhythm box for £60 for the pair and me laughing outrageously and calling him a retard for basically throwing his money down the drain

Actually recalling this i said something like "what the fuck are you doing George ,those are fucking toy instruments you twat"

Oh the shame...