PDX-2000 MIDI In Mod

I have been working on a little project for the PDX-2000. It’s eventually going to be a MIDI In like on the PDX-3000. My biggest issue was to get the turntable to change the pitch externally but that is now working. If you check the video below you can see that it is controlled by a microcontroller. Bear in mind that its not pitched correctly. The pitch just drops in steps from +50 to -50 with no regard to scales yet. This was just the first test.
It’s just to add a midi-in and a lot of programming left now.

Does someone else want this mod you think? If so Im going to make a little kit with instructions so people can install it themselves. Its basically gonna be a small circuit board with a MIDI connector you can put on the backplate (like it is on the 3000).

Price should be around 50-60 quid I think.

What do you all think about it?

https://vimeo.com/60034787

• Like 3

Also is there something specific about the PDX-2000 that makes midi in possible like this, or is it possible with like a Str8-150?

Its possible but I don't have a Str-8 to check how too hook it up. Probably need to tweek some code also. A future project if there is interest maybe.

Nice that there is interest in this mod. I'll try to simplify the mod as much as possible so installation wont be a total bitch. As of now there is 5 cables that need to be soldered in. Big solder points so no biggie if you are not a total newbie to electronics. I´ll explain how it all works later on.

Backtrack, that's amazing!

I think you'd have quite a lot of interest from others too - the value and availability differences between 2000s and 3000s make no sense right now.

^^ exactly. Been eying up a 3000 for ages but their pretty expensive if your just looking for midi capability. I;d prob lok to pick up a 2000 if this was available.

Is the connection going to USB or old school midi 5 pin ?

Is the connection going to USB or old school midi 5 pin ?

MIDI 5pin. USB could work but I wonder how compatible it will be with different keyboards. MIDI is the better for that reason i think. But I will look into it cause there are some nice small keyboards that would be perfect.

ive got 2300's but i dont know how different their boards are...

Well... It should work(99.5% sure). The 2000 board just don't have the other stuff installed as you can see on the picture.

how does this work?

i was thinking about how this could be done on a numark ttx (i'll probaly never find the free time to do this though). the simple way would be a digital potentiometer controled by an arduino. connected thus

pitch pot--->arduino--->digipot--->turntable pcb.

with the arduino in the middle it would be possible to add midi in either as midi note on messages or control changes.

it would also be possible to quantize the pitch pot into steps corresponding to notes.

is that what youre doing or are you using something specific to the pdx?

is that an arduino mega?

if you use an arduino leonardo or a teensy usb board then you can add usb midi quite easily.

60 euro seems like a good price though, since apart from the parts cost you've got a lot of other costs like pcb production, and general logistics to take care of. not to mention support.

nice work!

Yea! That is almost how it works. I don't read the pitch. I switch in between.The resolution on the digipot would not be sufficient for normal pitch use.
Its a chipKit 32 board. Gonna program a AVR in the end.
I haven't checked USB yet. I don't know if its a standard transfer protocol for midi or if it differs. To make it on a dev board for one controller is one thing but will it work for all usb midi controllers? I don't know. Ill hook up some usb units when i have time and look at the signal.

I got the MIDI in to work now. I tried with USB also but it didn't work very well.

I don't have time to experiment with USB right now cause of school and everything so its just gonna be MIDI. I'm happy with that.

+-50% gives you C0-G1 (20 notes) C1 is 0%.

Here is a vid I made trying it out.

Gonna make the pcb and everything now. I´ll ask later on who wants one so I know how many I should make.

• Like 3

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Man, not only are you nice on the cut you're a fucking genius, mate!

I'm interested in getting one, depending on how easy it is to fit. Fuck it, actually, i'm interested even if it's a pain in the arse to fit.

Are you going to do a video guide or something which tells you how to fit it?

Count me in as someone who wants one.

Are you going to do a video guide or something which tells you how to fit it?

Yea. It would be cruel to not. I can help out on skype if anyone needs also but its not that hard to install i think

I'm just gonna make a couple of units for the people here who wants it.