Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

Yeah, I got to take a good look at it. The new Traktor 2.6 is a pretty big step up as well with post fader effects and the ability to edit the default mappings of NI gear without having to drop out of NHL and go into basic MIDI.

Just to confirm, though, the upfaders are stiffer than the cross. Not Pioneer stiff but less buttery than the cross.

wow! its a shame i detest NI otherwise i may be interested in that.

also i happen to love my mixer already, not sure if i've ever mentioned it.

i think its good NI have done this tho. Im happy for the hastings boys and steve if no one else.

The DJM-T1 was weird. It's really well built and has lots of useful features, but was ridiculously expensive and the faders are essentially modelled after the 4 channel DJMs (it's a different fader, but the feel is very similar for both up and cross faders) rather than being scratch friendly. It is a good mixer, especially for £569, but the upfaders definitely spoil it somewhat.

Great news on the fader-swapping - even if I couldn't, I was still gonna get one for the things it can do but it's nice to know that my £600+ will last a bit longer.

As for the DJM-T1, apart from the faders, the lack of post fader FX, lack of FX loop and the fact it sparkles, it's biggest problem was when it came out for £1200!

I'm torn, BPM Saturday I was in love the Z2, but after day 2 I couldn't make up my mind.

I'm shocked at how amazing the xfade feels, you seriously couldn't tell that it wasn't a full on innofade pro.

The work flow and traktor features are minimal but heavily performance orientated. I love the clutter free layout. IMO this is where NI shine on all there hardware, despite some heavy weight features the learning curve on NI hardware is pretty minimal compared to other similar gear.

The single super fx knob and new macro fx do plenty in terms of replacing the need for a dedicated fx controller like the X1. They've basically hijacked the midi fighter super knob theory.

Post fade fx option was a serious must, this isn't just a biggie for those who mix internally, it also means you can still have post fade fx while also being able to assign fx to individual sample slots rather than the whole remix deck.

Negatives

PLASTIC POTS! What a huge let down but no real surprise, £700 ish quid for a mixer and in less than two years the heavily used pots, Bass, Filter and Fx will feel the same as the pots on my sold X1, shit! Personally I'd happily pay more for metal pots but NI know full well most of there customers would rather pay less because thats the nature of the 3 year shelf life cycle we currently live in.

Stoopid gloss fingerprint magnet finish, at the end of sunday the Z2 looked like someone had been eating fish & chips of it, but worse still was it took only two days of BPM usage for the white paint marking's around fade to rub off.

Impossible to sample ya self cutting, the Z2 controls tractor DVS only via (anti post fade sampling) internal mode, meaning my long wait for an improved loop recorder experience continues. Maybe there just waiting for cross product integration and Maschine will take charge of live sampling duties, I say this because the loop recorder has been well and truly left behind in terms of updates since early versions of T2.

Stiff line fades, seriously can some one tell me which main stream gear had stiff line fades 5 - 6 years back? Why in recent times do more and more manufacturers keep nursing mixing dj's in to thinking they can't control a free flowing line fader? As Chriss points out the Z2 line fades aren't the worst/stiffest but its a total waste of innofaders. Basically it's a two channel mixer you can scratch on rather than an actual scratch mixer.

Most intrigueing

Having the Z2 operate Traktors internal mixer does seem like an odd/interesting/pointless move when you consider it is also is real mixer too. If compared with other DVS mixers It's a completely new way of thinking and there must be a proper reason why NI went down this road. Potential foundation for Maschine integration is my guess, despite the Z2 being an actual hardware mixer and the S4/S2 are just controllers, all products work the same with Traktor making it much easier to roll out the same features across the range.

Overall I can swallow my hardware discrepancies for the price, in terms of features vs money it's in a league of it's own. Via midi I'll be able to get a euro scratch mode out of the line fades, it won't be long before 12inch skinz create a cover to hide the easy rub off paint and dum ass gloss finish. The potential of fitting full fat innofades is a plus, but the likely hood is you'd probably knacker the pots long before the fades warrant changing.

Happy to hear the DJM-T1 has been canned, Pioneer did implement the most important features of a scratch mixer, proper xfade and built like a tank. But super stiff line fades, no proper curve controls and not enough I / O to handle the loop recorder turned the T-1 in to a white elephant. BUT...... with Traktor 2.6 not needing a send and return buss for post fade fx I'm actually looking at the T-1 in different light. It may not be a proper scratch mixer but neither is the Z2...hmmm

Edited by Dubba Dutchdj
  • Like 1

Thanks for the impressions!

No worries, I'm proper torn and needed to vent. Like you I wish NI just made a version that wasn't so compromised to keep costs down.

Yep, your impressions left me just as torn as before too. lol. It's so close to being just what I need and that's the frustrating thing!

I didn't realise the centre panel was magnet too. There's definitely midi ways to bend traktor to add certain features like different curve settings for lines and post fade sampling. Despite my frustration I know I'm gonna end up getting a Z2, I couldn't have it as my only mixer, but having that level of software integration in between ya decks is something I've waited a long time for.

The german in the vid, Eric was who I asked about the pots, he was pretty sure they were metal but after a fair bit of effort to remove a cap, glorious chinese plastic was revealed. Kinda got a bit awkward then.

Paul, there's a mint DJM-T1 on eBay at the minute for 450 ;)

Up yours fuck face! you and me don't have ebay conversations no more.

Edited by Dubba Dutchdj