The end of Serato?

This was of course before they got *paid* to switch to Traktor... sooooo... like I said above about A-Track--using it because they prefer it or because they are paid to like it??? Everyone I've seen tho including DJs for hiphop acts durring SXSW were all using Serato (at least the ones I looked at were--probably some of the EDM DJs were not). I think NickNack has bought Traktor a couple years back but still uses both. He wanted it for the sound quality which is a sensible reason.

Did you miss the part where he's sponsored by Serato tho?

Traktor's all about the mapping potential. You just plain can't do what makes Traktor cool in a Serato product, so it wins by default if your use case revolves around it (if you use a generic controller you want to map to your own needs, for instance).

But why can't they have all of those features, but make it more user friendly for folks that just want to do "regular" DJing with it? That's how to grab market share from Rane IMO.

Or is it just an exaggeration that it's more of a ball ache to use than Serato if you just want to do the basics? I have read that quite a lot, but I don't know if it's just people regurgitating what they've read elsewhere without actually using both products and comparing them.

I really want to switch to Traktor for the FLAC support, but I don't want to regret it. That's all I'm saying basically.

There are things that are more of a ball ache to do in Traktor... But dvs is where the two are most similar - like I say, it's mapping potential that really sets the two apart.

Loop roll is an effect in Traktor so you need to set it up. It's not as good as serato's either IMO. The sample decks are better for using as a sampler in serato software too, but Traktor 2.5 will likely be better. As for coming from scratch live rather than itch, you'll likely think the effects in Traktor are better but they are trickier to set up initially.

Also to be brutally honest, scratch live has a better dvs system than Traktor in my book. Every now and again I have issues with Traktor time code, never with serato noisemap.

That's about it really, if you just want flac support you'll probably be fine with the switch after a weekend of playing and tweaking the setup. Couldn't you use the time to batch convert your flacs to alac though?

When I make a mix now I copy all of the songs I want to use to a folder then batch convert them to ALAC (solely because of Serato's lack of FLAC support), but I'm not switching from using FLAC to ALAC generally.

Yeah. Firstly, I have a lot of music that I would need to transcode and it's a pain in the arse. Secondly, I have devices that support FLAC, but not ALAC (my phone for instance). And thirdly, I have been trying to nudge people in the direction of FLAC for a few years because it's free, open source and it's easy to use on any popular OS (and Linux ;)) and I would like it if it was the next "MP3" (even though I highly doubt it ever will be).

Seems like you should try it, steve, just for the flac alone. Out of curiosity do u know if Ableton supports flac?

alac is free and open source too, and it supports tagging like mp3...flac was okay as an intermediary codec when we had slower internet but there aren't really any benefits to using it over alac other than that your phone supports it and you can technically go to a higher sample rate - but the supported rates are so far into pointless land that there's no practical application for even alac's top spec.

your phone not supporting alac is a pretty big nuisance, but if it were me I'd get a new phone and convert my flacs to alacs rather than buy traktor scratch to use flac. tagging is waaaay too much of a positive. i'm surprised there's no alac playback on your phone to be honest, is there not even a third party codec?

tagging is waaaay too much of a positive.

FLAC has always supported tagging. It also supports higher bitrates and has an adjustable level of compression, with level 8 compressing files to smaller sizes than ALAC. I'm definitely not transcoding all of my music to ALAC.

There's absolutely no practical application for the kind of sample rate even alac supports, never mind flac! I've not seen any difference in flac/alac sizes - not practical ones, anyway - in fact the few benchmarks I've looked at show alac to have better compression.

Your use case might well suit switching your entire setup to revolve around flac, if your phone playing them is really important to you - I guess that's the crux of your decision, whether you'd prefer your phone to play your media files or your DJ software?

In any case, I think that if you want to cut up digital files and not much else with a DVS you'll probably get along fine with Traktor Scratch - and possibly get on better with the audio interface too (are you on SL1 still? I forget. iirc the Windows drivers are better for the Audio 6 than the SL1).

I used a simple method of casual racism to decide which DJ software to buy...

If I wanted some good comedy or a nice backdrop for some Hobbits, I'd go with Kiwis over Germans all day. But when it comes to cutting edge music software, my money felt safer with the Germans... Vorsprung Durch Tecknik and all that.

The same methodology has kept me away from Ecler mixers for years

• 2 weeks later...

i got in this late and didnt want to read five pages, but i can say that the whole interface thing is just about what youre used to. the serato interface looks backwards to me; important information seems to be small and in odd places, and i cant stand not being able to see the wave of the entire track. if i cant look at the grooves of the record then i want to be able to see the wave well ahead into the track. if there is a setting that allows this i dont understand why no djs ive seen use serato utilize it and why it isnt a default. however, i accept that this is probably just because i didnt learn digital djing with serato. traktor makes sense to me and the UI seems logical and simple.

i did not know that the serato "box" couldnt operate as a sound card for your computer; that to me seems like a major dick move on their part.