Mad turntablist Inventions

djdj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike Reezy
Dentists in space pulling mini turntables out of shark's stomachs is a pretty crazy idea mate! No doubt a mad movie could be made for Phantaz.

I think of shit like that all day. Thats actually simple, my thoghts are far more complex.

And it was a halfsharkalligatorhalfman ala Dr. Octagon, whome Qbert DJ'd for, I always wondered is that the reason he calls himself Dr.Octo on that album? because of the oktagon?

the oktagon is the shit. I had mad fun there.

all of these are the #1 production models of each mixer, broken V.1 QFO also

that last pic is in the sound booth at the oktagon.

I dont know why I posted those pics, I just did.

Also, I don't see a huge difference between Wave Twisters and Phantaz, I don't understand why people put phantaz on a pedestal.  I understand what you're saying about the feeling of it Mike, but to me the horror steez is not a lot different to the goofy space steez of Wave Twisters.

steez.

Can you explain how Wave twisters has a 'goofy space' steeze? w/out making a reference to the video?

Hmm.. actually I only have it on video so I don't think I can.

Wave Twisters, Phantazmagorea and Scetchbook are all very different albums. I dunno why people even need to compare them and say which is the "best".

Scetchbook is best!

*edit: wow mike, you lucky bastard.

Sketchbook is pretty crap. Just stupidly overated. This is nowt to do with disliking Ricci niether. It's just a s simple as, it is extremely tight and I appreciate the fact it's scratched but the music is pretty wack. I can not understand why people go on about it being some musical work of genius. There is not one song on it which really makes me feel anything. There are a couple of ok songs but that's it. If it really was so musically brilliant you'd be able to play it to people who don't cut. And I don't mean people who are into music who don't cut and you are showing them what can be done with scratching. I mean just put it on while you are getting stoned, or with friends after you have been out or at a party or what ever. You couldn't. Id be told to turn it off. In comparison you can just chill with friends and listen to an album by shadow, or even RJD2 or someone like Quantic even. As far as electronic instrumental shit goes the british broken beat stuff like Bugz In The Atic and 4 Hero is fucking 10000000 times nicer.

It just fucks me off all this musical genius shite. Seriously think of the last time you went to see a decent live band who really made you feel nice inside watching them. Even if it's a mates band or what ever. Think of how their shit makes you feel and tell me Sketchbook makes you feel like that. Nooo way. It just doesn't. Anyone who says otherwise must be blinded by the fact that it's scratched.

Rant over

I disagree, I think it's great. At first it seems to have a kind of sterile, humourless vibe, and it does, but it's its own unique vibe that I really dig now. It gets better every time you listen to it. Even the songs that I used to hate I dig now. I think for the most part the Ricci Rucker tunes tower over the Mike Boo ones. The Ricci tunes all have at least one really strong idea going through them. I was listening to it last night. I used to hate that song emergency.com, but it's incredible!

And really what scratched music is our enjoyment of not influenced by the fact that it's scratched?

either way, matter of opinion innit?

Guest Mike Reezy
Hehe! BTW - Mike, how did you get to go to the Octagon? I bet that was a cool experience man. I'd be shaking if I tried to cut with Q standing next to me. I felt nervous the first time I cut on Skype with Dee! lol.

I like alot of tracks on Sketchbook and I they do make me feel something. It could be that because its sxratched tho, I dont really try to analyze it. To me its relaxing shit, except for "break your neck" I could sleep to the album. I know what youre syaing about people who dont kutt liking it not based off of the fact that it is made with tables.

I really only listen to hiphop and muzik made with turntables, unless Im being subjected to someone elses music selection. I mean, of course I like good old muzik, but to me its just some get up and dance shit. It doesnt inspire me.

I like Sketchbook because you could perform those songs live to people who hate rap muzik/hiphop and hate sxratching, and the could apprecciate it. Other than that you couldnt reach those people anyother way. Its breaking barrierss down. I love it. IMO

Guest Mike Reezy
Hehe! BTW - Mike, how did you get to go to the Octagon? I bet that was a cool experience man. I'd be shaking if I tried to cut with Q standing next to me. I felt nervous the first time I cut on Skype with Dee! lol.

I met Q at a film festival at Great America in San Jose CA. Obvy I showed hi my TAT, thats when Yoga took the pic of my that is on www.turntabletv.com . I then went to the QFO tour in Boulder, CO. I snuck my GL! in, and when I met up with Yoga and Q, they remembered me from the film festival. I asked if I could film, and Yoga put me on stage 2 feet from Q! This footy was later to become the World premiere of Qbert on the QFO as seen on Skratchworx.com . heres the links to to original footy posted.

http://www.skratchworx.com/topsecretqfo.html

After that I was just maintaining email contact with Q. He emailed me and told me he was having a party before he left for a tour, so I drove 60 miles to Daly City, and had a blast.

Q was mad funny constantly taking beer bottles and marijuanna related items out of the view of shots. They all talk shit to eachother so much. When I got there the 1st thing Q sauid when I walked in the door ws ,"what? did you microwave your hat?" not "hi" or "hello" but "what? did you microwave your hat?". As the night went on I became more comfortable and even threw some back at him. I called him a midget it was soo funny. UB40 asked him if he was a mechanics son (cuz of the stp shirt) and SlyT kept saying how Q needed to standon a crate to kutt.

overall fun time.