Mad turntablist Inventions

djdj

Here's the deal...

One of the best things about a piece of vinyl is that the music is REALLY there. If you take a paper cup and a push a pin through the bottom, spin the vinyl on a pencil, you can touch the groove and HEAR the music. No such possibility with tape, cd, md, whatever....

(One of the best explination I know for us still using them) anyway...

What about some mad inventions for turntablists of the future...

Start rolling on...

1: A Paper Turntable. Fold it up, put it in your pocket or carry it, folded up, in a vinyl sleeve (Variation: A Flat metal TT to carry in your record bag. Sweet!)

2: Imagine a cable, tendril like, with a needle tip embedded in the tip. Rather than a fixed tone arm, you could move it around like a dentists drill and jump to different parts of the vinyl. (Variation: Five or six arms adjusted to touch 5 or 6 seperate sounds on the vinyl)

more... :bold:

Edited by djdj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need any new inventions personally. I used to think that scratching had reached it's peak years ago and that there was nothing else that anyone could do, but I was totally wrong. I still think there's loads more that can be done on one turntable and a mixer.

Effectively, any invention for the turntables is a step away from the original. After all, aluminium violins never took off, and you still can't beat an ordinary acoustic guitar at a fire party.

Still, We are here to innovate. (Ten years ago the QFO was only an idea in someone's head)

What about a Vinyl sorter : Scan your list of tracks in the computer, press a button and the original vinyl will pop up from the box/case it's in. Like the old dukenbox style.

or...

A joystick fixed to a mixer for 360Degree 7.1 surround scratchin.

or....

Instant feedback in parties with a system that allows listeners to request the dj without ever speaking to him. Just hit the track on the screen and its sent wireless-ly to the booth..

Or one i'm waiting for.

An acoustic turntable. (modernist gramaphone). You could then take your turntable on the street for some impromptue busking. Sweet!

ez!

Capa'D :cool:

A joystick fixed to a mixer for 360Degree 7.1 surround scratchin.
The O7 ISP edition has that - something like it anyway.

Instant feedback in parties with a system that allows listeners to request the dj without ever speaking to him. Just hit the track on the screen and its sent wireless-ly to the booth..

I've been in clubs in London where you could text your requests. You could also text messages and they'd appear on a big screen.

this shit is cool! Everytime I add an invention someone has a link so I can go get it. Dope!!

So...

A challenge!?

What about a visual version of Final Scratch, where you could litterally scratch the images in a .mpeg or .avi, whatever? So as to combine a dj and vj experience

or...

an iPod-sized mixer. Two vols and Fader with eq's, plug's etc, on the side. Could then use RCA, plug into mates stereo and mix mp3s live. Niiiccce!!!

I've been in clubs in London where you could text your requests. You could also text messages and they'd appear on a big screen.

they have that at the litten tree in stafford.

messages like I LIKE FISH:u lukin sxy babes xxxxxx

over and over

Guest Mike Reezy
Yeah they do actually! I try and avoid going in there if possible.

How about the invention that im making right now? A portable 7" sxratch unit w/ built in PCV fader.

It will run off of a 9 volt batterey (no motor). It will have stereo line in, (mp3's) and headphone out. There will be a volume control on the MP3 in, and on the Hedphone out.

The CF will have reverse. Also the whole setup will be completely symettrical.

The tonearm is beneath the record so that you have more area and to minimize clutter on top, lessen breakages, and allow for an easy way to track the record nicely.

Thats about it, Im almost done.

On another note, make an all in one hybrid cd/turntable [think gemini newest coming shit] in the style of the QFO but more comfortable with every fader being like the one main fader on the QFO.

But make it a musical scale note turntable, with 7 buttons one for each note, and each button would also have the ability to be switched to flat or sharp. This is baysically what Ricci Rucker has stated he would make if he got a chance to (cant wait for that shit).

Only instead of making the turntable set in one concrete mode and then making all the notes on the record C, (the mathematics of the ttable is figured off of this) you could somehow make the 7 notational pitch buttons programmable.

They would have to be a completely digital turntable is my guess. Like you set the pitch, then hold oneof the 7 note buttons down, and it saves that pitch setting to that note button. You could have a few modes. One is regular number pitch mode,then notational mode. It kinda gets confusing thinking about it.

Also, pitch foot pedal ability, big LCD(think ttx), totally portable w/ built in solar panel+inverter. Also make it really light.

Last and not least, I want it waterproof, so I can kutt at pool parties and in the shower

O i forgot, It has 100Gig USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394 Harddrive , +DVD/CD drive, and SD memory card slot. Itwould read/handle any format.

You would never need another ttable other than this one.

Thank me later

All this shit has been thought of years ago. Me and 2ndHand used to talk about possible turntable innovations in the late 80's.

Is there any need for a truly portable turntable? i.e. battery powered. Do you really need to practice cutting on the beach or in the back of a car? Personally I don't think so.

How can you make a turntable with a musical scale instead of numbers? It's totally dependent on the note that's playing when the scale is at 0. As for foot pedals, that's something that was talked about 15 years ago.

It's all very well thinking of these inventions, but whether they are warranted is another matter. Cutting in the shower? No. You're in there for 5 minutes. You don't need to pay cash for a waterproof turntable/mixer combo.

Guest Deeswift

Yea, turntables outsell guitars cause everyone including my dad wants to be a DJ, it's just basically watering the scene down. Too much quantity and not enough quality, unfortunately.

Yeah maybe. The difference is though, that nearly all DJs sound the same to me these days. Give it another 20 years and there will be some wicked DJs. I'm that bored with it I don't even listen to "scratch" music anymore. It's as stale as the toast I've just eaten.

Guest Deeswift

That's the problem, everything's stale. I really do think that scratching peaked at the end of the 90's. I could count the quality releases I've heard since then on one hand. Bangzilla was pretty good, but doesn't seem to have lasting qualities like DPSM or something, and the last great turntable album I heard was Wave Twisters. D-Styles album didn't do much for me, and as for Ricci, forget it. I've had more enjoyment listening to someone like Ryan posting occasional files.

Something different needs to be done to move it forward somehow, and I think it's rooted in the beats. People won't really step outside regular 4/4 timings at 80 - 100 bpm, and that's it. Along with turntables comes a style of music, and the style of music is stale because it's so limited. Sometimes you get a DJ who uses a 3/4 timing, or 6/8, and really thinks they're somehow adventurous. This music is standing over it's own grave, which has already been dug, and it's wondering whether or not to jump in.