Controller One review

Steve

anyone got any tangible suggestions of the practicality of this revolutionary new product?

20 of them working off a score with african dancers, harp and string section.

1 controller 1 with a banjo and washboard, UGGHHHH

you can play anything if you do it with the right intention, i believe the controller 1 will seperate the talkers from the do-ers. I just need to raise up the cash!

I don't understand... did ricci type that long post to "the scratch scene" or to the author of that review.

I think anyone in "the scratch scene" could have full well figgured out that its a complete crap review. Unless you coppied what he wrote to the author to everyone else, that entire thing seems like a bit of a waste of time.

if being a dickhead is stating your purpose with belief like that then im a fucking cock-forehead having mother fucker

Its not only about stating your purpose and having strong beliefs, its about doing it with respect. You can have the strongest beliefs in the world doesnt mean you have to disrespect. It the ruck did all his ranting and raving that everyone does but with respect I wouldnt call him a dickhead. Just because you think everything you say is right or meaningful to you doesnt mean you cant give respect when you speak to others who oppose your views. Thats all im saying.

lol, I can't really blame the guy for the review, like if I didn't know about scratching, then I'd prolly be saying the same type of thing... but he should've thought like 'why is someone putting so much effort into this, it can't be just to play record'...

and on the controller one in general... I'm going to have to see it in action... I'd honestly take one over a normal table just cuz of the options, not with the pedal though I reckon, but I don't think it's going to be revolutionary... it's a stepping stone, but I still think there's going to be even bigger things changing with the turntable's capabilities in the near future...

I don't think this is the be all and end all though, I don't think you're going to whip out your turntable and start playing the lead guitar for your band or anything yet, lol, but I think the biggest thing is being able to play things in key and that... like it'd be dope to combine with soundcraftsman and that ya know, that'd open up some possibilities... I dunno about the straight tone thing tho, like ruck talks about dropping a tone record... if you want tones, swamp has tons o' tones out already... but if you're going to be playing tones all day, whip out the keyboard...

shit is next, you fail to see it? who cares.

totally agree with you 2tall, and your later comments.

fucking fair play to anyone whjo has passion, and is willnig to defend soemthing he/she loves

he[ruck] is sticking up for all of us with that reply..and unlike most people, hes doing it with a well thoguht and articulate responce .. what would hav ebeen the point saying 'shut up ass hole, you eat dog turds for xmas' or someother spouting off shit...

but then again - as 2tall says - anyone who cant see this already isnt worth wasting time trying to convince.

any great invention has people to short sighted to recognise it.. im not saying the C1 is gonna be revolutionary but as vekked says - id fucking have one!

I think the whole thing is a pretty fruitless endeavor. Yes, it widens the range of tones that one can produce on cue with a turntable, but short of ditching the platter altogether in favor of a table full of buttons, melodic solo compositions won't ever come close to touching anything that can be produced with a classic instrument.

I believe that the controller one is going to bring a lot of new possibilites to the scratch musician. Hopefully if i get into the ACM next year (applying end of this summer) i'll be able to focus on learning on how to use them and make tracks with them, i was told they'd get a couple in as soon as they're out.

I really like the concept of the Controller 1.

You can select 8(?) different pitches without getting your hand off the Vinyl, therefore you can make those pitch-changes so fast that you can actually use them as a new additional technique as you don't lose the control over the Vinyl or the fader while tapping those buttons.

Furthermore it is far superior to the method of controlling the speed with your hand (at least for longer turns), as you can only maintain a constant pitch for about a half of one turn before the tonearm gets in the way or you have to change the position of your arm which makes it nearly impossible to maintain the exat same speed for one or more full turns. With the pitch control this won't be a problem anymore.

But I don't think that the controller can replace classic instruments as you can only change the tune and the volume but are still limited to the "color" and all the other stuff I can't express in english which are after all determined by the sample you use and more or as important for the character of the music as tune and volume. Though it would work out fine for shorter sequences I think.

If the controller one could also be used as a midi input too it could easily become the new high-end "standard", a pity it doesn't have this feature.

I hope the whole thing will be released soon at a reasonable price (under 1000$), so that it can reach out to more people, which would help to establish the controller 1 and take away the "freaky" aspect some people (the one reviewer) joke about.

one last question: Does the Controller one has a BPM detector?

you still could, for example at the mo with locked tones i sometimes use my left hand ont he fader and my right hand on eq control to filter sound.

With a controller one, i presume it wud be similar. Left hand on fader and right hand playing melodies with buttons.

Its going to take a while to get used to to scratch cut and play melodies tho

people always knock the person who can articulate their opions, its pathetic, sometimes its good to take your time, at least he speaks about something and has the heart and will and belief in himself to do something creative with his LIFE. For that i always have respect for ricci rucker.

well said 2 tall.

the controller 1 is ric's "baby" so to say, and it is to some degree the materialized result of his thoughts/ concepts about (turntable) music. so it is obvious why he's passionate about it. to me it would have seemed rather stupid if he had written something like "that review sucks - the controller 1 is dope". that would be pointless. but he wants to communicate/ share his musical concepts...

ric makes music (and designed the c1) because he loves it, that's why he gets passionate! just think of scetchbook: he and mike could have made at least 2 to 4 bucks more cash with every single cd if they had choosen a cheap ass 2-page-booklet, but instead they choose to have this sick designed 50-page-booklet (one of the sickest booklets i've ever seen) - because they were so convinced of the music/ concept that they wanted the design/ whole package to back that up.

He reminds me of Howard Hughes...

"If you have a passion, limits don't exist. Follow yours, and keep the meaning in your life. The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."

except you aren't really going to be doing a whole lot with the fader while pressing buttons.

thats your mind putting limitations on it, you can cut just fine whilst also scratching and if your fast you can play notes all over the scale, i got it in 2 mins, have a go -really its easier than you might think

do you know when they're out 2tall? and the price? i heard from the acm thats it might be around the 6-700 pound mark.

I'm just thinking cos i'm possibly heading over to ny this sumer to stay with my mate and i might save and get one from ttlab. but i doubt i'd be able to earn that much with the hours i work these days, and exams and stuff coming up lol

this whole forum game is one big idea factory with no nutsack

I agree with you alot 2tall. Especially on respect people that do instead of talk. But...

I think the resaon the "messageboard game" gets to you is because your a part of it. I get alot of inspiration from these boards and YES they do transalte into real creations in the REAL world.

The friendship I have with Derive and iExist, (the two other tablist in my town) has a whole lot to do with this board. Not to mention when we visited Austin, I had a friend DJ Diggla, to hang with becuase of this board. ALot of instrumentals posted and ideas debated have become backbones for some of my art/music.

Sure the message board game is one big idea factory, but whether you have the nutsack to go out and actually create, has to do with the individual. You cant just group us all into a whole, otherwise you ARE lumped in with us "nutsackless brainstormers."

Everyone says GET OFF THE WEB AND GO CREATE IN THE REAL WORLD! I say, find your inspiration where YOU can, then translate it into a "tangible medium" whether it be painting or playing spoons or whatever.

If i let only whats in front of my nose dictate my actions and thoughts, I would be very closed minded from this shitty city.

There's no speaking to the ruck. He's far too stubborn and arrogant. All this turntable revolution crap is utter bullshit. Big fucking deal if you have pitch presets I say.

If you can't grasp the possibilities...then its NOT for you. People who know, KNOW. Those who don't can stick to cutting ahhh for the rest of their lives and complaining on msg boards.

Guest Vekked
There's no speaking to the ruck. He's far too stubborn and arrogant. All this turntable revolution crap is utter bullshit. Big fucking deal if you have pitch presets I say.

If you can't grasp the possibilities...then its NOT for you. People who know, KNOW. Those who don't can stick to cutting ahhh for the rest of their lives and complaining on msg boards.

you mean the turntable can do more than just ahh? is superseal 2 out?

Guest Vekked

on the real though, I definately think this is going to be better than current turntables, and this technology will probably replace normal pitch adjustments on future scratch turntables, but I have to agree with max on the revolutionary thing, it's not going to make people able to bust out super complex solo's and replace guitarists/pianists, etc, etc, in bands or anything... it'll give you some more melodic possibilities on releases and long samples, but a lot of the limitations are still there, and think of how much control we have with the vestax and numark decks right now, and how many people are actually using it to their advantage... woody? that's about it, so now the format's changed to an octave worth of buttons rather than a slider, most of the people who didn't use the options before probably aren't going to use them now...

also, with this new technology, people are going to have to start getting some more music theory under their belt, because when you're dealing with precise pitches and melodies, you can't just blindly throw samples together, you'll have to keep things in key, follow scales, etc, etc, to take advantage of it... I think a lot of people will get a surprise when they get this new deck and realize they don't actually know enough about music to really use it...

sure it will open up possibilities, and like I said, almost definately be better than a regular table, but there's going to be a wake up call to some people who dish out all the $$ for them, and make the exact same caliber of stuff they were before...

also as I've said before, I know there's going to be other upgrades in turntable technology in the future that I'm guessing will be revolutionary, because there's definately room to grow now that we're not limited to purely analog technologies... soon the hybrid digital/analog stuff is going to drop, giving you the best of both worlds, and the digital tech's gonna get even more precise... some more precise control with analog pitch isn't the be all and end all, though it'll be nice no doubt

People miss the point...."its still not a keyboard...its still not a guitar" well no shit shelock...ITS A TURNTABLE.

It has a unique aesthetic and properties....its like a synth but not....its percussive but not a drum....etc.

Most people who will buy this will be wasting their money for the sheer fact most heads are either:

A) not making music to a point where they could utlize it beyond novelty tone 'routines'

B) just see it as a cool toy

To me...shit.....this is like if I was a guitar player and only had ONE string for 28 years and NOW someon lets me have SIX? I'd say that's enough reason to be excited....new combinations along with hands free pitching.

People will become virtuoso soloists....etc...you look at d-styles and ric and can't see that EVER happening? People are tripping hard.

I just think its hilarious the different forums I've read that are immediately dismissive to the significance of this deck.

Ah well....all I know is I plan to get one. gyeeeeah.

Guest Vekked
To me...shit.....this is like if I was a guitar player and only had ONE string for 28 years and NOW someon lets me have SIX? I'd say that's enough reason to be excited....new combinations along with hands free pitching.

People will become virtuoso soloists....etc...you look at d-styles and ric and can't see that EVER happening? People are tripping hard.

well, I dunno, in my opinion a more accurate metaphor would be, this is like if I was a guitar player, and I had 1 string without frets, now I have a string with frets, because you still can't hit chords, and the range still isn't that huge (or at least the usable range for most samples won't be that huge due to the pitch being relative to speed of the turntable, therefore changing the length of the sample also), but the pitches will be more precise... and in this same sense I don't think that it will be used for virtuoso-esque soloing, but I definately think people like d, ric, woody, and then on a more local level, people like you, and 2tall, will probably be able to use this tool to their advantage, because you're already exploiting the turntable musically as it is... but I think this is just a stepping stone, we haven't reached the top yet nah mean, but ya, anyone who thinks this won't be any different/better than a normal deck is a bit off, but I agree it won't be the revolution either...

but there's no sense trying to predict it's outcome yet really, when it comes down to it, I'm excited to see what'll come out when some musical cats get their hands on it, and I'm pissed that I'll never have one unless I steal it, lolll

Here is a little story...

I went to Guitar Center to get a new vestax table. The sales guy tried to sell me a stanton or a Technics. I told him I really wanted the extra torque and the EXTRA PITCH, He say "if you speed songs up faster than 8% they sound like chipmunks." I say "yes, but I can create entire scales and octaves with a single tone on a vestax." He says "if you want to make melodies get a keyboard." I says "Yeah, but I am a turntablist not a keyboardist." A osrt of light bulb went off in his head, and he started asking about creating melodies with the vestax.

I see the advantage the controller one in that way. I want to use my tables as a complete production tool. Just think, if you can manipulate tones in this way with a controller one, and the USB serato controls sounds off the computer. I see it as only a matter of time, until the turntable becomes a full blown midi controller. I like these small advances. They are all just a lil sneak peak at was in store for the future. I wont need ten external samplers and triggers.