Sample? I nearly shat.

It could be a different master, and it could be one channel of a stereo recording where the vocal section isn't there... It might even be a different track, parts of Cold Feet could almost make Protect Ya Neck by Wu Tang but that's another Albert King track with a very similar sound.

i had a fuck about with the OP tune Dopp

http://www.djwaxon.com/audio/20110807/11CC.mp3

its not good or anything but just shows you my approach to a tune like this. Chopping your loop gives you a totally different angle to come at it from.

the white noise all appears to be on one channel of the original, and the other channel seems pretty clean. I recorded it in mono like a bonehead though, and couldn't be bothered to record it again.

Yeah that's a totally different way of looking at it! I think the MPC lends itself much better to this kind of approach though. I was so tempted to dig it out this weekend because I've got something I'd like to do on it. Anyway I don't want to get bogged down in equipment issues.

I think that beat was kinda cool, it had its charms. That's interesting about wipiing off the noise on one channel, might look into it. I think style wise though I have some issues with chopping.

The way I see it (and this is just my take on it), is that I want any sample I use to rmain recogniseably intact. I think chopping it would rob it of its "essence" as a distinct portion of music. That's the way I feel based on the kind of production I like. It's more an aesthetic choice than a sonic one. Not aesthetic, I can't think of the right word, it's late but a kind of "spirit of the game" choice. Like chopping a sample is bending the "rules", the rules existing in my head only.

• 4 months later...

I think these days if you're gonna use a 24s sample then you need to chop it up and flip it to be honest. This has to be hardest part of production IMHO. Sometimes a sample sounds so good as a loop it's impossible to imagine it any other way (something I really struggle with).

As far as using plugins goes - I think there's benefit to trying to make the beat as good as you can without effects. Sometimes using effects draws you away from focusing on the simple things like chopping, filtering and mixing the samples as best you can.

All this said, my beats are shite so I'd take my comments with a substantial helping of salt. The most important thing is to just keep doing your thing and have fun!

PS. I'm at work so can't check the sample but I've sampled 10CC myself before so can't wait to get home and see if you've used the same one!

Peace