DV Drummer's Album Sample Challenge - VOTE!

DJ Rock Well

Who wins?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the winner?

• Psychedelic Schizoprenic
    • Rock Well & Dubba Dutch
    • Flexinoodle (Bungus Monkarian)
    • Symatic
    • Fayc

Psychedelic Schizophrenic

https://soundcloud.com/psychedelic_schizophrenic/straight-out-of-eton

Rock Well & Dubba Dutch

https://soundcloud.com/dj-rock-well/rock-well-dubba-dutch-rough-break

Flexinoodle

Symatic

Fayc

https://soundcloud.com/faycbeats/dv-battle-pete-york-unfinished

Voting closes at the end of play on Tuesday the 5th, new sample up soon after.

Ive just sat and listened to these in one sitting and ive come to one conclusion

Why has everyone made a mix that sounds like it was made in the 1990s for this battle ?

#Weirdcoincidencesinmusicmaking

My missus walked in at one point and said "is this some old stuff of yours youve got on " ? Lol

@Flexinoodle

You fucking bastard !

that change at around the 00.37 mark in your mix has been ringing in my head like a doorbell for 3 days now

And i really like it hehe

• Like 2

After a further listen and now I have more time to comment.

Was very close between symatic and rock. If sys went a bit further I think he would have clinched it to be honest.

Another great battle and glad it made me finish something (or at least get something going) as has been a while.

I will post up my beat when I progress it further.

Bring on the next battle.

Cheers

• Like 2

I liked all of these, and I'm not just saying that to seem nice. Psychedelic Schizophrenic with the Boris Johnson jangly Eton vibe won it for me, as it made a strong political statement, in my mind at least.

Scratching in the tracks - a legitimate production technique, but we all like cuts here so it always feels like sneaky extra icing on the cake?

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Thanks for the votes Deft and Flex, glad you enjoyed the beat :)

Really tight to pick a beat to vote for at the moment :)

• Like 1

Scratching in the tracks - a legitimate production technique, but we all like cuts here so it always feels like sneaky extra icing on the cake?[/font][/color]

Interesting point Deft! Potentially maybe, although in the past it doesn't seem to have correlated with winning. Right from the start of these, I've tried to encourage that anything goes - it's makes the voting and battling side of things far more disjointed and random but I think these challenges have always far more about learning shit and sharpening your own skills than beating anyone. I'd say "beating yourself" but I know better than to leave myself open to that one ;)

On that front, right now I'm at the point where after getting into making beats through DJing, then focusing just on beats, I want to go full circle and start including cuts in beats I'm making. After Si, Joe, Darcy and others do it, I'm even more inspired. Like you say, it's definitely a skill to execute on all fronts and the last two beats I done with cuts have been a steep learning curve.

Back to the program - I had my first listen last night and definitely liked what I heard all round! I love hearing other people's ideas on the same source material, stuff I never even considered that I suppose was right in front of me all the time. I'm gonna have a second listen tonight and make a decision.

I had my first listen last night and definitely liked what I heard all round! I love hearing other people's ideas on the same source material, stuff I never even considered that I suppose was right in front of me all the time. I'm gonna have a second listen tonight and make a decision.

That's what so super dope with the DV beat battles IMO :8

Still can't decide who should get my vote :unsure:

• Like 1

Don't close voting till at least Wed. USA holidays and family reunions been going on so have some sketch ass Internet... Can't peep the tunes till Tuesday.

• Like 1

Great work all round as I really liked everyone's beats but after much consideration it was a very close called between Symatic and the bad bwoy crew from Rye. But with about 0.1mm thickness between them I went for Rock Well & Dubba Dutch, well done on a dope beat and dope cuts.

• Like 2

As the world's laziest fuck, it would be cool if everyone uploading their track for these sample compo's appended the samples they used - would be interesting to see what was used in its original context.

• Like 2

Flexinoodle gets my vote this time but sterling work all round from everyone as usual

Sy's beat was a dirty little Funk monster of a break and was a big suprise because it isn't a style I'd normally associate with him -its a shame you didnt have enough time to do more with it Sy in my opinion

Im liking Rock Well's (and Dubbas)beats with the added cuts

as i think it suits your style particularly well tbh (as we saw with the Italian cop movie battle)

I think you should definitely keep incorporating those elments in your future mixes Rock

Pysch your mixes always make me smile mate -dont change !

me and my mates had a spot of spontaneous drunken hip hop Dad dancing in the kitchen at the weekend when we played your track lol -the cricket sample was hilarious and the title of the tune was wicked as well

Fayc was consistant as ever with another head nodder and you really have a great sound to your productions mate

I reckon it would suit you to hook up with a good MC or use some sort of cut up vocals as well in the tracks you make Fayc

Flexinoodle your mix did my head in and it was in a totally good way -that first little riff and the wicked change at 00.37 ish was right up my street

the mix was short but i really liked the ideas you came up with for it

great sounds on the drums and i would have liked to hear some sub bass synth on top

I hope you can develop it further Flexi and make a finished track for us too hear in the future

Top work once again fellas

bring on the next battle !

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

yeah i wish i'd spent longer on mine.... at the moment it is just a sample and a break. i always use only the source material to challenge myself and learn weird ways of fixing problems rather than drag on a nice beefy drum kit or whtever. not to diss people doing things any other way, this is just what makes sense to me....

normally my beats for these have ended up sounding different cos i'm either trying to emulate another style or i'm deliberately trying to make it as different from the original as possible. this one was real quick and slap dash, which is why its full of crackles and pops :)

I just slowed down a break, compressed the fuck out of it, then grabbed a loop, pitch shifted it down, sounded too happy so i chopped it in half and pitch shifted the 2nd half again to get a different vibe and then put some echo on it, then i hit play on the loop and recorded me muting the 2 tracks. to make it better i'd clean up the drums to remove the pops, i'd add a bassline and probably find a 2nd sample to a/b with

• Like 2

Flexinoodle your mix did my head in and it was in a totally good way -that first little riff and the wicked change at 00.37 ish was right up my street

the mix was short but i really liked the ideas you came up with for it

great sounds on the drums and i would have liked to hear some sub bass synth on top

I hope you can develop it further Flexi and make a finished track for us too hear in the future

Nah, it's only a bit of fun for the battle :) (No point taking it further, but i will upload the samples and Maschine project file if anybody wants it)

Couldn't really add sub unless i strimmed a single cycle out of it or something, I only ever want to use the source material on stuff like this, just love the limitation of that way of working (Probably could have got a bit of a bass going if i hadn't been just using the speakers on the macbook air hahahahaha)

Cheers for the vote :)

Edited by Flexinoodle
  • Like 2

As the world's laziest fuck, it would be cool if everyone uploading their track for these sample compo's appended the samples they used - would be interesting to see what was used in its original context.

As I used so little, this I can do :d

http://www101.zippyshare.com/v/iqqSaH3C/file.html

The first (melodic) sample that plays is where the bass, stabs and drone comes from - individual notes chopped out and some re-pitched for the bassline. All processed differently. Then there's a tiny little break from a long silly drum solo I chopped down into individual hits, processed and resequenced to make own shonky faux-Amen break. The third sample is a break from a different record I chopped out and high passed some hats and percussion sounds from. Then of course there were the vocals samples as you can hear them, cut and cued by Paul. One other thing to point out there is the bits in the cutting that sound like words repeating and dropping pitch aren't sample chops with pitch automation, but Paul re-cueing sounds in Traktor as the turntable platter winds down... old school automation ;)

• Like 1

Pysch your mixes always make me smile mate -dont change !

me and my mates had a spot of spontaneous drunken hip hop Dad dancing in the kitchen at the weekend when we played your track lol -the cricket sample was hilarious and the title of the tune was wicked as well

Thanks for the kind words Dan it's very much appreciated mate and I'm glad your enjoying my mixes :)

Will zip them up and upload them Deft, with a quick what I done write up