Tapatalk updated

Steve

I've just updated it again and I noticed that I had not entered in the API key into DV so that push notifications work - I assume that means they've always been disabled. Anyway, I've sorted that now and enabled them.

I have also disabled all monetisation links/ads - I had no idea they were even there until today. They made us a whole 86 Cents in the last 5½ months, lol. Anyway - they're gone now.

I made a thread about it, but I deleted it.

Taptalk are changing their business model, so they are going to release the app for free, then make money through ads - that cash will be shared with forum owners who leave the ads turned on, but they can be turned off. I looked at a demo image that shows how the ads look and I don't like it at all. Some of the ads looked exactly like they were regular threads, aside from a little blue symbol at the top-right that denotes they are actually ads. There were also regular banner-type ads.

I got an email earlier to say that they are going to be testing this new ad model for the next 30-90 days, before rolling it out fully. The email implied that there would be no way to turn the ads off during this testing phase, so I started a thread about it just to let people know. However, when I logged into the Tapatalk settings page on their site, I noticed that there was a "Monetization" option that was already enabled on DV and that we'd earned a few Cents per month in the last few months - as nobody had said anything and I don't use the app, I had no idea. Anyway, I turned off the monetisation links and ads, which I assume means we won't get any ads in the app during this testing phase (which is why I deleted the thread about it).

I hardly ever browse the forum on my phone, but if I do I just use the mobile skin unless I want to check out the Shoutbox, then I switch to the full version of the site. The next update to the Shoutbox will enable it for the mobile skin too (users can turn it off if they don't want to see it though).

Sometime this year, Invision are releasing IP.Board 4.0, which will be a pretty major update to the forum software we use here. Given how much the use of mobiles/tablets has increased since version 3.0 was originally released 4 years ago, I'm hoping that the mobile skin sees a fair few improvements. What I've seen of 4.0 looks great though. It improves a bunch of stuff, including the rather janky editor, and it adds new features too, including @mentions so if I type "@Vekked, what do you think of this?" in a post, you will get a notification which you can click on to go straight to the thread.

woord, yea I made a forum with IPB and honestly was kinda overwhelmed with it as far as trying to customize stuff. Posting/moderating was easy, likely cuz I've been on here and other IPB forums for nearly a decade, lol, but I had to get a lot of help and the IPB tutorials aren't super helpful. I'm gonna try out Xenforo since they just got out of the legal issues with vBulletin and they have a converter from IPB to XF. My site's super small tho, not really risking anything by making the conversion.

I had a quick glance at Xenforo, but I'm not a member of any forums that use it. I've heard good things about it though. It seems like all the best coders from vBulletin jumped ship to there. As long as you backup your database before you attempt a conversation, you'll be fine.

The stuff I suck at is SEO. I literally have no clue what I should be doing in that section of the Admin CP, so I've done nothing at all. That's probably why we get like 1 new member a week if we're lucky. :d

• 1 month later...

Updated: -

flag poll in thread functions
optimize tapatalk hosted image display
fix category unread status may incorrect issue
enhance mention push notification compatibility
optmize content display with html
optimize quote citation
optimize smartbanner
optimize push notification
overall code optimization