Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

Guest Symatic

the raswax fader coming out this christmas kids!!!*

*any likeness between the information contained in this post and actual rea life events is purely coincedental. "raswax" and "fader" and "christmas" are all registered trademarks of applecorp who reserve the right to pull the internet out of the back of your head at any point forthwith hitherto wigwam hocus pocus.

• Like 2

I wouldnt mind buying a record that was single sided. So mek it clear and stik a 12" sticker on one side so it shows through. It will probably show through a lot clearer stuck to the record anywayz. like ad says illuminous colour coded sections. Of course to be the ultimate record id want samples that all line up/ tie in with each other for needle dropping fun and to get the most out of the colour coding. To really top it off make the last section a traktor tone/or even both so I can cut with skiples and instantly switch to samples of my name or disses or whatever. Pisses me right off when im doing well on the cut and I needle drop onto the wrong bit. Doin it in da club wud be sometimes impossible this wax wud solve it. Id buy it defo!

Fresh, I got 1 customer!...

This is why I was pushing to inspire Clear Vinyl being pressed before I release another "Precicions Incisions" 7 inch record... It Allows for custom graphics and aligning of sounds....I Shouldn't of opened this can of worms though haha..Now my ish might not have as much thunder...There is more to it though but that's as much as I am going to say for now...Peace...

Look forward to hearing it focus lad 😉

Hey, do any of you guys have a Raiden fader?

I have one but not liking the velcro.

Last month I was a UDJ? session here in Toronto and the guy who started it (Lee) who deals heavily with modding and fixing DJ gear had an incredible portable setup.

His PT01 had a start stop, which I'd love to do myself. But his beta raiden was modded with magnets on the bottom. I don't even think the fader itself was from raiden either,his felt more substantial, not plasticy like the raiden. Anyway, I want to put magnets in my raiden as I too have a PT01 and fortunately the PT01 has a metal top. But I thought to myself, why bother with trying to insert magnets when I could just buy either a heavy duty or regular magnet like the ones on fridges. I'm sure it's fairly cheap to buy a strip and just stick on the bottom.

But I'm not sure it'll hold on as tightly as stronger magnets. Any suggestions?

Edited by Acts_One

Guest Symatic

I wouldnt mind buying a record that was single sided. So mek it clear and stik a 12" sticker on one side so it shows through. It will probably show through a lot clearer stuck to the record anywayz. like ad says illuminous colour coded sections. Of course to be the ultimate record id want samples that all line up/ tie in with each other for needle dropping fun and to get the most out of the colour coding. To really top it off make the last section a traktor tone/or even both so I can cut with skiples and instantly switch to samples of my name or disses or whatever. Pisses me right off when im doing well on the cut and I needle drop onto the wrong bit. Doin it in da club wud be sometimes impossible this wax wud solve it. Id buy it defo!

This is why I was pushing to inspire Clear Vinyl being pressed before I release another "Precicions Incisions" 7 inch record... It Allows for custom graphics and aligning of sounds....I Shouldn't of opened this can of worms though haha..Now my ish might not have as much thunder...There is more to it though but that's as much as I am going to say for now...Peace...

Look forward to hearing it focus lad

I might have mentioned it before but while we wait for focus' mega-record theres always this -

Dub Studio in Bristol have a deal going where they'll cut a pair of clear 1mm thin vinyl dubplates for £45.

http://www.dubstudio.co.uk/dubplates/browse/special-offers/package-deals/battle-plates/battle-plates-clear

they cut one side on each record so battle dj's can mark up the blank side with any design or cue point system they want.

i have just got one of these 1mm dubs (mines normal black vinyl) and they are really good, the thinner ones are a good wieght to cut with.

plus you can put anything you want on there :)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Interesting note from Woody about his Raiden:

Anyone else had problems with the Raiden fader?
I've probably only scratched with it for about 1-2 hours in total since new and it now sounds terrible.
Tried the DeotIT D5 spray they recommended but now it just seems to have a longer cut in
  • Like 1

you can't put a magnet under the RAIDEN - check the picture of the FRISK FADER (page 5) - there you see that it's not running on rails - it's sitting right on the feet of the wipers - push it it down a little and you'll see what i mean :)

another thing to share: the RAIDEN is put into a "HAMMOND 1551 BLK" enclosure - there is not enough space to fit in a regular fader and 3 sockets though - a permanent wire for the turntable would an option though - i thought of a supply box also - having the little hammond fader case and a second one for the bluetooth and power supply but somehow none of my friends was feeling that.. *ignorant bastards*

Guest petesasqwax

Is it not possible to make a battery powered scratch box with a mini-Inno inside? That's a Raiden-killer, right there & with zero PT modding required...

• Like 2

Interesting note from Woody about his Raiden:

Anyone else had problems with the Raiden fader?

I've probably only scratched with it for about 1-2 hours in total since new and it now sounds terrible.

Tried the DeotIT D5 spray they recommended but now it just seems to have a longer cut in

I know Paul has some thoughts on this (when he wakes from his daytime slumber)

Guest rasteri

Is it not possible to make a battery powered scratch box with a mini-Inno inside? That's a Raiden-killer, right there & with zero PT modding required...

I might do something like that as my next project.

Look forward to hearing it focus lad

I might have mentioned it before but while we wait for focus' mega-record theres always this -

Dub Studio in Bristol have a deal going where they'll cut a pair of clear 1mm thin vinyl dubplates for £45.

http://www.dubstudio.co.uk/dubplates/browse/special-offers/package-deals/battle-plates/battle-plates-clear

they cut one side on each record so battle dj's can mark up the blank side with any design or cue point system they want.

i have just got one of these 1mm dubs (mines normal black vinyl) and they are really good, the thinner ones are a good wieght to cut with.

plus you can put anything you want on there :)

Thanks for the support Justin...

Touche Symatic,Toucheeee...

In my defense, these services weren't around in this current form in 1999, now any of the Lathe Cut / Dub Cut Services will make you a clear custom record...Some use a professional Neumann Cutting Lathe and others a Presto K8 Player / Recorder...Still clear is clear and you can make your own graphics...for marking spots or just to beautifying it...

Like I said my design has a tad bit more then just being clear, Definitely not a Mega Record but different.....

You're right though, when I go too abstract with my designs the purpose gets lost :-) ...

Going to ask my Self Questions and Re-evaluate my approach, it's probably best to just drop some ....Ahhhhh Freshesssness and Cut Like Guillotine on a 7.289" Record to make sure it sells well then add the abstract later...:-)

Also gotta find out how the Funk I got off path and ended up back on the internet forums...

I always seem to end up hurting peoples feelings...hahah All freshnesses and for the sake of this scratch nerd stuff, no ill will intended...

Definitely...My homie Dj Flesh One /John Nolting from the bay made a few with the Focus Fader v1.0 back in 2001.

He might be willing to make you one or have some in the lab collecting dust.

He released a Midi Kit that the Fader plugged into and Custom 06 Pro faceplates back in 2002 too.

One of the prototype faders we did also had an oscillator/Tone Generator so you could practice your clicks with it in your headphones while walking haha :-)...

He might be the fastest route for now, if he is still doing custom work...He's work is top notch and he cuts it up nice too, send him a FB message...

Outside of that you'll have to wait for Rasteri or one of my own designs, my take on it is a bit different though and not for everyone...:-)

One of the prototype faders we did also had an oscillator/Tone Generator so you could practice your clicks with it in your headphones while walking haha :-)...

damn - there is always someone that already did it lol that's pretty cool though - i'm concepting an ATARI CUT CONSOLE at the moment - little synth (1OSC) with build in cutting fader....

another waxcutter-thing i thought of was to put in a switch to route my bluetooth input to the cutting fader so you can stream sounds/noises/long notes onto your passive faderbox to train your cuts when beeing in the wilderness...

Guest Symatic

Sorry focus that wasnt meant to come across as a diss!

Im just sayin if people are well keen on gettin the clear thing they can do it through the dubplate route- as we both know how long it takes to press a record...

Guest rasteri

Pretty much finished modding it into my PT-01 now. Here's the steps I followed.

On the main circuit board, removed C8/C18 and connected some cables where they used to be :

Prepped the Vestax PCV fader (I could have left the Vestax circuit board on, but it was removed for cleaning anyway so fuck it)

Drilled and dremmelled holes in the case for the fader, then attached it :

Connected everything to my circuit board, and found a suitable place to mount it next to the power/output board :

Tested and working!

Just gotta figure out where to mount the AUX IN port and we're done!

Album with extra bonus photos : http://imgur.com/a/gux35

• Like 3

Guest rasteri

But yeah, people's comments on this thread seem to indicate that nobody really wants to do this mod themselves, and I don't particularly want to offer a modding service (since my results aren't very professional-looking I'd feel weird about charging for it). So I reckon "Look! I modded my PT-01, here's how" is likely where I'm gonna leave this project for now.

That said, if anyone wants to attempt this mod themselves, I'll sell you the circuit board and a reconditioned/prepped Vestax PCV fader (I have loads) for £70. That price will come down a lot if we wanted to pool resources and get a group order going.

Here's the EAGLE and Gerber files if anyone wants to make the PCB themselves in future, or wants to improve the design : http://www.mediafire.com/download/73a8p132g6f8qqi/nanofaderbox.zip

• Like 1

Hello everybody.. nice to meet you here! looks like i bring here in this nice forum some genius brains through my wax inspektors modded numark post on facebook together.

thx to symatic to search for wax inspektor´after my post and bring him here. mad props to rasteri "dope dope work". today i have tested an ortofon scratch needle with the numark and it fits great in the tonearm :-) the only problem is

the volume is much lower than the numark cheap needle but the sound quality is a lot better :-) i have not read everything here from your posts but what you all together thinking about an amp to make the ortofon louder?

aaah and sorry for my bad english.. im from croatia, born in germany and i understand english 90% but writing english im a bit bad :-(

peace

Edited by Ante Kastela

Guest rasteri

i have tested an ortofon scratch needle with the numark and it fits great in the tonearm :-) the only problem is the volume is much lower than the numark cheap needle but the sound quality is a lot better :-) i have not read everything here from your posts but what you all together thinking about an amp to make the ortofon louder?

That's so fucking sick, does it track much better than the regular needle? Can we see pictures?

Guest rasteri

If I get 10 people to order a PCB it'll bring down the price to around £30 each including refurbished PCV fader. If you don't want the fader, £20.

I might just order some kits at that price anyway and just assemble them as people need. The components are so fucking cheap in bulk it's ridiculous.

• Like 2